Author Topic: Door hinges  (Read 3346 times)

justnow

• View Profile
Door hinges
« on: July 21, 2015, 10:48:22 »
Need some help regarding door hinges. I tried to adjust a door at my Ac and realized that the real source are pretty loose door hinges. I can lift the doors around 0.5 centimter up and down. Never worked on them and had a look how to fix it. Looks like one has to remove a lot to get access to the hinges. Who did it before and are there any tricks? Thanks a lot in advance.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Door hinges
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 15:05:20 »
What car is it?
   Robin

justnow

• View Profile
Door hinges
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 16:45:21 »
sorry a Ac Ace Bristol

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Door hinges
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 17:44:53 »
The Hinge is fabricated with double yoke type arms welded onto a tube into which the hinge bolt fits, the bolt going through a welded bracket top & bottom which are welded to the body tube frame (A pillar) these arms then are then bolted onto brackets which are welded onto the Front tube frame of the door!
   It may be that the fixings have loosened or worst case the brackets fractured, there could also be some wear in the pivot hinge bolt, you will need to expose the hinge area to determine the problem, a good body shop should be able to deal with it & re-hang the door into the frame!

Robin

Rob.Hendriks

• View Profile
Door hinges
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 23:39:10 »
Although not a picture of an Ace, believe this may help clarify what Robin is attempting to describe in the previous post

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Door hinges
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 06:53:34 »
Rob
   Thanks a picture always helps.

Robin

tim isles

• View Profile
Door hinges
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 12:46:23 »
I think this is a common problem, but easily rectified. On all the cars cars I've worked on there are bronze bushes about an inch long fitted to the top and bottom of the hinge post tube, through which the securing bolt fits. They wear fairly rapidly, but are a simple job to replace. Just pack the hole underneath the hinge bolt with a cloth to stop nuts and washers dropping down into the sill! Tim

justnow

• View Profile
Door hinges
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 13:46:58 »
Great and thank you vey much. will work on it next weekend. Or maybe live with it until winter. will be at the classic days at Castle Dyk the following weekend.Cheers