Author Topic: AC Bristol, Vancouver 1962-1963 approx  (Read 5890 times)

AC Bill

• View Profile
AC Bristol, Vancouver 1962-1963 approx
« on: September 07, 2012, 19:24:30 »
This was the car that started my love of the AC's and the Cobra. I was only eight years old at the time my Sisters Boyfriend drove this AC Bristol around Vancouver BC. Red in color, at one time it sported a small competition type windscreen on the drivers side. Not sure why he replaced it with a full windshield, but I bet my Sister may have had something to do with it..lol

A couple of old pictures, of what I believe is an early AC Cobra, that ran at Westwood racetrack around the same time, 1962-63.
   Anyone recognize #59?

AC Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 19:27:16 »
Cobra's racing at Westwood in the mid 60's approx. Is that #59 leading?

jrlucke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 04:48:38 »
Per Racing Sports Cars, the #59 260 Cobra (no SN or color) was entered and driven by John Razzelle who appears to have been quite active in the Northwest first with a MGA twin cam then an E-Type and finally the Cobra. It looks like he was last active in 1964.

Does the small photo of the white Cobra have fender flares on the rear and a vent on the front fender? The first photos of # 59 do not have those features, not to say they weren't added over time.

John

AC Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 17:01:04 »
Good eye John!
   I magnified the picture of the two Cobras on the Westwood track. The white one appears to be # 67, and it does have wheel flares and a fender vent, so it is not the same #59 Razelle car. The blue Cobra, appears to be number 100, and has what I believe, an Oregon license plate. It also has side pipes, whereas the white Cobra does not appear to have them.
   I have learned that the Razelle Cobra was CSX2035. It appears he raced in good company, having competed in the same USRRC races as Ken Miles, and Bob Holbert. I wonder if the #67 car is the same one raced by Jo Siffert, roadster CSX2260? I did find a car #100, owned by Dr. John Gormman (CSX2218), which was once driven by a Bill Stevens from Portland. Perhaps he painted it, as it is listed as "red" in this race program from 1967.

http://www.oregonscca.com/media-library/documents/vintage/rc067.pdf

After Bill Steven's passed away, this newsletter was published, which makes for a really interesting read. It mentions the ultimate demise of the CSX2458 Cobra..

http://www.saacnw.org/newsletters/10/may10news.pdf

With such a limited production of the 260 Cobras, would Shelby have changed the front bumper over-riders on different cars. I notice that the #59 has different ones, than the promo 260 that was featured in Shelby's first ads. The car in the ad's has very strange looking over-riders, that are much shorter and yet wider on the sides, They actually cover the mounting bolts/tubes, almost to the body..Perhaps some that AC Cars provided for it, or Shelby had made up?

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 15:34:37 »
The "strange looking" over-riders on the promo 260 (CSX 2000?) look quite similar to those on early Ace 2.6 models. Not the same however. About halfway through the (very limited) production run of the Ace 2.6 they were changed for the shape that is familiar on leaf spring Cobras. If not the same, again they look remarkably similar.

Jerry

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 14:34:09 »
Bill &  Dave  .

Thank you for the numerous email and the pictures, lets hope you locate the period pictures of the dark ( Red ) Ace Bristol on Washington plates in the Family Archives and they prove to be of my BEX333..[:p]

Any period pictures of Ace Bristols especially in various Paddock or Race circuit always appreciated and shared with ACOC Ace & Ace Bristol Registrars.
   Please keep routing through the Family Album/Archives..[;)].

Keith ..[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 00:54:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by bex316

The "strange looking" over-riders on the promo 260 (CSX 2000?) look quite similar to those on early Ace 2.6 models. Not the same however.

CSX2000`s overriders look very like Greyhound ones to me, or even James Bond`s Aston ones!!!

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 23:59:20 »
And here is Davids message to Keith including the May 1964 pictures found of BEX 333. The proof is in the registration plate number. What a surprise it is indeed!

Well your in luck Keith!

As I thought my mom Lorraine did have photos of a washington plated ACE...and check out the plate!!

It is your car!

I cant believe it either.
   and the best thing they are month and date stamped..may 64.

So hope that adds to your archive

I will send these to my uncle Bill now too.

Also my mother is planning to visit England to visit family and do some geneology research in the next few years from what she tells me.

The reason she has all these photos was her boyfriend Wayne Laker owned and drove the other one in the photos I sent. Perhaps if she makes it there you can take her for a spin in an ACE again  almost 50 years later!

I have a few more of that white cobra at Westwood and will send in separate email

Let me know what ya think of the photos..

Regards
   Dave
   Vancouver, Canada

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 00:19:30 »
Jerry

Thank you posting Daves  pictures date  May 1964 ARZ913 is definitely BEX333, photos taken some 7 months before Lee Kolb bought it, and looked after and enjoyed it until I became the Third Custodian in September 2000.

Jerry can you copy the pictures onto my Thread "History of BEX333 1957 -1965"

Thank You Jerry.last but not least thanks to Dave (Bill) and Lorraine for taking the pictures back in 1964.

Keith ..[:)]

AC Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 18:42:31 »
Keith,  Wow, what a fluke she had pictures of your car back then..amazing.. I'm guessing that my Sister probably had the camera, and her boyfriend had her take the pictures of it, being an Ace owner himself..
   I'm not sure if Dave has yet had the chance to review the CD he made up from several old 8mm films of cars racing at Westwood back in the day, but we both think there may be some footage of an Ace racing on them. Be amazing to have that footage, if it is your car...I have the CD he sent me around here somewhere, and will see if I can did it out.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 00:50:54 »
Bill &  Dave.

Receiving two new period photos of BEX333 (dated May 1964) is a Bonus and confirms that it was Red in May 1964, Earlier photos confirm it was Light Metalic Blue in 1962, and some time between 1958 and 1962 its original coat of Thames Ditton White disapeared under the Silver Blue Paint job.  When [?]..one day We will home in on a date.

In the meantime, If you can find the 8mm film of Sports Car racing at WestWood, lets hope it shows Jim Parsons Piloting BEX333 round the track, as well as a few other Aces known to have competed at WestWood..[;)]  If negative would still appreciate CD or DVD of capturing period Sports racing at WestWood. (1958 - Early 1960s)

If it does Please arrange for good copy, I will reimburse cost of copy and Post&Packing.[:p]

Please Thank Lorraine for hopefully capturing BEX333 in ACtion at WestWood.....  Last but not least thank you Bill & Dave for coming up trumps...[;)]

Keith ..[:)]..[:)]