Author Topic: Superblower Alternator Mount  (Read 3331 times)

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Superblower Alternator Mount
« on: January 12, 2013, 20:13:43 »
Dear all.

The stock Mustang 5.0 94-95 engine has the alternator mounted on the upper part of the engine on the drivers side (here in the UK). When the Powerdyne supercharger were fitted to those engines, as on the Superblowers, it was mounted where the stock alternator was fitted, and the alternator was relocated to the upper passenger side of the engine. Can anyone tell me where the bracketry for this mount was sourced from? I'm wondering if an adaptor bracket was made by Ford (if so can you see a part number) or if it was obtained from the likes of March Performance or Billet Specialties.
   Many thanks
   Gary

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 16:24:09 »
I was supplying Ford parts to AC for a while. I will look at my records and see if they ordered any alternator mounting parts and post.

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 17:57:38 »
Thanks very much, I'd appreciate that,
   kind regards
   Gary

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 18:08:26 »
Gary.

I can't find any part numbers on mine and much of the bracketry ( which is quite complex) looks as if it was probably knocked up in the AC factory.  Will send you some pics that hopefully give some indication of how it works - but it is quite tricky to get a good shot of the setup.

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 18:53:12 »
Thanks Peter and happy New Year!!

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:52:37 »
I believe its the same as the CRS  if that helps locate  some parts.

I also recall that the water pump may rotate the opposite direction with this belt set up but am not 100% sure so better check(on a CRS)

Graham

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 13:22:05 »
That is certainly exactly the same setup as on my Superblower.  I still can't find any logos or part numbers on it so continue to presume it is something that was specifically fabricated by AC in order to provide clearance for the inner wings and front suspension tower.  The whole set up has a rather "bodged" look to it but certainly provides the required level of strength, rigidity and adjustabiity.

Gary - this photo suggests the bracket that mounts to the cylinder head is bolted to all three holes rather than the two that I had presumed from the photos taken in situ.

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 22:53:08 »
Thanks Graham and Peter for your contributions.

I have been doing some research on relocating the alternator to the passenger side (drivers side in the States!). As previously mentioned, I have not found any aftermarket pulley and bracket manufacturers that do an alternator relocation kit for the 94-95 engines.

I have, on a Mustang forum, found a guy who has made his own system. Here is the link;

http://forums.corral.net/forums/94-95-tech/1093021-anyone-interested-drivers-mount-alt-brackets-2.html

He would appear to have a Vortech supercharger on his engine and has utilised the main charger bracket in order to facilitate the relocation of the alternator. It looks quite a neat and clean system.

Has any Superblower owner swapped their Powerdyne supercharger for a Vortech?? Just wondered if the Vortech would fit in the engine bay??