Author Topic: sender unit  (Read 4478 times)

riverside

• View Profile
sender unit
« on: January 07, 2013, 18:26:41 »
I have a little triangular temp sender unit mounted  to the top of the almost T (110 degrees at a guess) aluminium coolant pipe that runs betwwen Rad and RH water pump.It needs replacing but I am struggling to source a new one. "OTTER" Buxton England is imprinted on the red circular centre piece.
   Are these available?  On a 289 roadster
   Thanks
   Ross

rr64

• View Profile
sender unit
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 21:24:09 »
I don't know of a source but if you find  a stock of them I know several owners that would be interested.

I personally only found one new old stock exact match to the original in my car since I started looking in the mid 1980s.  I have found several ones made in different years, with different color plastic over-moldings, and many with a different temperature actuation points.  Most service parts have a black plastic molding. I have found some with a natural uncolored plastic molding.  During the Cobra production time period there was at least two versions.

Most owners of original cars do without (adapt to manual control with a toggle switch somewhere convenient) or adapt a modern switch of their favorite type and temperature trip point.

I visited a shop in November that has been servicing original Cobras the past few years for owners and they have yet to find a source of exact match new old stock switches either.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

riverside

• View Profile
sender unit
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 21:35:36 »
Will do Dan. It`s the M70 on the RH aide of your pic. Many thanks for posting the pic

rr64

• View Profile
sender unit
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 21:54:05 »
Your welcome. The early one shown was borrowed so I could reverse engineer the steel housing it was in and make photos. The later one is from my red car. Several companies make thermal switches in various temperature ranges that can be adapted by machining an aluminum plate to take the place of the O.E. switch flange.

I just use a toggle switch hidding under the dash. I have heard of people adding a relay to reduce the load passing through the switch if they find a new one.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

rsk289

• View Profile
sender unit
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 22:26:15 »
Don't know if it helps, but this style of Otter switch was also used on sixties MGs and Series Landrovers and, no doubt, several other British vehicles.  Not aware of any current availability new.

rr64

• View Profile
sender unit
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 22:44:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by rsk289

Don't know if it helps, but this style of Otter switch was also used on sixties MGs and Series Landrovers and, no doubt, several other British vehicles.  Not aware of any current availability new.

Yes but beware of operating temperatures they might have. I have several that some dealer or another sold me as being stamped "M70" that turned out to be different a little to a lot. The common ones I find are for some type electric carburetor choke set up stamped with a number in the 30s. I have pictures of parts stamped M80 and M75.

Somewhere along dates were added and I have seen them between Feb.68 through July 85.

Search ebay® USA for Otter switch. There are two black plastic center versions up currently but the sellers don't include any stamped number information.
Dan Case

A-Snake

• View Profile
sender unit
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 00:14:22 »
Dan,
   I have found a red center V60 (just like M70 you pictured) but without any markings on the flange.

riverside

• View Profile
sender unit
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 12:39:39 »
A source to buy others from Jim, or just the one?

rsk289

• View Profile
sender unit
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 13:40:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by rr64
   The common ones I find are for some type electric carburetor choke set up stamped with a number in the 30s.

These are for the thermostatic choke mechanism used on early Jags such as XKs, probably reasonably common for that reason.

A-Snake

• View Profile
sender unit
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 14:40:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by riverside

A source to buy others from Jim, or just the one?

If that question is for me, no I do not have a source for others.
   Sorry...

riverside

• View Profile
sender unit
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 20:18:51 »
I took a chance after reverse engineering the club cobra profile of the same name then consulting the registry to see who owns 2321! Apologies