Author Topic: 15" wheels  (Read 20809 times)

French Frie

• View Profile
15" wheels
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:24:35 »
a friend of mine has just imported a MKIV (topic to come, and it has 15"  wheels ... I love it [:D]! I know the subject has been beaten to death, but a discussion   with an ACOC member (sorry, I can't remember his name) has confused me [:o)] !

he said that trigo wheels don't have the correct offset (ET) and, if I remember clearly, that implies that front wheels foul with calipers...
   those sold by Gerry Hawkridge seem to have the correct ET, but they're not in the same budget range [:(] !

he also said that US seller (Vintage wheels or somethin' like that [;)] !) may provide hallibrand-like wheels, with the correct ET...

what is  your experience with that ?

thanks !

Olivier

bobbylangley

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 13:22:10 »
I have Gerry's wheels fitted to my MkIV, as does Bruce and Matt and we are all really pleased with them. Save up, it will be worth it[:D]

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 13:51:46 »
Beside the ET the trigos has also a different cone. They do not fit on the MK IV hubs. Buy Gerry's, they'll work.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 15:16:02 »
I also have Gerry’s wheels fitted to my MkIV with Avons. My wheels did require the centres to be machined a little in order to get the angle right for the spinners, but the offset was no problem. FYI - If you go with the 15 wheels and Avon tyres don't be tempted to fit the widest front you can as it will foul the arches on full lock.

SB7019

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 16:11:47 »
Mine are also sourced from Gerry and have Avons.  The rears ( 275's) were fouling the arches under heavy bumps or cornering.  Some adjustment by Thunder Road has sorted this and the grip, ride steering and braking are all now vastly better than the Setup was on 16's.  I did have a slight problem with the balance weights on the inside of the rims slightly fouling the front calipers but this was easily solved by shaving the weights very slightly.  I suspect this would not be a problem on a MkIV as the AP Racing calipers on my Superblower look quote a bit bigger.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 21:59:17 »
I cannot speak for the Mk. IV, but you do have to remember that the the steering arms have to be modified on the second chassis type if you fit Halibrand style wheels. This was the case in period and is nothing to do with the rather good Trigo reproductions.
   I did help a chum fit 15" Trigos and 15" Dymags to his Mk. IV and the seating angles were correct on the hub and the knock on. He used Dunlop Racing M section on the Dymags and Avon CR6ZZ on the Trigos. The fronts were no problem, but both the Dunlops and the Avons were too big for the rear wheel arch spaces. This was a puzzle as they were the correct size for an original car with the second style chassis - 6.50M and 295 section respectively, close to the original Goodyear 26.5 x 10.5 racing covers. However on inspection it was obvious that the wheel arches had plenty of room and it was the exhaust hanging that was the problem, once the hanging was sorted out as Brian Angliss intended the tyres worked a treat.
   I did attempt the same approach on a  4000  series Shelby  "Cobra"  (Super Performance) but to my surprise the 295 Avons would not fit in the rear and no amount of examination could find an easy answer. For some reason they made the wheel arch less roomy and a smaller rear tyre (275 Avon) had to be used.
   I think the question of wheel balance weights is one that goes right back to the first Cobras. For what it is worth I only ever go for static balance so there is never any need for weights on the outside of a wheel. Then for balance weights on the wheel inner rim you fit the front weights as far outboard as possible and on the rears as far inboard as possible. This works for the worst case - Girling CR fronts and ORA rears. With iron callipers - 16/3, or Type B fronts on the first type of chassis and 12/3 rears there is more space, but do a trial fit before sticking the weights in place and putting the metal foil tape over them.

Paul Mundy

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 19:40:52 »
I can only comment regarding the  15" front wheels as the rears on my Superblower SB7002 are Barrie Bird surplus (and very well they scrubbed up too}.
   I therefore needed a pair of front wheels to complete the set,I ordered a pair from Curtis at Trigo, they arrived within a week, fitted perfectly (certainly no offset or hub mounting issues here) I am very pleased with the quality and even allowing for ups carriage and duty they represent very good value.

French Frie

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 12:42:47 »
To all : Many thanks for your answer ! But I must say that I can't define if Trigo wheels will fit or not ...
   Peter, are you sure about the cone fact ? I've heard about machining for the spinners indeed, but not for the hub...
   I also have to admit that Trigo wheels prices are really more affordable than the hawk wheels, and can be found on second hand... They're also appreciated by cobra replicas owners, hence my question...

Paul Mundy

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 13:38:30 »
For what it is worth I have just removed one of my Trigo front wheels and compared the hub mount cone angle to one of my original 16" wheels using a profile gauge and it appears the same. My car has the standard BMW calipers which may be why I have not had an issue with them fouling the rims.
   Regarding machining I have not had any issues with the Trigo wheels, strangely it was the older original 15" wheels that I obtained from Barrie Bird that needed slight modification to allow my spinners to sit correctly, I contacted Barrie , he informed me he had not had an issue with them which seems to point to possible differences in the spinners we all use, perhaps some have a larger shoulder behind the spinner wing ?

French Frie

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 14:37:55 »
Thanks Paul for that info ... I know that my 16" hallibrand have been machined to accept the spinners instead of the autokraft hexagonal bolt, but I've made 4 bronze spinners anyway (to avoid seizing), and I know for sure that they match the trigo wheels...

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 12:40:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by French Frie

To all : Many thanks for your answer ! But I must say that I can't define if Trigo wheels will fit or not ...
   Peter, are you sure about the cone fact ? I've heard about machining for the spinners indeed, but not for the hub...
   I also have to admit that Trigo wheels prices are really more affordable than the hawk wheels, and can be found on second hand... They're also appreciated by cobra replicas owners, hence my question...

Michael (1984MkIV in the forum) bought Trigos for his 1984 MK IV and they didn't matched. As I remember the problem was that on the rear hubs the wheels hit the brake discs but haven't reached the cone. Please, contact Michael for further information.

BBK

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 22:46:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by French Frie

Thanks Paul for that info ... I know that my 16" hallibrand have been machined to accept the spinners instead of the autokraft hexagonal bolt, but I've made 4 bronze spinners anyway (to avoid seizing), and I know for sure that they match the trigo wheels...

FF, I too have the original 16" Autokraft wheels with the Hex bolt as this was required for U.S. regulations.  You mention you made a set of 4 bronze spinners for your car.  I am very interested in getting a set of the bronze spinners such as were original to the Mk IV cars.  Did you actually make them yourself, or do you have a source to make them or purchase them?  I have checked with Gerry and he has stainless and aluminum spinners but not bronze.  AC Heritage can supply a bronze set but for a price that seems perhaps a bit on the high side.  I would be interested in obtaining some bronze spinners through you if possible depending on the pricing.  Thank you!

AK1055

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 10:15:59 »
See previous topic
   New size Avon CR6ZZ 225/60 15

This new size Avon should not rub the front GRP inner liners.
   I have an extra spare set of 15" lightweight Autokraft Halibrand style wheels which came with my car. I might consider parting with them for a price!

French Frie

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 11:54:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by AK1055

I might consider parting with them for a price!

U've got an email  [;)] !

French Frie

• View Profile
15" wheels
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 16:17:14 »
13 days later ... Here are the wheels (from Hawk), in their new home [;)] !

With the new front dimension (225/60/15):

Thanks to Malcom for this easy and smooth transaction, and to BMTR for fitting the Avons and shipping  the whole... I can't wait [}:)] !