Author Topic: MKIV AKL for sale  (Read 32642 times)

French Frie

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:45:05 »
beautiful, but ... ouch [B)] ! £168.000 ...

http://www.redlinepe.co.uk/ac-cobra-lightweight

302EFI

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:23:38 »
3.5 times the number of the car recently offered in Germany. Lightweight prices seem to be somewhat heterogeneous these days...

TLegate

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 13:51:46 »
This one comes under the heading of "Yes, but..." as it is one of the 26(?) pukka Lightweights with the 345hp Motorsport engine. It's not a true MkIV, more a modern MkIII and retailed circa £120,00 when new. Nice.

French Frie

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 13:54:26 »
thanks for the input... but it's not one of the COX car reedited either, is it  ?or is it a AKL ?

AKL 1333

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 15:37:47 »
yes its a AKL car what was delivered with the original MK III dash, without heater and with the MK III stearing columm and the SVO engine, the car in Germany which i know very well was also a AKL car but with modern dash, heater, modern steering columm and EFI engine (it was converted to Edelbruck carb). The car in Germany was the personal car of Helmut (Auto) Becker the AC Importer Nr. 1 of the 80tees and 90tees. The pricetag on the car in 1994 was 320000 german marks.

silty

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 09:46:33 »
Hello,

As a prospective Lightweight buyer, can anyone offer any guidance on what features an 'original lightweight' has compared with other (later?)'non-original' but still AKL XXXX numbered cars?

Much appreciated

REV

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 11:25:35 »
As Trevor says the original Lightweights were built to have a more 60's period look and feel.

Looks wise they are the specification that everyone wanted. Added to that a more powerful engine.

Although the later cars claimed a similar spec engine allegedly it seems that they weren't. Considerably less grunt, but still plenty.

60's dash is one of the nicest upgrades and gives a whole different look to the car. They also ride on 15' wheels and not 16". It's a nicer ride and a better look in most peoples opinion.

A heater is fitted to the later cars and that can be useful in the uk.

There are though cars that have been upgraded that are similar to the "26", and in some cases better spec's than those. Well sorted and high specification cars are worth there money, upgrading costs are considerable and people don't always realise the costs involved.  Fitting a 60's dash with steering column and wheel is a lot of work.

Suggest you go and look at a few to see whats about and get a feel for the car that suits you. Study the pictures of both types of car and you will see the differences.

The above car seems an outrageous amount, but try bringing one to that spec and you'll be surprised. As Trevor says "Nice"..... It looks pristine.

Best wishes,

Nick

silty

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 13:38:21 »
Nick,

Thank-you for the above.  I'm still left wondering if there are any definitive clues to identify one of the 'original' run of Lightweights.  For example, is it the lack of demister vents under the windscreen (as in the car above)?  Is it the lack of side repeater indicators?  I’m not aware of a definitive list of 'originals' by chassis number so the little clues help.

The differences between a Lightweight and a MkIV are very clear to me but I'm still at a loss to separate 'original' from other AKL XXXX Lightweights.

Many thanks

302EFI

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 14:13:06 »
I remember that the issue 'true' Lightweights vs. 'other' Lightweights was discussed in some detail in a thread of this forum some time ago, but I did not succeed in retrieving that thread. Maybe anyone else can help?

nikbj68

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 15:53:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by 302EFI: I remember that the issue 'true' Lightweights vs. 'other' Lightweights was discussed in some detail in a thread of this forum some time ago
I started THIS THREAD way back in 2007, but there was no definitive answer.

SB7019

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 16:35:55 »
Can I take a first stab at my understanding of what the constituent elements of a true Lightweight are.

Not all are exclusive to a Lightweight ( eg short nose) but I presume all should be present to qualify as the "real thing"?
   This is based on my observations and also on discussions with the AC engineers when I was ordering my Superblower.  At the time they made clear to me that a number of cars purporting to be Lightweights were not entirely "correct". They referred to these as Semi Lightweights - though I am not sure if they left the factory in this state or were modified later?

