Author Topic: 1964 Oil Cooler  (Read 3709 times)

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
1964 Oil Cooler
« on: October 15, 2012, 23:57:57 »
Probably of no interest to any other members, but I thought I should mention it just in case some poor soul is on a quest: The original oil cooler on A98 (the one from the works spares kit that came back from le Mans, the other one, on the car, did not survive the crash) sprang a leak recently and is back with Serck, who made them in 1964. The leaks simply needed some new solder to unite the core with the the end tanks, but I have asked them, whilst they have it there, to make an exact copy so that there is a spare with the car again.
   The spare will be approximately £250 and I can ask for more to be made should anyone else be concerned with originality. The construction is brass. Very similar to the Delaney Gallay oil radiators Thames Ditton supplied for the competition Ace. The modern aluminium radiators are, maybe, superior, but the old A98 brass item has lasted 48 years and the oil runs at no more than 80°C so it cannot be that bad. Come to that the Delaney Gallay oil radiator on LM5000 is now 54 years old and I'm not sure an aluminium item would outlast that....
   There were other styles of hose unions used in period and I believe Gerry Hawkridge has reproduced these.
   In any event should anyone want a 1964 le Mans style oil radiator let me know.

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
1964 Oil Cooler
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:53:46 »
We will ask some of our customers if they are interested, if you hear nothing its a no go.

As to your oil temp, If possible you need to up the running temp slightly, If it is running below 80 degrees your oil may not be working to its maximum efficiency ( depending on oil type ). Many of the competition and high performance oils especially the Mineral oils have a large Zinc oxide content to give good Metal to metal protection. The use of zinc oxide in the oil requires the running temp to be above 70-75 degrees to get the oxide working as it should. 90-100 degrees would be preferable under reasonable load on a prolonged run.

Fully synthetic oils are not so sensitive but it is always a good idea to do a little R&D on the oil of your choice.

I hope this is of interest to you.

www.bristolengineering.co.uk

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
1964 Oil Cooler
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 13:23:48 »
James thank you for the information on oil temperature. You are quite right to highlight the topic - a system that would keep oil temperature under control at le Mans in June is likely to over cool things in a British November. I have long used full synthetic oil in all my engines -initially Mobil R4 15-50 and latterly Miller 15-60. Expensive, but a great deal cheaper than an engine rebuild. I do not subscribe to the view that old engines should not use synthetics, providing of course that you only make the change on a clean engine to avoid damage from loosened sludge (which will come loose eventually anyway and destroy the engine sooner or later whatever oil you use.)
   The 1964 oil radiators are back from Serck and beautifully done.The original spare is back on A98 and the replica spare is on the shelf. Their competitions department, in Hayes, seem to be a really helpful and competent team.

ace1

• View Profile
1964 Oil Cooler
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 19:43:26 »
Has any one seen one of these coolers before?  I don't know the manufacturer of this one and there are no identifiable markings on this one....

Very similar to the A98 Coupe model in style, but with the fittings on top like the ones you would have on the 1964 FIA bodied Cobras.