Author Topic: 2013 International in the USA  (Read 46124 times)

ACOCArch

• View Profile
2013 International in the USA
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 13:25:56 »
Re protection of cars, Constant raises an issue which is undoubtedly important to anyone considering joining this exciting trip.

It is interesting that AutoShippers claim that special protection is not required on their RoRo ships, as the cars are on internal decks. Containers on the other hand are often in very exposed positions on the upper (outside) deck.

John

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 14:59:11 »
My idea was to see if there is an alternative to ship from mainland Europe, from a port easily accessible for members from northern France, Benelux countries, Germany.
   Just received full complement of information from SCL Rotterdam.
   Whereas at first glance the shipment looks attractive, local handling fees including customs clearance in LA ruin a bit the attractiveness.
   Round trip from Rotterdam to LA and back sum up to 3,218 € (3,954 $) if 4 cars per container. This includes all handling, customs clearance etc charges. Insurance is not included. It might be good to see with our insurance experts to get global coverage for all cars, as insurance rates are very high.

Another remark regarding nonresident import exemption. A restriction is that a car can only be driven in the US by the owner or a close family member. Hence this implies that cars have to be collected from and returned to warehouse by the owner himself, and not by a third party. As a consequence, time for that will have to be allocated in our schedules.
   Constant

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 15:34:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by ACOCArch
   It is interesting that AutoShippers claim that special protection is not required on their RoRo ships, as the cars are on internal decks. .....

Maybe they are right."Secured in the hold, wind and water tight" under deck is effectively good enough without wax protection. We would need to find out from a customer having effectively used the service.

CRS9505

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 16:40:46 »
Or have a body made of carbon fibre! [:)]

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 17:01:43 »
It's not only the body, it's all other parts not necessarily protected by a resistant coating. Like hubs, brake calipers and rotors, suspension parts, engine parts etc
   A friend of mine, race car preparer, usually advises to apply loads of WD-40, but I am not sure how this reacts with brake pads if the car is stored for a bit longer a period. This would also have to be applied just prior to loading. Roll on/off might become a bit tricky if brakes do not work properly as a consequence of being sprayed with an oily product. Maybe I am too careful?

CRS9505

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 23:06:26 »
Unfortunately there is a problem with condensation in containers although most shippers will put in silica bags to keep the moisture down (works well in saloons of course).
   Otherwise can Silver City make it across the Atlantic? [:)]

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 04:04:51 »
Otherwise can Silver City make it across the Atlantic?

ACs are used to flying! Jack Mitchell and AC Two-Litre boarding Bristol Freighter Eastleigh 1952

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 04:09:46 »
Autoshippers have declined to quote for RoRo shipping.

Have obtained a 1-way indicative quote for an AC 3000ME, US-UK. shipping in a container, as follows:

Shipping - US$1195
   Insurance - 2% of declared value with US$1000 excess.

Service includes receiving at the local port warehouse, preparation of export condition report, export custom clearance, secure loading/blocking/bracing into a steel ocean container, transport of loaded container to departure port and ocean freight to destination port.
   Taxes, Duties, Custom Inspections, Destination Customs Clearance, port charges, storage, unloading or delivery services are not
   included in the quotation.

There are weekly departures to most destinations.

On that basis, and at $1.50/£, indicative costs for a return journey between London (Tilbury) and Long Beach, including insurance excluding arrival port charges would be:

AC 3000ME (Value £15K) - £2200.
   AC Cobra MkIV (Value £100K) - £3600.
   AC Cobra MkI/II (Value £250K)- £6600.

I would emphasise this is an indicative quote only and, as can be seen, insurance charges dominate for the higher valued cars. It may well be possible to negotiate better deals, in particular for a group, although insurance may still dominate.

Another quote has been requested from a second RoRo operator.

Cheers, John

Jam2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 07:51:06 »
My experience of shipping a Cobra to the East Coast was back in 1981 and may be quite out of date;  I went for a RoRo option which back then was very cheap (£200),  the one aspect that caused trouble for me was that the underside of the car was subject to a high pressure wash.  The result was that on day 2 of the east to west drive, one of the stiffening rods in the fuel tank let go and deposited 15 gallons of fuel into a multistory car park.  It was repaired with 'goo' bought from a local garage.  Two days later the other rod let go with a similar result and repair.  I have no idea if this type of tank problem is common, but the pressure clean was the cuprit.  Be warned if you have an origional tank.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 08:24:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by ACOCArch
   Shipping - US$1195
   Insurance - 2% of declared value with US$1000 excess.

Service includes receiving at the local port warehouse, preparation of export condition report, export custom clearance, secure loading/blocking/bracing into a steel ocean container, transport of loaded container to departure port and ocean freight to destination port.
   Taxes, Duties, Custom Inspections, Destination Customs Clearance, port charges, storage, unloading or delivery services are not
   included in the quotation.

John this is not the full picture. Initial quote I had received from SCL Rotterdam was similar. Expensive part is the import and handling into US and customs clearance.

