Author Topic: Replacement Leather Choices  (Read 3405 times)

rr64

• View Profile
Replacement Leather Choices
« on: October 15, 2012, 09:34:06 »
I received a telephone call with some questions this past Saturday that I couldn't answer very well.  Maybe someone here can help. The caller and his father have worked on Cobras for some time. They want to start paying more attention to details of leather soft trim.  They desire to find leathers that more closely match what AC Cars used for seats for example. All I could tell them was that I remember it being top dyed.  Yes, I know there are smaller applications of leather throughout the cockpit but they want to discuss seat cover material.

I have never purchased any leather myself.  So, does anyone know and wish to share the name of one or more potential suppliers of seating leather in black and red? What type or brand of leather does one ask for?

Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 21:46:29 »
Dan, your question reminds me of a story from Thames Ditton in the Hurlock days: The S.M.M.T. (Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders) were a powerful and long established trade group in the U.K. motor industry. They held an annual golf tournament which was organised by one of the Connolloys who ran the leather company. One year it seems that when the golf invitations went out the Hurlocks were missed off the list: Umbridge was taken and that is why no Hurlock A.C. ever used Connolly hide. All the  hides came from Bridge of Weir and their leather is quite different from Connolloy in that they are dyed all the way through.
   The people at Bridge of Weir have always been very helpful to me and I think they have a U.S. outlet. If you have a problem email me.

rr64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 22:14:54 »
That's funny. I can relate. A supplier or shop only gets to make me mad once. Thanks Barrie.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:33:25 »
When I came to have the new interior made for my PVT, Bridge of Weir had the exact colour that I had in mind.  The quality is superb.

http://www.bowleather.co.uk/bow/Home_2010.aspx

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 18:26:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by administrator

When I came to have the new interior made for my PVT, Bridge of Weir had the exact colour that I had in mind.  The quality is superb.

http://www.bowleather.co.uk/bow/Home_2010.aspx

I do not believe any leather company still produces what is referred to as a surface dyed leather such as that used in the 60's by AC Cars and others. They are now all aniline dyed.
   I contacted Ray Torrance of Bridge of Weir Leather and received a reply that they no longer produce surface dyed leathers.
   IMO, an important part of finding a similar leather is to find one with the correct sheen. Most leather used today has a "duller" finish that will stand out in a vintage car.