Author Topic: 1969 Frua Coupe for sale  (Read 10064 times)

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« on: September 26, 2012, 08:49:56 »
Not really cheap: Hyman

BBK

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 15:57:02 »
A beautiful car.  What is generally the market pricing for a Frua?

lyonheart84

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:45:15 »
At current exchange rates the most expensive Fastback I've seen by about £ 50,000 but I guess nothing ventured, nothing gained, Hyman may well get lucky. But looks like a totally original and correct ( I mean standard as it may well have been restored ) looking example. Unusually the sills ( rockers to my American friends ) are the correct curved panels with the correct jacking points and the carpet looks factory correct also. The electric window switches are the correct factory fitted ones for this year build ( usually broken or changed by now ) and it must have been one of the last cars built with the fresh air ducting still in the engine compartment. I know the top hose is not original as it should be rubber but it looks superb in alloy. I'm guessing Emmanuel and Jeffrey you know this car well ?

Classicus

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:48:09 »
Great condition and an excellent example and I think the first 428 for sale this year ? Finally given up buying Lottery tickets as I think it's a seller's market now with so few around anyway.... [:(]

Edit: The last one I can remember sold was CF 42 last November for a reported price of £136,400....

http://acfrua428.activeboard.com/t16000925/cf-42/

BBK

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 15:58:57 »
Thank you for the comments.  It looks like an amazing car.  It is probably worth the price!

nikbj68

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 19:25:43 »
For that money I would have hoped for an AC badge on the nose!!!
   Coupé owner & ACOC member Chuck Maddox, sadly no longer with us, recorded this Coupé, CFX 28, for sale on his website, possibly 2008, for $59k with 19,000 miles.

lyonheart84

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 22:30:31 »
Paul, I was at the Bonhams, Hendon sale at the end of April this year, 1969 RHD Fastback CF 46 was sold there for £ 77,600 including premium ( I think estimate was £ 65,000 to £ 75,000 ). Car was very nice but not perfect, a very sensible price. CF 42 was one of only 6 RHD examples so that might have caused a hike in bidding last November, after all you only need a couple of keen ( wealthy ) bidders to push a car higher than expected. I seem to remember CF 42 was estimated at about £ 80,000 to £ 100,000 in the catalogue so greatly exceeded expectations.

lyonheart84

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 22:33:20 »
By the way I see the car has had some nice detailing done since 2008, together with a $ 200,000 price growth, but as nikbj68  pointed out still no AC badge added !

BBK

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 23:09:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

For that money I would have hoped for an AC badge on the nose!!!
   Coupé owner & ACOC member Chuck Maddox, sadly no longer with us, recorded this Coupé, CFX 28, for sale on his website, possibly 2008, for $59k with 19,000 miles.

Wow!  I have seen Hyman on TV on "What's My Car Worth" on the Velocity Channel (not sure if you get that show in Europe) and he seems to be quite the wheeler dealer.  That is a huge price jump and looking to be a bit optimistic on his part!

Classicus

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 00:27:27 »
Hi Brett, I think you would agree if you think back over the past 5 or 6 years that there's been fewer and fewer cars out of say a possible 65 -70 eligible ones left coming up annually for sale at auctions. And whilst there's been some wide variations in these auction results with average values across the board nevertheless always moving steadily upwards, the underlying trend of fewer and fewer cars coming up for auction is still increasing.

Whether it's because more cars are being sold privately always a very strong possibility I don't know, but the fact remains that the number of 428s no matter what specification coming onto the open market thoroughout this period has been steadily declining inevitably leading to a seller's market, and why I feel it's always going to be unrealistic to try to base 428 valuations on past auction results alone.

I do know that if I'd just won the lottery CF 28 would have been mine as of  yesterday wheeler dealer or not !! [;)]

lyonheart84

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 20:58:45 »
lol well I hope you bought a ticket Paul ! I reckon that if you look back over the last 10 years, on average 3 or 4 Frua's changed hands every year either at auction or from normal dealer or private advertising. Some of these will be the same cars changing hands repeatedly as the market rises. I would imagine some are bought purely for potential investment or profit, and some simply rise in value to the point where the owner feels the money would be more useful than the car, such is the way of the world thankfully, otherwise no desirable classics would ever come back onto the market......... keeping my fingers crossed for your lottery ticket

Classicus

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 23:10:36 »
Hey what about those who'd sell their soul to get one ? Just ask Nik what it feels like.... [:D]

nikbj68

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 01:31:59 »
That would imply I had one to sell to start with!
   My entire life has had ACs running through it, so if you cut a slice through my soul, it would look a bit like this:

J Jones

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 03:32:16 »
(quote)
   "Wow! I have seen Hyman on TV on "What's My Car Worth" on the Velocity Channel (not sure if you get that show in Europe) and he seems to be quite the wheeler dealer. That is a huge price jump and looking to be a bit optimistic on his part!"

A little history about the dealer-seller of this car:

This is not the first AC 428 Frua to pass through Mark Hyman's hands.

Remember CF62? It was the subject of an earlier thread. He sold that one, so I'm sure his eyes are wide open in pricing this one.

Emmanuel has been offered (speaking of eyes) an eye-watering all cash price for his car - FROM A DEALER! (NOT Mark Hyman) - and his car is still in pieces!

Rarity, exclusivity, performance and CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION!

It is thought by many that the lack of an "in-period" racing history for Frua's is a liability in calculating value and desirability. Seems to me that's not actually true.

Maybe it's the glow of the "AC" badge.

Maybe it's the "story" of it's heritage in light of the "big-block" coil-sprung Cobra. Want a Cobra (in disguise) you can actually USE? In relative comfort?

Maybe it's because there are so few of them, and, though flawed by a lack of development, they can be "improved" with adjustments and "in-period" or contemporary go-faster parts.

Want to be one of the few to have a real car that can squash the competition, yet still be economical and fun to run and maintain?

I'm sure Mr. Hyman knows what he's doing. And the price is not out of line for the potential audience of well-heeled collectors.

Considering the deferred or botched maintenance that has affected some of the 428's over the period they've languished in value, it's a good thing they're being bought by individuals who can (presumably) restore them properly.

As tempting as it might be, this is not a time to be greedy. Quality and satisfaction of ownership counts. Only good cars should sell at these levels - my opinion...

(sorry about all the quotation marks and parentheses. Just trying to be "expressive")

J Jones

• View Profile
1969 Frua Coupe for sale
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 07:44:13 »
another note about CFX28.
   It was, apparently, a California car for a good portion of it's life.
   Car + Southern California = no rust.

Here's CFX28 in the past inventory of Heritage Classics. They sold it in 1999- 2000, I believe.
   It didn't have the nose badge then, either

http://www.heritageclassics.com/past-inventory/detail/132-ac-428-frua-.html

Not to get all uppity, but I know of a green LHD drophead that the owner (reportedly) refused an offer of $325,000 for several years ago.  Last I heard, the price was firm at $375,000 - and the owner was not really interested in selling it even at that price. The Owner DOES sell cars, but he's keeping this one under wraps. The car is very close to "perfect".

Hmmmmm....  What's the "market price"?  Depends, apparently....

How much do you lust for one, how soon do you need it, and how deep are your pockets?
   I hope they remain "affordable" and get used on the road.