Here is the full detail after I had gone to clarify all aspects. Cost is in € per car (given 4 cars per container)

ACOC - shipment of cars to LA
   SCL Rotterdam 16/08/2012

€/$   0.814

Total/car (excl. of insurance)      3,218

Rdam=> LA shipment (*)         895
   THC USA                    153
   Container => warehouse              56
   chassis fee            49
   pier pass fee            24
   unloading from container      163
   Customs clearance         305
   Handling office fee         20
   Courier fee            10

LA => Rdam            1,038
   unloading from container      395
   Customs clearance         75
   Handling charge          35

Insurance 2% of declared value (80 K€) = 2 x 1,600

(*)R'dam => LA shipment charge is including receipt at local port warehouse (R'dam), preparation of our NL export condition report, export Customs clearance, THC, AES Filing, BAF, WARFAGE, secure loading-blocking-bracing into ocean container, transport of loaded container to departure port and ocean freight to destination port.
   Equally, LA => R'dam shipment charge includes all above.

As you can see, import to US is the more expensive bit.

What might still come on top is following:
   "The amount above does not cover any US customs exams fee’s, x rays, if the container get’s pulled over and taken to a US customs bonded warehouse.  If this is the case, the rates that US customs provides to us, will be apply to your shipment". This is like a negative lottery[}:)]

Plus: warehouse charges. Remember that only the owner is allowed to drive his car, hence cars cannot be taken out of warehouse immediately after arrival in the US, unless we are able to arrange for 100% matching travel schedules of shipments and passengers.

And then there is this heavy burden of insurance!

We have to dig further and see if any of that can be improved.

Constant

CRS9505

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 12:04:38 »
Talking of INSURANCE - have just spoken to my broker who cannot insure me to drive my own car in the US (although I have complete coverage in most of Europe), apparently this has to be done through a US insurance broker.
   Another potential major problem possibly requiring group coverage? Is there any news from the Morgan Club?

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 14:21:56 »
Very brief reply to all the information posted here over the weekend. I was in Pebble Beach making contacts, besides getting sensory overload with all the cars and racing!

All of your work is very much appreciated and I will look at every suggestion/entry made. I would caution to post "alarming" threads, as I am sure it will all work out and in the end it will not be cost prohibitive.

RORO remains to be an option and cars are shipped below deck and not subject to Ocean spray. However my preliminary belief is that Container is the best option and so far I only have one shipper with extensive experience with specialty car shipping, paperwork etc, etc.

I did get full commitment from Jim Feldman, ACOC liaison USA, who has done every single California Mille. I met with Simon Taylor, who had his 2.6 Ace on the lawn at Pebble, I met with Hagerty insurance. Marc Dubost was at the ACOC dinner and spoke briefly with me. Jonathan Parker, who had his Ace on the lawn has made some great contacts and I overall come away from Pebble Beach with a feeling of great encouragement.

So, let me get my feet back on the ground again this week and work through my backlog of work and we will be full speed ahead on the International!

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 16:03:15 »
Also, before we all do redundant work, let me for clarity's sake post again that I do have a $4000 quote for container shipping round trip. To the west coast, all paperwork and customs clearance work included. This shipper can ship from various ports in Europe (Hamburg, Rotterdam, etc) and UK to LA, Oakland and I believe Seattle.

I know Keith has every intention of having Bex333 go back to her old stomping grounds, so it may behoove him to return ship from Seattle.

Hagerty will contact me this week about insurance and assistance with events and sponsorship.
   I had some nice conversation with Simon Taylor and I have his email, so hopefully Classic and Sports car will do a spread on the International.

In talking to most, the idea of centering around Monterey is met with great enthusiasm. We have plenty of opportunity to drive incredible roads both north and south of there. Jim Feldman will share his California Mille roadbooks, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel. Both Jim and Jonathan Parker indicated to me that the driving in Oregon is most spectacular, however the distance from Monterey maybe too much to handle during the International. As most have indicated they would like to go for 2 weeks, it would seem logical they move north after the "official" part of the international is done.

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 16:11:04 »
The shipper I dealt with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9unBxyAl6TI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fIB2R8o55k

Gus

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 20:36:48 »
Gus.

Whilst at the ACOC National Day ( Stoner Park) on Sunday 19th August, met up with many ACOC Members who enquired and discussed the Potential ACOC International in USA,  2013 or 2014, Some already have committments in 2013 so prefer 2014,  others have conflict in 2014 with other events.

You cannot please them all.  But in general the response on this side of the pond is favourable, subject to cost and hassle free transportation of our ACs.
   ( not asking a lot )

Bertie ( Brian Gilbart- Smith)  The ACOC Chairman for 25 years or so and Hon President since 2005, Also Insurance Broker for majority of
   ACOC Club members AC  insurance.

He has over the past 12 months been ACtively invloved with assisting in/with the Frazer - Nash USA tour planned for 2013,  could be worth having a few words reference group Transportation Insurance and overall costings.

We know AC owners in the UK and Mainland Europe can only insure our Cars for the USA trip via a USA Insurance Broker/Company,Impossible to get cover on this side of the pond,  hopefully a group policy can be created to cover all vehicles at a special premium with one of your contacts - Sponsors..[?]

Just a idea, I know you are already on the matter so dont want to duplicate, but a word or email with Bertie could be constructive and posibly save time and money..[;)]

Glad you made contact with Jim Feldman, Simon Taylor, Jean Marc Dubost and Johnathan Parker, all great AC Guys who have years of AC experience and can contribute to making the ACOC International in USA come to fruition..[;)]

Please keep networking and  posting developments...on the Forum and duplicted in ACtion.

Cheers for Now.

Keith..[:)]