Author Topic: MKIV AKL for sale  (Read 32658 times)

TLegate

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 11:25:42 »
Amen to that. The expression "knitting with fog" comes to mind

Hobo

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 11:49:48 »
Dear all,

please find below an extract from the official 1993 press release for the AC Lightweight.

As you can see the ’93 modell has been equipped with an EFI and catalytic converters.
   Moreover what is interesting out of my view is the following:
   •   The description of the warning lights clearly refer to a “modern dash” not a SC427-style
   •   With the suspension no antiswaybars are mentioned
   •   A Monza-cap is mentioned not a Le-Mans-cap
   •   The detailed specification still includes a 780 cfm Holley
   *       Wheels are 15"
   *       Heating is mentioned indirectly under "coolant"

May be you will find more interesting points.
   (Sorry for the bad quality of the copies – I can’t do better)

French Frie

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 14:52:42 »
Thank you very much for sharing that, "Hobo" (even if you seem wealthy [;)]) !

TLegate

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2012, 15:28:52 »
And don't forget that by the end of the year, the ex-works price was reduced to £68,000. Three guesses why....

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2012, 18:39:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Hobo

Dear all,

....      Heating is mentioned indirectly under "coolant"

cannot read anything about heating, not even indirectly

- are these four pictures really originating from the same period, i.e. 1993.... I have some doubts about that....
   EFI engines definitely had less power and torque than the carburettor version
   - so would the AC press department (if it existed) in 1993 have pushed out a press release and technical data that were incomplete?

Hobo

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2012, 19:15:13 »
Look under „capacities“
   there is mentioned under coolant:
   „coolant (inc. heater)   28.49 pints (16,19 litres)“

It is a press release only - doesn't mean that AC needs to have an own press department and such is not mentioned in the shown documents.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2012, 21:27:36 »
- Martin, you are right about the heater, I missed that line (oups)
   - my point on the press department (or none) was that I question whether AC released these docs together in 1993. It looks like the two middle documents could stem from 1991 when Lightweights were produced (with heater) a.o. for customers in Japan.

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2012, 07:51:57 »
The comment about power being less on an EFI engine in comparison to a carb engine was interesting. I believe the Factory SVO conversion offered and often fitted into Lightweights, but not always, with its uprated cylinder heads, camshaft and big Holley car was rated at 345hp. Peter Knight has dyno tested at least two original SVO spec motors at his premises, neither broke the 300hp level. Power output, that is a very subjective thing.

Hobo

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2012, 10:01:09 »
AKL1411 (which is a later/modern Lightweight, similar to “REV’s” red car before modification) has been delivered with an 302 EFI. The previous owner made some modification incl. aluminium heads and Edelbrock carb. I have the old parts at home the heads are pure iron!! By official permission the car was once rated at 223 hp (which may be was true).

Despite the fact that two engines didn’t reached the 300 hp limit, you can see that the 1993 press release is referring to a HO engine rated 320hp.
   And as you can see, Ford Racing is offering through all the years such an engine rated at 340 or 345 hp: http://www.fordracingparts.com/CrateEngine/Main.asp#smb

@MkIV Lux: No, the documents I showed are from one (1 !) set of four A4 sheets covered by a  glossy card wallet with a golden “AC”- Logo on.
   Page 3 is the backside of page 2 – so the belong together for sure :-)).
   A press release is always a marketing tool. So they need a reason to submit, which may have been the new EFI-engine (page 1).
   However they still used a best specification of the carburetted engine to impress potential buyers (look page 3 referring to a Holley carb).
   There is nothing unusual with such a behaviour. Companies in these days doing the same. They do advertissment about 4ltr/100 km fuel consumption but are presenting their strongest 250 hp model on the photo. (It has been and will always be customers duty to find out what's right and wrong.)

AKL 1333

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2012, 11:29:17 »
my car AKL 1333 one of the first lightweight series(old mk iii dashboard , VW steering columm, no heater and a absolut non modified SVO  engine) has carburretor overhole this summer afer this the car has 350 hp on the dyno

Hobo

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2012, 11:46:37 »
Jürgen, congratulation one from the famous 26 (or 30,40?).
   You mentioned "first lightwight serie". Are these from "first serie" build in one row? and/or in a defined/known period? and/or with consecutive production numbers?
   If no, no, no: How can a car from these "26" clearly be identified - are all the Prod.-Nr. official completly known (at least by the registar)?

AKL 1333

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2012, 13:43:57 »
Its a car from 1990 i have the original factory building sheet and the original specification from the first owner (Rod Leach) i think there is no other way to identify this cars clearly

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2012, 22:26:15 »
[quote......@MkIV Lux: No, the documents I showed are from one (1 !) set of four A4 sheets covered by a  glossy card wallet with a golden “AC”- Logo on.
   Page 3 is the backside of page 2 – so the belong together for sure :-)).

[/quote]
   thanks for the clarification, Martin

SJ351

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2012, 22:59:59 »
My 1990 '26' car is AKL1327 if that helps

AKL 1333

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2012, 06:47:27 »
other cars i know from  the '26' cars