Author Topic: Spotters: Which AC 428 fastback is this?  (Read 13105 times)

SunDude

• View Profile
Spotters: Which AC 428 fastback is this?
« on: February 07, 2013, 16:26:28 »
Does anyone know the chassis number of this particular 1967 AC 428 "Frua" fastback?

I took these pictures at the Carmel Concours-on-the-Avenue in August 2012, during the Monterey car week.  The placard in the window said that it belonged to "The L.E. Funt Collection" from Elmhurst, Illinois.

As you can see the car is green with a black interior, RHD and automatic.  The owner had left a copy of the July 4, 1968 issue of Autocar magazine on the driver's seat which might suggest that this particular car is CF 7.

Unfortunately I didn't get a full shot of the car's number plate.  The best I can make out is UUY ???.

Thanks for the help.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 22:05:14 »
That's truly a gorgeous color and it seems to have been restored to perfection. Notice the different shifter on early models. Jeffrey By the way, this is your original color! Stunning!

Emmanuel[:)]

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 16:09:57 »
UUY 924F
   No record of the registration number, the chassis number or the previous owner, perhaps Andy might know.... ?

http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/cruise-the-avenue#slide=51738756

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 19:41:32 »
Looks like it is CF7 & now for sale?
   http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C364223

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 22:29:24 »
Sounds like it though odd why they didn't keep the original perfect  registration number - UPG 428F.

It used to belong to Chuck Maddox who sadly died a few years ago and who often posted on here about it and how I think it was his father who bought it in the UK in the Seventies (?). I often wondered what had happened to the car so really great to see it looking in such excellent condition. In fact this is the finest and most evocative picture I've ever seen of an AC428 by miles, such breathtaking symmetrical lines and what a superb colour....!!

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 23:39:15 »
Thanks for the help confirming that the car was in fact CF 7.  I appreciate it.

And I imagine the "L.E. Funt Collection" on the show placard was someone's idea of a joke, too...?

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 19:10:55 »
Originally posted by SunDude

Thanks for the help confirming that the car was in fact CF 7.  I appreciate it.

And I imagine the "L.E. Funt Collection" on the show placard was someone's idea of a joke, too...?

Image deleted by administrator

Brian , I would imagine this was someones idea of trying to make a 428 look like a white elephant, has it been turned into a 427  replica ?? LOL !

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 20:15:07 »
Wonder if it's been sold, be a shame to see the original press car just drop out of sight....?

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C364223

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 02:45:46 »
CF7 Reg UPG 428F was AC Cars' demonstrator and featured in many period road tests. Whilst being tested by Autocar the car was returned to the factory for footwell ventilation to be fitted.

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 23:55:48 »
Looks like CF 7 is still up for sale. Beautiful !

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C388623

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 18:04:44 »
Pleased to report that CF7 is coming back to the U.K. The new owner has acquired the car in the last few days and is awaiting transfer of title prior to shipping. There are mentions of the car on the 428 Forum in the past. Certainly a stunning looking machine, with some fascinating history. Needs an article in ACtion I think - I shall, in due course, nag the new owner to put pen to paper.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 18:41:16 »
Chuck was a vibrant contributor to this forum, sadly missed.
   It's good to see this fantastic Frua heading home, and I hope it is loved and used in equal measure!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 20:41:21 »
Jeffrey, this is your color!
   Emmanuel[;)]

Rheinubung

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 22:59:56 »
I bid against Chuck Maddox for CF-7 in April or May, 1976. It was owned by an upper management fellow from Foote, Cone & Belding's London office. I would have got it if I hadn't asked the seller to drive it out to Thames Ditton and have the factory report its condition: Chuck Maddox bought it sight unseen for $8K USD. It was the very car, I believe, in the 1968 Autocar road test. I, however, distinctly recall it as painted blue. I visited Maddox at his home in St.Charles, ILL perhaps 10 years later and was dazzled by his excellent car collection (including a '57 F-type Thunderbird he'd gotten in 1957 new from the factory.)
   Rheinubung

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 10:36:12 »
I wanted to buy that beautiful car but the devil wouldn't give me any money for my soul! (Don't ask...)