Am happy to be challenged on this and appreciate that the list may not be exhaustive. It is  thus just a start point for others ( Nik, Trevor?)  to add to. As always with hand built cars that are individually specified ( my own car had over a dozen factory modifications to the standard Superblower spec) the potential variations are manyfold.  So here goes:-

Obvious Ones:-

Flat Dash with VW steering column, etc.
   Fuel filler frenched in on right hand wing
   Twin tube bumper mounts rather than the 5 mph telescopic ones
   15 inch wheels ( very easy to replicate)
   No headrests or mounts
   No lip on rear wheel arch
   Doors without impact bars and trim
   Door latches as per original cars
   Short nose
   Engine mods ( difficult to determine visually and easy to replicate)

More Subtle Ones:-

Roll bar tubes ahead of rear bulkhead and visible behind seats
   Dash support bars rising from transmission tunnel
   AC pedals

Even more subtle ones:-

Smaller cabin - leading to less aggressive coke bottle profile in rear wing
   Underfloor fuel tank
   Rear tube of roll bar slightly canted toward the centre line

I'm not sure if all came without a heater - and certainly would not recommend this for UK use.

302EFI

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 17:30:52 »
I suggest to add the following items to the above list:
   - no leather cabin edging,
   - two rather than three windshield wipers
   - rear mirror mounted on top of the dashboard rather than glued to the windshield,
   - no demister vents.
   The first three items are probably 'obvious ones', the fourth may come under the 'more subtle' heading.

REV

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 00:06:15 »
I think this is getting quite confusing.

Many of the above suggestions are both the specification of the original 26 and the later lightweights.

Here is a picture of my original interior which is a later lightweight.

Notice the modern steering column, Nardi wheel, heater controls, headrests on seats, screen mounted mirror, and screen heating vents. None of those were on a 26.

This picture shows the internal roll hoop position, only on lightweights. The tank filler position again only on lightweights, but (I believe) both are on all lightweights.

Here you can see the 16" rims and the Hex nuts that hold them on. On the 26 there were 15" wheels and spinners. Also both cars have two wipes, not three. My previous MKIV though also had only two wipers, so this is no indication of lightweights.

The 15" rims are on the Red Line Car.

My car after being painted and restored. Here you can see the roll hoop better, but also the door pockets and door catches. Note the seats no longer have headrests and the seat belts are 4 point harnesss and no longer inertais. Then look at the inertia belts on the 26 car. They are centrally mounted. I have seen this on other MKI's so no indication again.

Above you can see my dash which has been modified to 60"s style. Below is the dash from the £168,000 car. Totally different and again with the 60's column. Notice no screen vents on the car below and no heater. My car still has the heater with the controls concealed.

I hope that helps a little, but at the end of the day all these modifications are easily possible, and in most cases the cars are altered along the way to peoples tastes.

The Redline car has quick lifts. These were never standard, but are a nice addition if thats what you like.

The most important thing is to buy a good and sorted car. They were not always the most sorted vehicle when leaving the factory, so a good cherished and driven car is often to be desired.

:-)

SJ351

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 21:41:14 »
I suppose the only way to know what you really have is to look at the factory build records and scrutinise the ownership history of each car carefully. It seems the later Ltwts. were desirable and perhaps safer spec. watered down versions of the famed 26. I have heard them refered to as 'Japanese Lightweights' before. The '26' are the most valuable ones to watch for the future no doubt.

TLegate

• View Profile
MKIV AKL for sale
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 11:11:23 »
If the car had a Motorsports 345hp engine from new, plus the standard, non-US Federal 'safety' interior and proper bumpers, then it's a 'Lightweight'. All others are not.

I guess the term 'Japanese Lightweights' refers to the infamous batch of cars that the dealer in Japan defaulted on. He went broke as he had paid for the cars but was unable to get them into the country. So 'AC' sold them twice! Happy days (and unlikely to be repeated methinks)