Author Topic: Internal Door Structure Conversion  (Read 7707 times)

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Internal Door Structure Conversion
« on: December 04, 2012, 20:05:18 »
Dear all,
   As some of you may know, I have a part built AC Superblower.I am considering removing the door cards and converting the inside of the doors to a more retro looking mark 3 style. My initial assessment leads me to conclude that the side impact bars would need removing and the rear latch/lock mechanism would need replacing. I believe structural modification is required on both the door and body to accept the new latches. Has anyone completed this conversion and if so would you be able to pass on your advice. Images also would be a great help.
   Many thanks
   Gary

REV

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 20:15:12 »
Hi Gary,

You are opening a can of worms I assure you! It is tricky.

These are the only pictures I've got of my previous car where we performed this procedure.

I can assure you it is possible and looked fantastic when it was done, but it is difficult and if you are doing this yourself you will wonder why you started.

I haven't got a pic of the finished product or the door jam and I had professionals do the job, so I can only quote them.

Have fun!

The door before work started.

We made a template for the hinge.

A plate was welded to reinforce and stiffen the door and the catch fitted.

This was what we copied. 39PH.

Getting it all aligned and fitting so it shuts properly and looks correct is time consuming, but I think the effect of those doors adds a lot to the car. I was never happy with the panelled door and so it was worth it for me, but that is purely my own opinion.

Good luck with your project!

Regards,

Nick

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 22:20:18 »
Hi Nick, thanks for taking the trouble to post those images and advising me of the issues around the conversion. Below is an image of the inside of my door (I hope), which is very similar to your own. I was hoping to saw across the hinge (vertically-ish) leaving approx 2-3 inches of hinge attached to the side impact bar and continue to cut straight through and into the side impack bar, leaving a 2-3 inch portion of side impact bar in place securing the door to the hinge. It wouldn't be perfect, but not too far off. I wondered if the welding of the remaining side impact bar to the door frame would be strong enough to support the door???

I appreciate the work involved at the other end of the impact bar and feel my local fabrication shop could manage that work.

My big concern is what is required on the body/chassis latch fitting side, as the body structure of the Superblower (and maybe the mark 4's as well), is different to the Mk3's and Mk4 lightweights??? I will try to post images of the lightweight structure in due course. I have attached an image of the Superblower structure for now.

REV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 22:39:11 »
The door jam of the lightweight is completely different. On the standard MKIV it is as you have pictured and the door pin has to be precise. That is one of the major difficulties. There is no tolerance there.

Heres the Lightweight door jam pictures:

As you will see the construction is completely different. The mechanism can be adjusted here and that makes life so much easier. Up down side to side. Just undo the bolts and move around. With the pin fixed in the door jam it meant that the lock was the only moveable and adjustable item.

Your door jam is different again. I'd try and leave it as close to where you are now as you can. It looks like it is much closer to the original than an early MKIV. The opening mechanism on an earlier car is from a lever in the door panel.

Hope that helps.

:-)

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:25:46 »
just a silly question : is it possible to keep the hinge "as is", as well as the side impact bar, and "hide" it behind the door pocket, and just delete the door handle system on the bar, replacing it by a leash to operate the door jam ?

302EFI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:19:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by French Frie

just a silly question : is it possible to keep the hinge "as is", as well as the side impact bar, and "hide" it behind the door pocket, and just delete the door handle system on the bar, replacing it by a leash to operate the door jam ?

That is in fact possible. I had that change made to my Mk IV because I did not like the Ford Capri look of the original door opener. It requires certain modifications of the mechanism but is far less cumbersome than the work described by Nick.

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 10:57:24 »
great ! would you be kind enough to show some pics of the result ?

302EFI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 11:18:18 »
I will do my best, Olivier. I remember having seen a description of how to post pictures in the forum not too long ago but cannot find it anymore. Could you help with this? To speed things up you could also send me your e-mail address, I would then mail you the pics.

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 12:09:02 »
here's the thread : http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2560

but, as offered by email, I can post them for you on the forum [;)]...

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 12:28:37 »
here are the pics from Jürgen :

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 12:39:49 »
Jürgen, I was rather thinking of something like that (sorry for the 4-year-old sketch ) :

302EFI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 14:46:16 »
I think that would also be possible, a downside could be that in such case the impact bar is clearly visible and may also affect the usability of the pocket.

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 20:54:07 »
Thanks to all who have contributed so far. It has certainly raised a few issues and options/dilemma's. I have considered French Frie's idea of placing a pocket in front of the side impact bar and modifying the rear lock mechanism but as 302 EFI has mentioned, I think you will either be able to see the top edge of the impact bar or see the lines of the impact bar behind the leather pocket.
   I am still of the mind to stick with my first thought to cut the existing hinge length down and cut through the impact bar. I have heard that Big Al from Thunder Road has completed door conversions. I'd be interested to see any images of the conversions he has done, especially in the area of the locking mechanism. Can anyone assist?

Nick, the images you have posted show the part of the latch mechanism which attaches to the jam. It appears to be a threaded shaft with a securing nut. I wondered if that could fit directly into the hole in my jam (see my picture) and secured with the nut. I suppose though it has to have some rotational flexibility?

Many thanks
   Gary

REV

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 22:44:53 »
Hi Gary,

Yes it could, but the door needs to be lined up some how. Whether you do that with a moveable lock or a moveable pin part of the mechanism is up to you, but as you can see the Lightweight is done with the moveable pin on the door jam. I tend to think thats the easiest way.

Have you had a word with Gerry Hawkridge? I heard he did conversions as well. Worth a chat??

Reagrds,

Nick

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 22:55:50 »
Thanks Nick.
   I've done a little research on this subject and found this;

http://tommysak427.blogspot.co.uk/

What has been done is a little crude, but it has given me food for thought.
   I am guessing the 'pin' part which fits into the jam, would be firmly fixed giving no flexibility for adjustment. In which case, I think there would have to be some adjustability in the door mounted lock??.