Author Topic: 428 Rear Suspension  (Read 18831 times)

Englishman

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« on: February 13, 2007, 22:20:13 »
My project rebuild is still ongoing with CF64, now at the mantling stage, we have encountered a slight problem in that we need two Spherical Bearings part number RBJ-205 that fit into the Trailing Arm to the Wishbone.
   Local bearing suppliers tell us that these were OEM i.e. Original Equipment Manufacturer and as such are not available except from the original vehicle manufacturer -- Yes AC Cars.
   Can anyone out there help or come up with an alternate solution as I cannot believe this is a first ????

Peter

nikbj68

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 22:34:54 »
Have the bearing Factors actually set eyes on the bearings? it is possible that they could cross-reference to something similar, alternatively, my work have just appointed a new supplier, I`ll give them a go if possible.
   Nik.

Englishman

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 22:59:00 »
Hi Nik,
   No the supplier has not seen the bearing, however we did give him the critical dimensions.
   The outside diameter is 5/16ths of an inch, the int dia is 1/2inch with a race thickness of 5/16ths and a ball thickness of 7/16ths.
   The nearest the supplier can come is an outer dia of 1 and 1/8th, he maintains that this is a non standard bearing and hence not available off the shelf.

Peter

Englishman

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 00:12:07 »
Ooops the outside dia is 15/16ths not 5/16ths as stated above.

Peter

Mark IV

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 01:48:14 »
I replaced several bushings/bearings on a 428 coupe. I refuse to believe that AC had "special" items made for a run of cars that even at best, they could never have thought of building more than 50 a year.
   Parts bin specials....the pieces exist somewhere in the automotive universe as cheap, off-the-shelf items....maybe not what AC used 'em for, but, dammit, thay ARE out there!

Transmission complete......resume normal reception.

Rick

Emmanueld

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 02:16:22 »
Rick is right, I have not found a chassis part that is specific to the Frua with the exception of the rear upper control arm which is not adjustable. All the parts should be exactly the same as the MK III street version (Rubber bushing suspension). Please E-mail me all the information on the bearing and I will find a replacement. Also you can call David Kirkham at Kirkham motorsports and he actually might have them in stock!

2575 W 1680 N
   Provo, Utah
   84601-1156

Tel: 801.377.8224

Email: parts@kirkhammotorsports.com

Emmanuel

Englishman

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 02:59:31 »
OK will continue the search, thanks for the information.

Englishman

Emmanueld

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 03:03:25 »
If you don't find, please send me the dimensions and a photo of the bearings, and I will source them for you! Actually, they look more like what's on the MKIV.

Emmanuel

redcar

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 00:13:36 »
Peter, if you require RBJ-205's contact Hawkcars, Gerry keeps these on the shelf along with all the other bits that wear.
   As for the Kirkhams, some of the early cars had simular bearings but were metric,later ones use trailing arms like MK4's with a rosejoint at each end.  Later still Kirkhams have billet machined aluminium wishbones and links.

Cheers

Englishman

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 04:18:24 »
Redcar,
   Thank you for the information, I have e-mailed Hawkcars and given the details of the bearings, so fingers crossed that they may be able to help

Thanks Again

Peter

jbottini

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 14:31:28 »
Actually the MK IV rear uprights and probably bearings and bits are Frua 428 pieces, that is part of the science in obtaining another 4" of rear track.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 17:21:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by jbottini

Actually the MK IV rear uprights and probably bearings and bits are Frua 428 pieces, that is part of the science in obtaining another 4" of rear track.

Actually no, MKIII, FRUA and MKIV have the same suspensions, same bearings, I replaced the rear bearings on my MKIV and we pressed in  MKIII bearings. The shop was working on an original 427 at the time and I was able to compare my MKIV uprights with those of the MKIII, exactly the same. The trailing arms however, have different attachments on the MKIV, indeed similar to the FRUA (much stronger). As far as the track it is the same on all these cars. Half shafts are the same and lower and upper control arms are the same as well! FRUA's rear upper control arms are not adjustable however!

Emmanuel

jbottini

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 19:18:14 »
Actually Emmanuald you are wrong again..If the MK III & MK iV are identical, explain the 4" difference in track.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 19:39:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by jbottini

Actually Emmanuald you are wrong again..If the MK III & MK iV are identical, explain the 4" difference in track.

In your dreams, I deal in facts! I had a MKIV, I have an AC428 and a Kirkham 427 Which is an exact MKIII, all the same! even the wheel offset is the same (MKIII and MKIV). The control arm attachments are a bit different on the MKIV if I remember correctly! [;)]

Trevor or someone, please help and set him right?

By the way jbottini, 4" is a lot!, I think it is wishful thinking on your part, you know what I mean! [:D]

jbottini

• View Profile
428 Rear Suspension
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 19:45:04 »
Emmanuald...do you believe that you are the only one who has ever owned a car or knows how to read? Your childish "4" remarks are crude at best and probably indicative of your upbringing, I sincerely hope you haven't bred.