Author Topic: No respect  (Read 21907 times)

AK1131

• View Profile
No respect
« on: November 05, 2012, 13:50:17 »
Dear MKIV owners,

This past weekend I participated in the Hilton Head Island Concours d'Elegance in the Club Car Jamboree because my MKIV is not old enough (1972 or older) for the concours event. This year there was a special event called "A British Thing". A couple of years back there was a similar British theme but my Cobra was overlooked instead there were two BMW Minis in the line up. I guess they thought I had a kit car. This year I got lucky, They pick me to be in the parade of 10 British Things. I was the first in line and the first at the podium. I shut off the car and looked at the MC, at that moment I knew I was in trouble. I could see he did not know what the car was. He approached me and ask my name on the PA system then stalled. I figured I had the perfect solution that could not be questioned so I handed him the original window stacker from the Ford dealership with a large AC Logo. He read the first line "1986 Autokraft AC MKIV" then added "a Shelby Cobra replica". I was pissed but did not call he out because I did not want to embarrass him. But he was not done with me. He then told me I had won second place in the Hagerty's award but did not hand me trophy. Later a few of the Host were together in the shade. As I walked past, one commended me on my award. I said thank you but I did not receive anything. He graciously said "OH it is beautiful, lets go get it". Then one of the other host said wait, they made a mistake you did not win.

On the bright side, in Sunday's concours event there were a number of "Real Cobras" both MKII's and MKIII's. Both MKIII's were street versions with no hood scoops and 428's. One belonging to Jim Maxwell is original including the paint. The best was Ron Finger's original USRRC factory race car. My MKIV looked much nicer then any of the original Cobras. There was only one kit car built in 2009 in the entire event but it was in a concour category for modified Fords as a 1967. So my question is should I buy a Pinto or tell them my Cobra is a 1967? [}:)]

Sincerely,
   Fred Mix

nikbj68

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 15:25:46 »
Start engine.
   Hold throttle at 5000rpm.
   Dump clutch.
   Shower them in gravel without a backward glance.
   Continue until shouting can no longer be heard.

Philistines!

hawk289

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 15:51:46 »
Do not worry, everyone gets that as a question. I have had replica's / originals. But I think every car has a story to tell that is unique. Enjoy the car and know you have an original AC.

TLegate

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 17:03:31 »
Not the first time it's happened and certainly won't be the last. Very few of the type of people who organise these events know anything worth a damn about classic cars. Amazed they can even find their way home unaided.

And the answer to your question is: Yes. Buy the Pinto!

BBK

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 18:36:25 »
Fred, I know the feeling....   My Mk IV was in a show a couple of weeks ago in Morgan Hill, CA called the British Fall Classic.  My Mk IV was the only AC in the show.  Lots of MG's, Austin Healy's, Triumphs, Jaguars, many original California "black plate" and even older CA cars, but I digress!  Very few of the visitors to the show (and some participants) knew what an "AC" was let alone a MK IV.  This seemingly included the organizers of the show itself.  There were some pretty rare cars in the show, but the Mk IV I would have to say was one of the rarest.  It is a wonderful show in many respects and the hosts went around and interviewed a number of owners over their PA system, which was nice.  The judges completely skipped my car however, which is in very nice original condition, and the host interviewed owners around me, but not me to talk about my Mk IV.  I know they could not talk to all participants, but the lone AC in the show, let alone a MK IV Cobra, should have been on their list of cars to judge and to talk to the owner about I would think.  Based on comments from people I spoke with during the day, lots of them thought my Mk IV was a fiberglass replica.  At least, I was able to tell them more details about my car and perhaps educate them about AC's and in particular, about the Mk IV cars.

If anyone is interested, below is a link to my Photobucket album for the British Fall Classic that shows some of the great cars there that day.  The BRG Cobra is my Mk IV.

http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/bb1kitty/AC%20Cars/2012%20British%20Fall%20Classic%20Morgan%20Hill%20CA/

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 19:18:38 »
That's a crappy story. Happened to me as well. With my Aceca and Ace... at the Concourse D'Elegance of America in Pontiac, MI. One of the judges was Luigi Chinetti Jr. He had no interest in the brand that came to beat up his favorite brand... It became pretty clear that the winners were picked long before they were parked on the green... One guy showed up with three customer cars on his trailer. All three won a prize... Probably for showing up last minute to fill the field.

