Author Topic: No respect  (Read 21904 times)

BBK

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 19:39:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

It`s John, our very own Mr.Cobham Cobra.
   That is probably one of the most well-used, (and occasionally ABUSED [;)]!!) MkIV`s you will find, but it is always beautifully presented.

Very nice!  It seems quite an honor to have ones car on display at the Royal Automobile Club.  What a wonderful looking place.  I am not aware that we have any place similar here in the U.S.

AK1131

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 22:11:09 »
Thanks everyone. I could not sheep that night I was so rattled. I have a very nice, very tasteful sign I post in front of the car at shows. It informs most, that it is real. The chairman of the event apologized to me. She told me the MC can't handle the unknown.

Yep, someone even ask me if it was a VW. I had a few Morgans. The last was a righthand drive and yep again, I was ask if it was a VW. I never have had a VW so maybe I should get one.

OK, the day of the concours, the cars needed to be 1972 or older. Across the way from the vintage Cobras was a category for Modified Fords. There was a 2009 kit car posted as a 1967 Cobra. I have asked to be in this category next year. Lets see what they say. By the way, Both Jim Maxwell & Ron Finger have seen and appreciated my MKIV.

AK1131

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 22:17:00 »
The AC Heritage Registry for MKIV is obviously needed

ak1234

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 01:50:39 »
AK1131 ... I feel your frustration ... I also have had similar experience at a few shows, and going thru the whole Its Not Replica explanation like a broken record get old real fast.   My thought would be a simple sign or placard with the History of the AC MKIV posted on or in front of the car might save my voice and frustration.   The problem is and maybe some of the experts could help put together a Paragraph which we could post of the exact history and makings of the MKIV of which we would be technically correct .... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

BBK

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 03:26:38 »
I created a short write up regarding the background of the Mk IV cars which includes a short history of my Mk IV in particular and have a small clear plastic stand which holds it for display purposes that I had in front of my car at a couple of recent shows.  I also have some period magazines with articles on the Mk IV that I have open in the car for display purposes. I feel it has been helpful to educate those looking at the car though those who don't bother to look at these still ask the questions subject of our frustrations posted here.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 11:20:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by ak1234

AK1131 ... ......  My thought would be a simple sign or placard with the History of the AC MKIV ....

As I understand it, the main problem is to make people understand what a Cobra MkIV is in relation to AC's history, and thereby link our cars to period Cobras (obviously in the US Shelby Cobras are the reference product, however the link to AC is most often ignored).

Hence one would need to make a very short write up of AC history including:
   - a shortenend version of the AC History summary as on the ACOC website
   - a chronological list of all car models produced by AC (model + years of production + numbers + factory location)
   - the list should highlight period Cobras (260, 289, 427) with statement on the fact that all Shelby Cobras were produced (less engine ... ) by AC at Thames Ditton
   - the list should highlight MkIV Cobras
   - the list should end with last models as recognized by the ACOC.

To ensure correctness, I would suggest that the club officials/historians produce such document, that can then be used at displays and be completed by individual additions as to the owner's car.

The other problem beyond the general public is possible ignorance by organisers of events! So here it seems important to inform them about the facts up-front before joining into an event.

Looks simple, but I reckong from experience it ain't that easy.

There will always be instances where kit cars are being "sold" as genuine and period and very often the guy with the mike making statements just reads what he is being submitted, true or false!

And as stated before on this thread, if we can't get our point accross, let's just ignore those who don't want to know, and enjoy our AC cars by driving them, because that is what they were made for.

