Author Topic: AKL1405 / German version & questions  (Read 8537 times)

SwissAKL

• View Profile
AKL1405 / German version & questions
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:51:28 »
Hello everyone,

Just a quick message to introduce myself, Alex, living in Geneva Switzerland, owner of AKL1405 since earlier this year. The car is a Germany model and I'm currently trying to register it in Switzerland. However, as usual Swiss administration is making things harder than expected and I would have some technical and historical questions about my car as I know you guys are far more knowledgeable than I am!

I'll post my questions and some pictures later, I need to find some free time at the office today. I'm also trying to join the ACOC and by the way I'd like to thank Alan who was a great help when I got in touch with him.

DGoose

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:31:03 »
Alex,

Probably the easiest and most straightforward means of joining the Owners Club is to purchase membership via the link below,this payment is processed through PayPal.

http://www.acownersclub-shop.co.uk/

Welcome to the world of AC ownership,

David

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 11:00:29 »
Hello Alex,
   Welcome onboard.
   Would be interested to see photos of your car.
   Here is a link explaining how to do for posting photos here.
   http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=145

ACOC membership is very useful. Get's you into a different league for access to valuable information and super events.
   Constant

SwissAKL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 14:21:29 »
Ok I just completed my membership purchase.

SwissAKL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 16:53:33 »
Here are 2 pictures of the car !
   Original colour was bright blue metallic.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 17:49:07 »
very nice car[:)] congratulations

Cannot see from picture: does it have straight LW type dash or T-shaped?

From the Swiss licence plates I derive that you have surpassed Swiss administration difficulties.

May I suggest you contact the MkIV registrar for an update of the register. His contact details by PM.

SwissAKL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 18:11:26 »
Hello,

It has the LW correct dashboard, however the heater controls have been moved and other gauges put in place. I may revert back to stock dash.

Actually these are professional Swiss plates on, so I'm far from having surpassed the Swiss administrative hassle ! I'll forward my technical questions/difficulties later tonight.

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 20:39:46 »
Hello Alexandre,

I recognise your car!  I drove it about 2 months ago when it was still in the care of one of my friends here in London.  I assume that you are the new owner and not the dealer who took it back into Europe?  If yes, drop me a personal message and I'll do my best to give you more details on the car.

Bruce

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 20:53:56 »
Alex..

Welcome to The AC Owners Club  and   Congratulations on the Purchase of AKL1405..[:)]..  Looks a great Car and  so much better in Dark colour especially  Black.

Constant Wagner & Heiner Schaefer are two Contacts who could possibly assist you in clearing the bureaucratic system of registration in Switzerland.   Good Luck..[;)]

Keith..[:)]

SwissAKL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 22:04:41 »
Thanks guys for your comments.

C9OBY: I'm actually a classic & sports cars dealer but I bought the car for myself. To make a long story short, I always wanted an aluminium Cobra, and I think the MK IV is a fantastic car, well built, tight and the look is spot on. So when the opportunity showed up to buy this AKL I didn't hesitate as I'd already started to look around for one !

AC Ace Bristol: Actually I know the Swiss process and I'm into it. I have shown the car to the inspectors here and had to provide the German homologation file I had with it. However the car has a few points not matching the German file and this is where they're being picky.

So if some fellows could help me with the following point I'd be grateful. I intended to enjoy the car this summer but it's going to be tough !

- First of all I've been asked to proved full engine caracteristics from the engine number. In other words I need a paper that says that engine number XXXXXXXX of my car is a Ford 5.0 bore, stroke, capactiy etc... Does Ford provide such data sheet with specific engine number on it ? Or does any Autokraft official document exist (i.e. production sheet, factory record) with car's chassis & engine number on it with engine specificiation ?

- Then my whole exhaust system failed to pass the inspection :
   The 4 cat converters have no marks on them (or we haven't seen them) they're supposed to be 1920 and 1922 on the right exhaust line, 1919 and 1921 on the left side line. Does anybody have such marking on his car's catalytic converters ?

