Author Topic: The Club's Registers  (Read 3692 times)

shep

• View Profile
The Club's Registers
« on: September 24, 2012, 11:29:31 »
As promised I have investigated and can now reply to previous posts concerning the Club's registers.

The Club took expert legal advice from Michael Grenfell (Wilmots), one of the UK’s leading practitioners and Stanley Mann’s solicitor in the much-publicised Brewer v Mann Court of Appeal case referred to in the string.

Michael Grenfell has now reviewed all relevant Club documents and forum posts and concludes that:

“It is my opinion that the Register’s operation:

1.   Is in accordance with UK law
   2.   Is what I would expect to see from a leading register
   3.   Is in accordance with DVLA INF 26 guidance.”

He does not recommend any change to the Club’s register policy or method of operation and the Club will therefore continue with its current register policies and operational methods.

Points outstanding when we commissioned the review were:

Gus(vehicle identity transfer)
   You are correct; a vehicle identity (VIN or chassis number) cannot be transferred from one vehicle to another in most European (including UK) law.

Simon (the law and the DVLA)
   It would appear that you have misread the Brewer v Mann judgment, as detailed in the August Action response and confirmed by Michael Grenfell. DVLA policy, which you may not have fully read, is summarised in INF 26 (on their website).

Barrie (register policy)
   I believe you subsequently had satisfactory discussions with Robin.
   I hope, having commissioned this review, we can now let these forum issues rest. Facts about particular cars sent direct to our registrars are always welcome, and the Council will always address considered register policy and operational recommendations.

Andy Shepherd

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
The Club's Registers
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 01:42:14 »
Thank you, Andy.

Gus