French Frie

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 13:11:08 »
I did such a A4 plastified sheet, with some figures and historic facts, and I put it behind the windscreen on each meeting I may participate to... and it also prevent sometimes the knock-knock on the body to check the material origin [}:)] !

shep

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 15:10:14 »
Hi Fred, over the years I have driven and indeed raced many ACs including Thames Ditton Cobras, Mk IVs, Ace Bristols, a 3000ME and 428 Frua. I own a silver Mk IV LHD, and love to drive it. It is sad that the Show organisers don't understand where the Mk IV sits in the history of the Cobra. They likely think that Carroll fabricated the original bodies and chassis' himself in the USA! I am looking at the ACOC publication entitled "AC Registers 1910-2001" also known as the Millennium Registers. There is a section for the Mk IVs, and your car is listed as AK 1131, 1986 White, 302 engine, lhd, Dobbs Ford USA. Back in 2001 I assume you had yet to discover the ACOC, so owner's details were not recorded. There is more information on the current register on the ACOC Website, but of course that is not a hard copy like the Millennium Registers. For evidence I would suggest carrying copies of books on AC, "Essential AC Cobra" by Rinsey Mills, "AC Cobra The Complete Story" by Brian Laban, and of course "Cobra The First 40 Years" by our own Trevor Legate. Each gives the whole Cobra history AND explains where the Mk IV fits in to the story. Backed up with a copy of the ACOC Register, you would then have some pretty convincing firepower. If it helps, as ACOC Chairman I can also write you a reference for your car, or better still ask Alan Faulkner-Stevens to do it, as the ACOC Cobra Mk IV Registrar. Once you have made the point, and educated the ill-informed, let's hope the problem will be solved. Good luck, Andy.

French Frie

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 15:55:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by shep
   or better still ask Alan Faulkner-Stevens to do it, as the ACOC Cobra Mk IV Registrar. Once you have made the point, and educated the ill-informed, let's hope the problem will be solved. Good luck, Andy.

Good point, Andy... I asked Alan for such a "certificate" (what he did very kindly), and it is printed on the back of the aforementioned A4 sheet [;)] ! no more hasslers with that [}:)] ...

French Frie

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 16:10:57 »
here's the print (hope nothing wrong in showing it here [:I] - if so, let me know) :

page 1:

page 2:

Edited : pic deleted

EDITED: I deleted the back of my sheet, as I realized it implies other peoples than me... So, I Wait for their approval
   ps : to Terry : ahahah [:o)] ! Should I add this phrase on the boot of my car too, behind the AC logo [;)] ? It's not an official publication, just a sheet of paper...

terry3000me

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 17:28:44 »
French Frie on page 1 of your letter (with the AC logo) please add:
   "AC is a trademark of Acedes Holdings, LLC"
   The use of the logo is a problem and should be agreed with AC Cars direct.

Thanks,

Terry

302EFI

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 18:51:40 »
I have noticed with interest that in Alan's certificate 'AC Cars Ltd.' is named as manufacturer of the car. I think that this is logical at least for cars produced after the point in time when Brian Angliss / Autokraft Ltd. (together with Ford) acquired all shares in AC Cars Ltd. in 1986 and, thus, there was no need for Autokraft anymore to operate under a license from AC Cars as they had done before. Somewhat strangely, on the chassis no. plate in the engine bay of my car (AK1200CH, March 1987) it reads: 'This automobile was designed and manufactured by Autokraft Ltd. of Brooklands Industrial Park...' without any reference to AC Cars. I have seen several other MkIVs of that period bearing plates with the same wording.
   Does someone have an explanation for this?
   Jürgen

Chafford

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 19:35:40 »
Possibly 'AC' was the registered company for the (then) new AC Ace, jointly owned by Angliss and Ford and 'Autokraft' was 100% owned by Angliss and continued as the official manufacturer of the MkIV.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 23:36:58 »
[quote.......
   EDITED: I deleted the back of my sheet, as I realized it implies other peoples than me... So, I Wait for their approval
   ps : to Terry : ahahah [:o)] !....... It's not an official publication, just a sheet of paper...
   [/quote]

interesting point!
   And it is not commercially used! Would be interested to know what the lawyers say about the reproduction of the logo for non commercial use?

302EFI

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 10:07:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

Possibly 'AC' was the registered company for the (then) new AC Ace, jointly owned by Angliss and Ford and 'Autokraft' was 100% owned by Angliss and continued as the official manufacturer of the MkIV.

In that case it would be correct to specify 'Autokraft' and not 'AC Cars' as the manufacturer. As regards my car the registration papers are not of much help either, they designate 'AC Autokraft' as the manufacturer... Maybe Alan Faulkner-Stevens can bring some light into this.