Author Topic: Front Suspension Question  (Read 3005 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Front Suspension Question
« on: November 22, 2012, 14:43:05 »
While I believe the front suspension for the later leaf spring Cobras was changed from the Aces, was the front suspension for the disc brake Aces and early Cobras(ie Bishop Cam Steering) the same? I have read the leaf springs were shorter for the Cobras, but is that only true for the later cars. If they were different, does anyone have a picture of the Cobra uprights?

Thanks,
   Jay

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 12:28:30 »
The Very early leaf sprung cobra's were in basic design the same as ACE, but there are dimension changes in some components, notably wishbone length, kingpin Dia, and length of transverse leaf spring.
   The real changes to construction on components and basic design came about with the introduction of the fitting of the steering rack.

I thought that the Cobra leaf springs were longer than the ACE springs by 2".

The above is the way I understand it so it would be sensible to get conformation from others as well If I am wrong please let me know.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 15:45:41 »
I had always thought the same thing, but was looking at the well published picture of CSX2063 (on Pg 28 of Trevor's Cobra The Real Thing) and noticed the disc brakes were in front of the wheel spindle like the Ace, and the wishbone mtg points were on top of the tube. Pictures I have seen of MkII Cobras have the wishbone mtg points slightly outboard, and the disc brakes located behind the front wheel spindle. Based on this, I was thinking the front suspension was the same, but have seen reference to the front leaf being different and so am not sure about the pieces or geometry. The reason for the question is an Ace owner is trying to source some suspension components and is considering using some Cobra parts as they seem to be more readily available. If the Early Cobra is the same as the Ace, it may open up more options to him.

Jay

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 16:42:32 »
The early Cobra was similar to the Ace 2.6 Ford engine version, if you need parts Gerry Hawkridge should have them available.

Robin

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 12:19:55 »
We can also supply your needs on suspension components.

www.bristolengineering.co.uk