Author Topic: 1969 Frua Coupe for sale  (Read 10150 times)

lyonheart84

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 08:25:44 »
I've always had concerns about the lack of MOT's in America as they are one possible way we have of keeping an eye on mileages covered. Most American cars that find their way across the pond to here have little history but invariably claim low  'genuine' mileages which can rarely be substantiated. When Heritage classics advertised the car they described it as a 'superbly original car with just 19,598 miles' . Look at Hyman's advert and you will see that today the car shows 16,829 miles !!! Somebody has been doing a lot of reversing...........
   I would say Jeffrey that if somebody doesn't really want to sell their car they can ask as high a price as they want for it, as that is one way to help the values rise which is in most owners interest as lets face it, one day a car may have to be sold either for financial needs or for a change of vehicle or for health reasons. Super rare exotica will all increase in value in a rising market, the rarer the better.

J Jones

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 08:41:35 »
Agreed, Brett.
   I am sure the owner of the "perfect" drophead would change his tune if he had to.
   The lack of MOT's here in the U.S. does prevent easy access to valuable information about a car's true history.
   I thought the previous sale of CFX28 10+ years ago was interesting.
   Maybe the car was "restored", the engine rebuilt and the speedometer refurbished, reset or replaced.
   Seems odd to go to the trouble of rolling the odometer back so slightly. What real positive difference could it make? It only serves to make the car suspect, unless theres a legitimate, disclosed explanation.

J Jones

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 20:59:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by lyonheart84

I've always had concerns about the lack of MOT's in America as they are one possible way we have of keeping an eye on mileages covered. Most American cars that find their way across the pond to here have little history but invariably claim low  'genuine' mileages which can rarely be substantiated.

I'm lucky enough to have a late 1960 Jaguar XK150 3.8 Drophead, I bought from the original owner (many years ago). I have a pile of reciepts going back to 1962 that document the Car's accumulated mileage, repair and whereabouts over that time.
   In the USA, that's really all the reliable documentation one can expect.
   Each State has the sole authority to license cars. So there's no clear, accessible and authoritative record of a cars history as there is in the UK, via M.O.T.. Too bad!
   Here, you're left with the option of a careful examination of the car to determine condition, mileage, originality, etc., in the absence of documentation.
   Which is why the ACOC forum and Registry is such a valuable resource for Fruas  and all AC's. Selling a European car in the USA is potentially dicey too. As can be seen on the forum. Honesty and disclosure should be the default position.
   Ahhh, wouldn't that make this a better world? Maybe?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 21:47:56 »
I think people in Europe rely too much on mileage which is really meaningless on a car that old. (Unless one is selling an ultra low mileage car in show room condition). My car was supposed to have 40,000 kilometers when I bought it, yet we all know what condition it was in! Mechanically and cosmetically.
   Mechanical components can always be made new, but rust and rot in general is much more difficult and costly to repair.

California cars are among the most desirable cars because of the dry climate and lack of salt on the roads, yet they usually have very high mileage because of the distance people drive.
   I considered buying CFX28 years ago when it was offered by a dealer in Santa Monica, it looked like in fine condition and I remember the mileage being around 35K, they wanted $60,000 at the time and I though it was too expensive.
   It's unlikely that the sills need replacement since the car comes from the west coast. Mileage to me is like the matching numbers game on some old cars, what was not a matching number car yesterday is now a matching number car today all one needs is a set of dyes! Very unfortunate, thank god the old Ford motors weren't numbered.

Emmanuel[:)]

J Jones

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 00:41:08 »
Me again! (yikes!)
   I'll second Emmanuels observation about mileage.
   For me, the mileage is not a great concern. Condition is the important thing.
   A really big plus (to me) about the 428 is the availability of ALL the mechanical parts.
   If you throw a rod in a 428 --- No Problem! Not only are there NEW FE blocks being made today in both iron and aluminum (as well as every other engine component), with a little effort expended in searching, it's still possible to obtain used original, date-correct blocks at very low cost (if that's "important" to you).
   (and with 428's, WHAT, exactly IS "correct"? There are no engine numbers, no clear dates of manufacture, very skimpy factory records. Who Cares? Same thing with "Shelby Cobras" ! "Original"? well......, sure!)
   You can purchase a fully assembled, blueprinted FE engine for the price of a belt change on a Ferrari.
   If you throw a rod and blow a hole in a Ferrari block, **poof**, there goes most of your investment in the car and tens of thousands of dollars, pounds, euros or Kroner just to get it running again. What fun is that?
   Although everyone has different reasons for owning an old car, for me, making use of the car on the road is the raison d'etre. Staring at it in a garage and polishing it every month is kinda lame. Afraid to drive it? Why have it?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 17:45:33 »
Well said Jeffrey, I think the Frua value is finally reaching  the level it should be at and for the following reasons:
   1) rarity, this used to be a liability but I think it now works in the car's favor as more and more people know about them.
   2) lineage, it's an AC and the chassis is straight 427 Cobra. Set up properly, it drives like one.
   3) performance, one of the quickest 60's cars, big block appeal in this current era of "Fisher-Price" automobiles, especially in Europe. (Germany excluded[:D])
   4) quality of the cars available for sale. Cars are now being restored and we now see quality cars at auctions
   5) awareness, more and more people are now aware of the cars.

Emmanuel[8D]

BBK

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 15:59:24 »
I went on the Hyman web site and noted that this car is no longer available for sale.  Does anyone know its disposition?  Did a member of the Club purchase it?