- Then the German file says there are 2 exhaust silencers each side (so 4 total) also marked "SS 328" and "SS 329". Anyone has seen such an exhaust system ? I wonder how these could all be packed up in line in such lenght, that's 2 cats and 2 silencers before the rear wheel arch !

- The car has no air filter housing, I suppose these never had, but the Swiss apparently need an "aspiration silencer" read air filter housing. I'm wondering what to use there and where to get something adequate, there's no much space in there where the air filter is!

Other typical "Swiss hassle" included obligation to change tires to VR speed index (the car has HRs up to 210 km/h, but car is given for a top speed of 217 km/h). So that's a set of Avon CR6ZZ... that are ordered to be able to do the top speed of 217 km/h on roads that are allowed max. 120 km/h. So basically bureaucracy says: change your tires because your car can do 217 km/h and we don't want you to die because of exploding tire, we'd rather like you to go to jail and pay the fine for speeding. Nosense.

Any help welcome for having some period, technical data, production sheet etc... ! The Swiss love papers.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 23:52:13 »
Alex,
   The specification sheet (production sheet) I have of my car gives a.o.:
   Engine number MF xxxxxx              302 ER
   no further indication on the actual data of the engine.

I do have a 46 page AC Cars Limited sales brochure (intended for dealers) not dated but I trace it to early 1996 (based on ingredients - it features a.o. copy of an article on the AC Ace (Brooklands) published in the Feb 1996 issue of Performance car. The brochure also lists November 1995 prices for the cars in the standard production: AC Ace 5.0 manual; AC Ace 5.0 automatic; Cobra 5.0.
   This brochure has a full page on the Cobra (de facto with 302 EFI engine). I could send you copy of that page or full brochure if needed.
   I assume your engine is the 302 EFI. If so this could help.

As to the exhaust:
   My car was originally built to German spec. It currently features 2 cat converters and a silencer pot each side. I know however from the previous owner that this is not the original configuration. I still have somewhere in storage the original back end of the assembly and it may well be that there were 2 smaller silencer pots each side. I will be able to check this on Wednesday as this piece is stocked offsite.

I will also be able to check on Wednesday, when the car will be serviced, if the cat converters feature any numbers.
   This brochure has a full page on the Cobra (de facto with 302 EFI engine). I could send you copy of that page or full brochure if needed.

SwissAKL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 07:21:04 »
Dear Constant, thanks for your reply.

Paperwise, the Swiss want something "official" looking and specific for the engine. The production sheet would be excellent, now I don't know how to find such a thing. My engine is SF118035 and is the original one to my car (same number on engine and AC manufacturer's plate). Again we had a problem because the German type approval says engine type is "LL" stamped on top of black, and my engine number has no LL nowhere (that I have seen because of the mess of wires around it). It is possible that the LL type would have been stamped by the importer himself ? I had a chat with the former Swiss importer he said engines were stamped "5.0" for swiss market. I don't know. I have to find a way to put my hands on a Ford or AC Autokraft paper with my engine number and its spec on. I still have to investigate.

Regarding the exhaust system, what you say is very interesting because I also have the current setup that you have i.e. 2 cats and 1 silencer each side. I'd be so grateful if you could have a look at your original exhaust line setup so that I could sort that mystery out ! Thanks for your help !

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:20:23 »
Hi Martin,

I'll check tonight for the former exhaust set-up.
   I sent you another PM relating to engine data.

dart427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 17:10:33 »
2 exhaust silencers each side means: 2 cats and 1 silencer in line, and 1 silencer IN the rear weel arch.

Dart 427

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 17:15:09 »
Hello Alex,

good luck with Administration [:o)] ! French one is supposed to be the worst, but Switzerland is not that far from here [;)] ...

maybe you can find some useful infos in this period brochure, from the swiss importer ?

http://cgi.ebay.fr/AC-Cobra-Mk-IV-1989-Schweiz-4-S-Preise-/380461407305?pt=Kataloge_Prospekte&hash=item5895445c49#ht_500wt_963

hope this helps ...