Author Topic: seat belts  (Read 5439 times)

david langford

• View Profile
seat belts
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:48:17 »
Hi Guys
          Getting the interior sorted out this winter and, while I'm at it, I want to change the seat belts to inertia reel (god those statics get on my nerves). Does any one know if they were ever fitted as standard, if they were, what sort and, if not, has any one done this and what type did they go for?
           Also having a bit of trouble with the window switches. Trawled the interweb and the only ones similar seem to be american but couldn't find dimensions and tricky to tell if they'd fit from a picture. Again has any one had the same problem and have any good suggestions?
                    Thanks Dave

cliffordl

• View Profile
seat belts
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 13:46:15 »
David,

Not sure if 428's ever had an inertia option - generally Quickfit seem to come up as the prefered option for retrofit. Do let us know how you get on.

The window switches I presume are the squarish rectangular examples (Lucas? as opposed to the long rocker switch type made by Clear Hooters) - said to be all but unobtainable so keep on searching ebay or maybe try Brian Eacott at Chessington 02083978472 who still has a number of useful bits and pieces.
   I'm not aware of anyone reconditioning switches - would dearly love to do so as most of the clear hooter examples are failing and now hard to find.

shep

• View Profile
seat belts
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 18:36:38 »
Hi David, I have fitted inertia reel belts to various cars including a 428 Frua. I bought them from Unity Motors, here in Byfleet Surrey, but I will have to check the name on the reel. The window switches are a real problem. I have replaced mine with a VW window switch and made up an adaptor plate. I think that the current they carry causes them to burn out, and a relay is required. I looked for ages for the correct switches and fitted VW so at least I can use the windows. Maybe one day we will find some, and I can retro fit the correct ones.

J Jones

• View Profile
seat belts
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 02:09:51 »
Shep: I think the original switches (for the later cars) might have been from Bertone/Lucas. Oddly, I did run across such an item a while ago on Ebay. I did not buy it, as it was not correct for my car. Here's something similar - a lucas window switch for Ferrari:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Maserati-Switch-Lucas-Window-OEM-/160672835246?hash=item2568d8e6ae&item=160672835246&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Here (below) is a current replacement rocker-type window switch for Bertone/ducellier. As you may remember, Emmanuel discovered an exact, bolt-in replacement for his window lift motor and armature unit, sourced from Maserati parts (Indy, I think). They (Maserati) also used Bertone window lift switches. Here are links to the modern replacements, sold through Maserati club international (MCI) (I don't know if they are identical; they appear to be, but....

http://www.maseratinet.com//pc-10700-371-window-switch.aspx
           http://www.maseratinet.com//pc-10700-551-window-switch.aspx
           http://www.maseratinet.com//pc-22475-441-chrome-switch-frame.aspx

Here is an "alternate" bertone replacement switch:

http://www.maseratinet.com//p-10687-window-switch-bosch.aspx

These are not "American" switches - No doubt they were made in Europe (or China, or somewhere) can be purchased in Europe or the UK. Possibly they may be seen and measured "in person" to determine if they look and fit as per the originals.

As you know, what is "right" depends on whether your car is an early or late car. The late cars used rocker-type switches. My early car had a lever-type window switch. At least, that's what was fitted when the car came to me. I found some old Lucas window switches that look to be the same as those I have now. (of course, I can't find them at the moment. They've been stashed somewhere). These require a surround for mounting (as is fitted to my present window switches). Here's a link to the (possible) similar lucas switch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140497720077?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have not changed my existing window switches, as they still work well. Unfortunately, the rubber boots that covered the lever (when I got my car) have perished. I don't know if they were "original", but they were certainly "old" and torn.

As a side-note, MCI have the small, circular decals for identifying the function of early-type 428 dash switches.

http://www.maseratinet.com//p-10137-switch-emblem-decals.aspx

Those same switches were also used by Maserati as well as Monteverdi, Rover (and others). I have purchased several original in-the-box two and three position dash switches over the years as spares. (they too, are stashed somewhere - don't know where).Here is a similar early-type dash switch on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MASERATI-MISTRAL-GHIBLI-LAMBORGHINI-400-LIGHT-SWITCH-/120759448421?hash=item1c1dd2f365&item=120759448421&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Emmanuel has a trove of rocker-type dash switches, I believe sent him from Australia. Ahhhh the Interwebby-thing! So useful for finding the "impossible-to-find"!

Sorry; None of the above has anything to do with seat belts. But they could possibly be useful for the 428 parts list, of which Andy is the curator, in addition to his many voluntary club duties.

david langford

• View Profile
seat belts
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 13:54:45 »
Hi guys
          My dash is the later one and the window switches are the big square ones, made by Miraglio. Took the car to a little TV repair shop this morning and the guy took the switch out, took it apart, cleaned all the contacts and now seems to work perfectly. I guess I was lucky that the switch only needed a clean up but I did ask, with you guys in mind, if it would be possible to have it fixed if there were any serious problems and he seemed fairly confident. Although he did add the "can't guarantee" proviso. So, Shep, if you have a Miraglio window switch, they can be taken apart and possibly repaired. Cliffordl, do you know if the Clear Hooter ones are sealed?
          Had a chat with another guy about seat belts and all the mounting points will take an inertia reel set without any modifications. Just got to find some that look like they came from the 70s. Shep, were the ones you had fitted period pieces or modern replacements?
            Thanks for your replies
                  Dave

david langford

• View Profile
seat belts
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 14:23:14 »
Clear Hooters light switches are available at The Roadster Factory, trf.zeni, and they are also takeapartable, to answer my own question.
                    Dave

shep

• View Profile
seat belts
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 15:44:46 »
Sorry David, I knew there was something I needed to look at...and forgot! I'll have a look later and give you the name. The inertias I fitted are modern, but look pretty much like the period ones. I should know because my first holiday job from school was at Britax, making up child seat harnesses and after market seat belt sets. Using the employee discount shop, all my friends had racing full harness belts in their Minis. Happy days, I wonder what ever happened to that Claire in the Accounts Dept? Thanks Jeffrey for the links, I will check them out. My switches were the Miraglio type, but I am not sure if we saved the burnt out originals. Andy.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
seat belts
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 20:49:39 »
Oh Andy how romantic you have not forgotten me. I am overwhelmed. You just have to meet your son. With all my yearning. Claire

shep

• View Profile
seat belts
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 00:31:26 »
My oh my Claire, what long and thick whiskers you have! Not how I remember at all! Hang on, Barrie you've hijacked my dream!