Author Topic: Long Lost Unknown AC Model?  (Read 5262 times)

jrlucke

• View Profile
Long Lost Unknown AC Model?
« on: November 20, 2012, 19:30:46 »
Is this some long lost unknown A.C. model? Modern replica of the 2 liter???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1975-Excalibur-by-AC-All-Steel-Bodied-4-7-V8-Convertible-/251169344144?clk_rvr_id=413316988787

In the US this is known as an Excalibur, originally it was a replica of the Mercedes SSK designed by Brook Stevens!

John

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 20:36:43 »
There's ugly and then there's ugly!

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 22:27:35 »
Never heard of that described as by AC before, Seen a few Excalibur Phaeton`s, but that one is....erm...
   HOW MUCH???? Just realised, I thought it was £2995, I thought three grand was an awful lot, but THIRTY THOUSAND POUNDS???? Aaaargh?!

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 23:52:32 »
WOW! I just bought it. I'm going to drive it in the ACOC international!!

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:40:51 »
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Can I co-drive?! LOL!!!!

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 10:12:46 »
My eyes!!! I was assuming the seller paid the buyer thirty grand to take it away and scrap it?

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 11:34:38 »
I think you’re missing the intrinsic beauty, the balance of harmony of design and the purity of a race-bred heritage. Surely all it needs is a respray in Guardsman blue a couple of white stripes and side exhausts and the job’s done.

On the other hand . . . . maybe it's "lost and unknown" for a very good reason. I would want to be the guy trying to sell it

jrlucke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 18:23:57 »
This is actually an improvement when you consider there's a 1975 Chevrolet Impala or some such hiding underneath.

Strangely when you look at other 1975 Excaliburs, they have chrome grill surrounds and wire wheels.

Maybe this is another air-car/re-construction!

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 19:26:37 »
Actually, I believe the AC company they are referring to in the auction is the Ay Caramba! (as in can you believe they built such an ugly thing) automobile company.  [;)]

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 12:50:29 »
I think that the Vendor is in a bit of a muddle probably the body style has psychoactive properties!?.

Amazingly Old Brooks Stevens had quite a Client base including:  Bill Cosby, Frank Sinatra, Steve McQueen, Dick Van Dyke, Tony Curtis, Shirley Jones, Sonny and Cher, Dean Martin, Jackie Gleason, Roberto Duran, and Paul Harvey. One of the most enthusiastic owners is Phyllis Diller - she has purchased four of them. The King of Spain was one of our more recent customers!

The original design of the SS was done on the back of a Beer mat, no surprises there then.
   But am sure you are all relieved 'No AC Cars'!

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 18:03:53 »
While we are on the topic of Excaliburs, Excalibur also made its own version of the Cobra shown below.  It is a larger car overall with a larger cockpit and body dimensions compared to the original cars.

302EFI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 20:05:53 »
My goodness!

lyonheart84

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 23:03:17 »
LOL there's no way that hideous monstrosity is a genuine Excalibur. I've seen plenty of them over the years and although they weren't to everyone's taste, Excaliburs were quite well built and engineered cars that used mostly Corvette running gear and were modelled on the Mercedes SSK's of the 1930's, and were generally referred to as Neo-Classic reproductions. The other similar quality manufacturer in America was Zimmer ( not the same as zimmer frame manufacturers ! ).  It looks more similar to a Gazelle (also American ) from the mid 1970's but even they were much prettier than the car on E=Bay. nikbj68 is right £ 2995 is probably all it's value ! I think the chappie on E-Bay is lucky not to have been pulled up under the trade description act LOL. I wouldn't be surprised if some clever clog that imported it originally managed to wangle registering it as an Excalibur........

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 21:05:28 »
A one off car built by AC, its a snip at that price ![;)]

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 03:41:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by lyonheart84

LOL there's no way that hideous monstrosity is a genuine Excalibur. I've seen plenty of them over the years and although they weren't to everyone's taste, Excaliburs were quite well built and engineered cars that used mostly Corvette running gear and were modelled on the Mercedes SSK's of the 1930's, and were generally referred to as Neo-Classic reproductions. The other similar quality manufacturer in America was Zimmer ( not the same as zimmer frame manufacturers ! ).  It looks more similar to a Gazelle (also American ) from the mid 1970's but even they were much prettier than the car on E=Bay. nikbj68 is right £ 2995 is probably all it's value ! I think the chappie on E-Bay is lucky not to have been pulled up under the trade description act LOL. I wouldn't be surprised if some clever clog that imported it originally managed to wangle registering it as an Excalibur........

You are absolutely right... real Excaliburs are quality cars (see http://www.excaliburclassics.com/excals.html).  Unlike the car in question, they were not kit cars.