Author Topic: ACECA Door Latches - PLEASE HELP!  (Read 5799 times)

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
ACECA Door Latches - PLEASE HELP!
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:12:49 »
Happy New Year to you all...

I have read a few postings in the archives about the troublesome door latches, so before you tell me that this topic has been covered elsewhere - it really hasn't.

What I have seen has been a few pictures of the star wheel, a few PDF's of the MGA FHC door mechanism that looks like the ACECA's, but I have seen NOTHING definitive about how to source repairs or replacments for faulty door latches.

As most of you know, I race my car.  Well doors that don't hold tight are a very quick way to get black flagged.  I have a RHD car with a faulty left hand catch.  It is currently being held tight by exterior taping and a tie down strap.  Not good.

My driver's side is starting to get iffy too.

Does anyone know where I can find replacements or repairs for these important parts?

Is there a valid cross reference?

No, I do not wish to modify my latch system unless it is a reasonable bolt on.

Please advise!

Thanks gang.

Cheers,
   Rob

lew

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 20:18:44 »
Rob,
   I once found out about someone in the UK that recons them.I cant recall where I placed the info,getting old!!Give me a few days and see what I can do. From hazy memory I traced him from Rover P4 people, it would seem it uses the same latch. I cant believe they was made specifically for such a short run as MGA coupe's
   Lew

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:40:18 »
Lew,

please post you results here.

Regards,

Peter

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 02:00:07 »
Thanks Lew.  The quest goes on!  Someone has to have a solution!

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:17:34 »
Brown & Gammons in UK do have some lock plates listed but maybe not all parts but worth contacting them,
    ' www.ukmgparts.com '' sales@ukmgparts.com ' 44 1462 896 167.

Robin

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:21:41 »
Summit Racing USA have a modification kit for $52 which replaces the original parts but will require some panel work but solves the problem, worth a look, it is for the MGa Coupe.

Robin

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 09:43:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by Robin A Woolmer

Summit Racing USA have a modification kit for $52 which replaces the original parts but will require some panel work but solves the problem, worth a look, it is for the MGa Coupe.

Robin

Robin,

please, can you post any part number? I searched for MGA on the summit home page but found nothing like door latches or anything similar.

Regards,

Peter

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 11:16:27 »
Peter
   Summit do not have a part number as such the following is the web page detail ' www.summitracing.com/parts/HFM-BCSM '
   They are called- Autolock Bear Claw Latch Sets BCSM.

USA Phone Number is  1-800-230-3030

I found this through the MG A Coupe web site in USA which people have fitted this assembly to solve the door closing & latching issue,Unfortunatly the original parts are now not available so this appears to be the best & safest solution but will require modification to the door & pillar, At $52 a set it is not a large cost to try it.
   Brown & Gammons in UK only supply the lock plate & not the door mechanism which are no now available it seems!
   I hope this assists.

Regards

Robin

lew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 16:39:07 »
Found it!!!!
   Peter Wood  UK 01296-730310    FAX 01296-738499

I am told he doesn't answer the phone very frequently but if you leave a message he ALWAYS returns calls.

If anyone has joy with him please inform the rest of us

Lew

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 20:39:25 »
Hello all,
   It is not all that difficult to repair these locks. As Robin pointed out the strikers are available from various sources and there are also some listed on the owners club spares list, this therefore takes care of half of the problem. The rest of the wear usually is due to the star/gearwheel becoming loose on the shaft and also wear on the shaft and bushing, leading to slop. The star wheel itself is case hardened and does not usually suffer from wear, this is likely because the striker unit is only made from much softer pot metal.

If you clean and examine the lock you will find that they have a very simple mechanism. It is of course important to check for broken return springs and lubricate the pivot points. Most car door locks require occasional lubrication and often suffer from neglect, until they stop working correctly, after all even the youngest Aceca locks are now fifty years old.

If you have access to a lathe and mill it is possible to make up a new shaft that is oversize
   in the diameter where it passes through the steel bushing and in doing so take up the wear.

The following link on Flickr shows the disassembly process and components.
   http://www.flickr.com/photos/48703027@N06/sets/72157632463614650/

Hope this helps keep your doors on! [:)]
   Regards Luke.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 09:21:43 »
Luke
   The suggested repair looks very feasable & should not be a high cost to complete, so providing the Lock plates are available from Brown & Gammos the problem is solved.
   Robin

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 12:59:56 »
There you go Rob,

Your doors will no longer fly open when cruising those tight mountain roads on the ACOC International!!

Gus

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 01:53:13 »
Luke et al,

Thanks for the great info and pictures.

Time to pull the buggers out and first do a thorough inspection and lube.
   If it still doesn't hold tight, time to do a little of the "F" word - fabrication.

I will advise of my progress or lack there of.

Happy New Year everyone!

Cheers,
   Rob