Gus

linklaw

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 01:47:17 »
I have been told to park my MK IV with the kit cars at British Car Day at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. I opened the bonnet and showed the admissions people the VIN tag. I was then permitted to park with the British cars. My friend with a MK IV was recently made to park by himself at another all British event while a COX continuation car from the early 1990's was touted as an "original" cobra and parked with another 1960's cobra. I don't feel so bad because there were only 400 or so of our MK IVs made and many people have never seen one. What really irks me though is when people think my Morgan is a kit car!

ANF289

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 13:02:15 »
quote:
What really irks me though is when people think my Morgan is a kit car!

Yeah, I have the same problem with my super seven![:D]

CRS9505

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 14:11:29 »
and you guys all have aluminum bodies, imagine the fun of owning a carbon-fibre CRS, but at least I can show them the weave in the body fabric! [:D]

Chafford

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 20:08:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by BBK

Fred, I know the feeling....   My Mk IV was in a show a couple of weeks ago in Morgan Hill, CA called the British Fall Classic.  My Mk IV was the only AC in the show.  Lots of MG's, Austin Healy's, Triumphs, Jaguars, many original California "black plate" and even older CA cars, but I digress!  Very few of the visitors to the show (and some participants) knew what an "AC" was let alone a MK IV.  This seemingly included the organizers of the show itself.  There were some pretty rare cars in the show, but the Mk IV I would have to say was one of the rarest.  It is a wonderful show in many respects and the hosts went around and interviewed a number of owners over their PA system, which was nice.  The judges completely skipped my car however, which is in very nice original condition, and the host interviewed owners around me, but not me to talk about my Mk IV.  I know they could not talk to all participants, but the lone AC in the show, let alone a MK IV Cobra, should have been on their list of cars to judge and to talk to the owner about I would think.  Based on comments from people I spoke with during the day, lots of them thought my Mk IV was a fiberglass replica.  At least, I was able to tell them more details about my car and perhaps educate them about AC's and in particular, about the Mk IV cars.

If anyone is interested, below is a link to my Photobucket album for the British Fall Classic that shows some of the great cars there that day.  The BRG Cobra is my Mk IV.

http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/bb1kitty/AC%20Cars/2012%20British%20Fall%20Classic%20Morgan%20Hill%20CA/

Any British car enthusiast will know what an AC is. What planet are these people living on? [:(]

BBK

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 00:59:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

Any British car enthusiast will know what an AC is. What planet are these people living on? [:(]
   [/quote]

I was really surprised and disappointed.  Another example.  I visited a local collector car showroom today and struck up a conversation with a long term owner of a Austin Healey 3000.  When he asked what I owned, I told him and he had no idea about AC's and no idea what a Mk. IV is.   Most people here in the U.S. know about MG's, Jaguars, Triumphs, Austin Healeys, RR, Bentley, etc. but draw a blank at AC's.   Most British shows have a plethora of the aforementioned Marques but very few to no AC's.  I'm not sure if my fellow AC and British car enthusiasts here in the U.S. experience this as well, but that is what I have found.  It is rare to see any older British cars on the road any more for the most part and I have never seen another Mk IV here in Northern California let alone any other AC cars on the road except for those in collector car showrooms.  If I see any older British cars driving around, it will usually be an MGB or Triumph.  Many more of those Marques made and imported over here vs. AC of course.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 17:12:40 »
I think those type of people fall under the heading of:
   Know the price of everything and the value of nothing !
   They're really not worth the time of day.

People that know - matter, people that don't know, don't matter.

nikbj68

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 18:12:42 »
The Royal Automobile Club 'know'.
   From Cobham to Pall Mall. [8D]

BBK

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 18:27:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

The Royal Automobile Club 'know'.
   From Cobham to Pall Mall. [8D]

Nik, fantasic video!  Who's Mk IV is the star of the show?

nikbj68

• View Profile
No respect
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 18:39:35 »
It`s John, our very own Mr.Cobham Cobra.
   That is probably one of the most well-used, (and occasionally ABUSED [;)]!!) MkIV`s you will find, but it is always beautifully presented.