Author Topic: ACe Brooklands Rear Lower Wishbone  (Read 5716 times)

AcemanToo

• View Profile
ACe Brooklands Rear Lower Wishbone
« on: December 07, 2012, 21:53:48 »
Can anyone tell me what the rear lower wishbone outer pivots and bushes are off? Are they bushes or are there needle rollers instead? Slight play detected at the MOT so will need to fix before it gets worse.

Max Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 22:04:42 »
Hi Pat,

I was puzzled myself the rear wishbone bearings when I had to remove hubs – they certainly didn’t appear to be tapered roller as per Jag I.R.S. ( insufficient diameter within housings and nothing was inclined to fall out when hub assemblies were removed).  I suspect they’re caged needle roller, but overhaul of the outer bearings wasn’t my reason for removing hubs, so wasn’t tempted to delve too deep into type of bearings used. I was more concerned how to get the hubs back on the car – they were a tight fit and had to make up a spreader to ease the wishbone lugs apart.

Couple of points – you’ll need a hub puller to get the hubs off drive shafts and the nearside drive shaft nut is left hand thread.

Hope that helps a little.

Merry Christmas,

Max

AcemanToo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 15:04:24 »
Hi Max,
   Many thanks for your reply to the bearing problem. I'll take a look at it over the next couple of weeks and see what I can find. Hood's still not working - given up on that one now! And yesterday, one of the boonnet hinges snapped but hopefully a good dollop of weld should do the job.....
   Have a very happy Christmas and a prosperous new year!
   Kind regards, Patrick.

Max Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 07:14:40 »
I admire your tenacity Patrick – you go from problem to problem but still hang in there!

When we last spoke you weren’t aware the hood ECU had LED lights. If they’re not illuminated with ignition on you have a basic lack of supply to hood circuitry. With ignition and handbrake applied do the windows drop when you operate the dash switch? If not, it could be something as simple as handbrake micro switch malfunction.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 09:28:54 »
Do you have any pictures of the assembly? I did wonder if they are similar to the CRS where there is a rose joint assembly on a tube with make up nuts on each side & a fat oring. This then presses in between the lug with a bolt through it.

May be completely different hence a picture request.

AcemanToo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 14:49:18 »
Yet another job still to do Max! It's so darned cold at the moment that I think any action is going to take place after Christmas, hopefully when it's a dry day! I'll let you know how I get on.....

quote:
Originally posted by Max Allan

I admire your tenacity Patrick – you go from problem to problem but still hang in there!

When we last spoke you weren’t aware the hood ECU had LED lights. If they’re not illuminated with ignition on you have a basic lack of supply to hood circuitry. With ignition and handbrake applied do the windows drop when you operate the dash switch? If not, it could be something as simple as handbrake micro switch malfunction.

AcemanToo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 14:51:56 »
Many thanks for coming back to me on this one! As with the reply above, I think I'll leave any probings till after Christmas, if it ever stops raining that is! I'll try and get a photo on as well to see if there is any similarity.

quote:
Originally posted by Flyinghorse

Do you have any pictures of the assembly? I did wonder if they are similar to the CRS where there is a rose joint assembly on a tube with make up nuts on each side & a fat oring. This then presses in between the lug with a bolt through it.

May be completely different hence a picture request.

Max Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 23:09:33 »
A surprising feature. According to my machine shop rear hubs are not aluminium but magnesium. So welding is a no no unless you want a pile of ash!! A belated attempt to save weight perhaps? HaHa

AcemanToo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 17:53:20 »
So the hubs make up a major part of the value of the car........!!!

Max Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 23:08:07 »
Yep – its an exotic car!!!!! [8D]   Bonnet hinge might be broken and hood not work, but you've got a rare earth investment. [;)] Hubs didn’t strike me as being particularly light carrying them back to car.