Author Topic: AKL1405 / German version & questions  (Read 8491 times)

SwissAKL

• View Profile
AKL1405 / German version & questions
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 17:31:22 »
Dear French Frie,
   Honestly the Swiss administration is the worst to deal with. I mean it's all about papers, papers, certificate et nonsense stuff regarding cars. For people like me who love driving special things, it's a NIGHTMARE. I bought the brochure, it won't be useful as it has no "value" to the guys here, but it's cool to have it anyway, thanks for the link !

SwissAKL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 18:25:30 »
Dear Dart, thanks for the clue, so there's space for a silencer IN the wheel arch, I'll take the car on a ramp and find out. I'll be able to post some more pictures of the car by the same way

SwissAKL

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 19:34:15 »
Dear fellows, one important question, do you know where I can get a factory Specification Sheet for my car ? I think that's the sort of document I'd need to prove my engine is the correct one as engine number, chassis and spec is listed in there ?

dart427

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 21:12:47 »
Dear SwissAKL

These silencers are not aftermarket products, but very special factory items.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 22:38:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by dart427

2 exhaust silencers each side means: 2 cats and 1 silencer in line, and 1 silencer IN the rear weel arch.

Dart 427

exactly.. my memory did not let me down!
   As mentioned, my car was originally produced to German spec for meeting TüV requirements.
   I found the whole set-up in my storage.
   As Dart mentions: on each side, exhaust manifolds are followed by two cat converters and a flat silencer, all lying inline in front of the rear suspension. The first silencer is somewhat shorter than the single silencer I have now on the car. Behind the first silencer the pipe bends upwards at about 100°, then follows a second flat silencer sitting horizontally over the rear suspension (hence behind the wheel), the pot itself being laid sideways. The inlet into this silencer and the outlet therefrom form an angle of about 100° and are direct part of the main body, such that there is no bend but a sharp corner in and out. The end pipe comes down again forming a bend of about 100° to the tail section sitting almost horizontally under the rear fender. Hope this is all comprehensive.
   Both silencers ar marked as follows:
   Fist silencer: Cheesman SS 328 (irrespective of side)
   Second silencer: Cheesman SS 329 R (right side) respectively Cheesman SS 329 L (left side).

So that's the clue.

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 23:36:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by SwissAKL

Dear fellows, one important question, do you know where I can get a factory Specification Sheet for my car ? I think that's the sort of document I'd need to prove my engine is the correct one as engine number, chassis and spec is listed in there ?

Alexandre, I have three period brochures that I have scanned into my computer as pdf files.  These brochures contain specifications on the Mk IV cars.  If you email me directly at rmkrantz@pacbell.net, I can attach them to my reply.  The email from the forum does not allow me to send you attachments from what I can see.  Not sure if these would assist you or not, or if you need a specification sheet for your specific car.  If so, I believe you can contact the Mk IV Registrar, Alan Faulkner-Stevens.  He may or may not have a specific build sheet for your car.

Rob

SwissAKL

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 07:18:00 »
Hi Guys, big steps forward... thanks to your help and I'm grateful, really you have to love AC owner's spirit.
   Some questions are answered now :
   - "LL" engine code was stamped by the factory after completion of the cars for those which were meant for the German market. Now I'm pretty sure it's also stamped onto my engine, I just have to search for it. If I manage to put hands on my car's production sheet, administrative problem will be solved

- Now I contacted Cheesman to see if they can provide new original silencers. They sounded like they're not sure if they still have record of the pattern but let's cross fingers they do... If they can, it's another step toward Swiss registration...

- Received new Avon VR rated tires...

- Got a certificate from Compomotive so that I can now prove my wheels are correct to my car...

What's remaining to do : manufacture a custom air filter housing, control front and rear track to be sure they match the German TüV data after wheels refurbished, Avon tires on and geometry done.

SwissAKL

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 15:03:24 »
Just a quick message to tell the car has been accepted by the Swiss and is now fully homologated ! It's been a long, difficult and expensive process but now it's done ! Many thanks to all for your help !

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 16:09:06 »
Congratulations Alex!!!! Excellent news.
   Let`s hope that soon you have a MkVI to accompany you on your drives!

SwissAKL

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 17:59:54 »
Thanks, It's such a nightmare to have these cars registered in Switzerland ! I've been through the process since around april so it's a long wait, much money and effort put into it... and now the sunny (warm) days are gone... so I have to enjoy it and freeze at the same time.

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 21:32:30 »
Congratulations [:)] ! The hardest is done, now you can enjoy it ... Here, the temperature is still 23°c, and I must confess I took the MKIV for a ride this evening, after a long and hard working day [:p] ...  But the twilight comes early !

REV

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 00:10:06 »
Enjoy your car. I'm sure all the troubles will soon be forgotten when you're driving it.

:-)