Author Topic: MKIV part list for radiator fan switch  (Read 7921 times)

AK1131

• View Profile
MKIV part list for radiator fan switch
« on: January 29, 2013, 14:24:31 »
In the past I recall a part list assembled for the MKIV. If this list is available, please direct me to it. I am still on the hunt for a radiator fan switch for my MKIV. I would greatly appreciate any source for this switch.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/1bigfish_photos/DSCN3377.jpg

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 17:46:26 »
Fred,
   I had the same frustration some years ago and gave Otter a hard time for lack of customer support and failure to service their products. This resulted in someone 'unofficially' finding me a couple of switches. Dreadful cheek really as we are looking back a few decades, however Otter Controls being very much in business, with a U.S. presence you have nothing to lose -
   DAVIDON INDUSTRIES INC, 205 Hallene
   Road, Unit 317C, Warwick Rhode Island 02886,
   E-mail: ddinuccio@davidonindustries.com or
   info@davidonindustries.com
   www.davidonindustries.com
   Tel: + 1 401 737 8380 Fax: + 1 401 737 8395
   Or the main U.K. Base http://www.ottercontrols.co.uk/get-in-touch
   Whilst you are at it maybe you should ask what the minimum order would be for them to get the old drawings out and run off a batch? You might also ask them to look at their records and tell you when the last orders were dispatched and to whom. The A.C. orders would have been tiny, but you never know there may have been an electric kettle maker who bought them by the ten thousand and who still has stock.....

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 22:33:14 »
The humble Mini has something similar:

http://www.minispares.com/product/classic/KTP9002.aspx

Rimmer brothers also have these clips & the switch

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-KTP9017

Fits a Rover 200 just out of interest.

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 07:46:20 »
3500 Rover V8 in the SD1 has a similar item i used in a former car

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GVS104
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

AK1131

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 17:04:18 »
Thank you for your help. For everyones behalf, I am pretty sure it is Fan switch, radiator, SPI (GVS104) and Clip, radiator fan switch, SPI (KTP9002)  [8D]

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 20:58:04 »
One thing I found interesting is that the site selling the mini one have their own modified version thats threaded for extra safety.

Guess one has to be carefull to run with the right pressure rad cap so it does not blow out at the locating clip.

Graham

AK1131

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 17:59:58 »
Hold on, done run out and buy this sender. Too small for my old 1986 MKIV. I was told it may fit the newer models. Got another in its way. Lucas no less. As soon as it is installed, I will post the info. PS: I found it on an old MKIV thread.

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 08:00:21 »
hi,

I bury out this thread, 'cause my switch is always faulty, and as the temperatures are going down, the engine doesn't warm enough ... I tried the Mini sender, but like AK1131, it fits the hole but is too small. in fact, the overall diameter is ok, but the recessed part is smaller than the stock unit !

does anybody has an idea of the original part source ?

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 12:42:43 »
Two or three years ago I had a stone smash the blades on my radiator fan and had Thunder Road replace it with a new one that looks the same as the old fan. T-R also fitted an adjustable temp switch which allows me to alter the temp at which the fan cuts in.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 14:06:57 »
We have an 'inline' temp switch in the top hose on the Greyhound, will try to get photo/part numbers this weekend.

lightblue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 16:10:57 »
GVS104 does look similar but it might be worth checking the cut-in/cut-out temperatures.  The original switch in 1082 was rated at 70/60C and the fan never cut out!
   Otter identified the switches as Y-Series and my original was number 02082.  They found a better alternative under number 02012 (85/75C)which Unipart also stocked (#222674).
   I am afraid this was all some 20 years ago so availability has no doubt changed a bit!
   AC eventually found me an 92/82C switch which is ideal but I'm afraid I never did have a part number for that one.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 21:57:59 »
Here you go, Revotec Fan Controller

There is a 'tuning pot' allowing cut in/cut out adjustment, currently set to about 88/82.

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 08:50:09 »
Thanks to Nick and Cobham Cobra, but I do not want to put another switching system, and I'm not a big fan of the variable stuff, such as Revotec or Kenlowe... it has to cut in at a precise temp, what is the interest of making it variable ? furthermore, a capillary system like the Kenlowe one is a source of leaking (ask me how I know) ... if needed, I prefer to fit a manual override on the thermostated circuit.

I'll post a picture of the mini part and the original part to show the difference...

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 09:32:04 »
FF,
   I read again your "problem"--engine to cold.

That suggests that you don't have a thermostat in the circuit,or its open all the time,not a faulty fan switch,unless you can hear the fan running all the time even when cold.

Re the mini sensor,could you not get an alloy spacer machined down to space it out correctly whilst you track down the correct item?

Graham

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 09:52:25 »
Hi graham,

you may be right, indeed... but the fan cuts in very early, as the temp rises above the 50° mark on the gauge (I checked its relative accuracy with an IR gun)! when the weather is clement/warm, it rises to 90°C and stays there, but when it's cold, it never reachs this temp ... i'll check the thermostat anyway !