Author Topic: 2013 International in the USA  (Read 46127 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
2013 International in the USA
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 17:06:40 »
Tom, Thanks!

relatively short hop from Arizona. I assume I can count you in on this one?!

Gus

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 19:49:50 »
Gus

Just read the Loooonnnggg email from Jeff Jones,Some great Ideas but suggest you  keep things simple, some days drive 200/300/400 miles, to get to a central base, book Hotel for a few nights and radiat from base, other times  move Hotel to Hotel night by night.

ACs  dont have extra large boot space once Julies Packed 12 pairs of shoes, colour co-ordinated day and evening outfits (for 2 or 3 weeks), leaves me with space for 2 pairs of shoes, 2 packs of throw away boxer shorts and a few shirts ....  HELP !....
   Travel light is not in the Female vocabulary.[B)]

Seriously....Without being Sexist and non PC,  The Girls dont always want to hear a V8 or Straight 6 for hours on end and  do appreciate a few more creature comforts than us  Fellas / Petrol Heads who have a different outlook.

So the odd Hotel or Country Club / Health Club would be appreciated.[;)] if some of the group prefer to have a day out of the
   Ace / Cobra / AC PVT etc etc.

Just a Idea ..... A case of Balance with Great places of interest with good food / wine  and scenery plus great cosmopolitan company and New Scenery.

Cheers

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

jrlucke

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 20:09:51 »
The Sonoma Mission Inn sounds like Keith's home base. Centrally located in the Wine Country with easy access to the North Coast, San Francisco, Sears Point (and shops located there), ect.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 20:17:26 »
My thoughts exactly...

The going joke among my friends is you pack light: all the ladies need is two thongs and a tooth brush...[:D][:D]

I know, not PC...

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 20:36:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by jrlucke

The Sonoma Mission Inn sounds like Keith's home base. Centrally located in the Wine Country with easy access to the North Coast, San Francisco, Sears Point (and shops located there), ect.

John.

I take it You and some (Old)  Racing Buddies are definitely up for the ACOC International USA,  Being ....  Home turf !![:)]

Hopefully we get to meet up and put Faces to Names that have been on numerous emails over the years..[;)]

Would be great opportunity to see some of the circuits ( assuming some still exist..[?]) that James Parsons once exercised BEX333 on, from Late 1957 to December 1964.e.g.  Westwood,  Shelton  etc etc.

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 22:48:35 »
Keith,

Yes, I’m excited about the prospects of an ACOC International possibly running through my backyard (Sonoma County). I might not be able to justify running the whole event, and I’d have to have a running car (minor details)…but I’d certainly plan on catching up with the group along the way to meet up with fellow AC owners from both sides of the pond. A track day at Sonoma Raceway would be grand![:D]

If all goes well, It sounds like you would plan on shipping your car back from Seattle or Vancouver…so that you can reunite it with its old stomping grounds.[;)]

John

CRS9505

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 00:10:31 »
Gus,
   Found this on the the US EPA site - pretty clear so should be no problem [:)]

2.2.5 Temporary Vehicle Imports for Nonresidents

Motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment for personal use may be imported for up to one year.
   The vehicle must be imported in connection with your arrival, and it must be owned by you or on order before you depart from abroad. Only individual nonresidents may import a vehicle through a nonresident exemption. There is no Customs bond required, however, EPA requires that written approval must be obtained prior to importation.
   Requirements:

œ Importer must file with U. S. Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "O;" and attach the EPA letter of exemption.
   œ Importer should keep a copy of the EPA approval letter for future proof of EPA exclusion.
   Restrictions:
   œ Importer must be a nonresident;
   œ Vehicle may not be sold or otherwise transferred to another party in the U.S.;
   œ Vehicle must be used primarily for personal use by the importer while in the U.S.;
   œ Use of this exemption is prohibited if the vehicle is to be used primarily to conduct business, or for principle use by persons other than the importer (or spouse of the importer); and
   œ Vehicle must be exported after one year, or upon the nonresident departing the U.S.,
   whichever comes first.
   Section 2: Other Import-Related Requirements and Information Page 33

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 00:57:45 »
I have this in front of one of the shippers. I believe they are well versed in this and all this will be taken care of by the shippers, so not to worry owners who want to partake.

I got a link From Barrie Bird to a Roll on Roll off shipper with some of the best prices. I contacted them and am awaiting their reply. It all depends if they can assist with all the custom's clearance and paperwork as well and if they can pick up at multiple ports and drop off at the west coast...

Lots to consider.

Meanwhile suggestions keep pouring into my email inbox and ideas about the event are taking shape.

Keep checking!

Gus

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 14:18:56 »
Gus
   You may not be aware that the Frazer Nash owners are planning an A USA Bash to New England in 2013, they do quite a number of the overseas trips so you might be able to get some advice from them in respect to proceedures & organisation.

Robin

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 14:20:01 »
Thanks Robin,

Would you have an email to someone?

Gus

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 15:41:08 »
The chap I store may car with is the person organising the transportation for the F-N club. Interestingly the F-N boys will be arranging for a club member to be present for the loading and unloading. I think they will be using Roll-on/roll-off vessels for the shipping, the same system and vessels used by BMW, Merc and Mclaren etc for delivering new cars. The owner is David Smith and his website is http://www.autofreight.co.uk/

I have mentioned the topic to him a couple of weeks ago if you want to make direct contact or I’m happy to put you in touch.
   John.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 16:15:28 »
yes I would. I am not bought into anyone at this point. The main issue we have is that we have owners from all over the continent. So arranging shipping from multiple ports is an advantage.

RoRo appears to be the easiest. It may not be the most cost effective and I feel that experience in dealing with customs and having all the paperwork done and ready would be very helpful. You don't want to arrive and get ready to take off, only to find out something was not done correctly and you're held up for a few days....

I'm awaiting a reply from the company Barrie forwarded to me as well.
   I also asked for a better price from Rinkens.

Gus

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 17:23:05 »
Gus
   Paul Baker is the person who has made a survey of the trip visiting New England a short time ago, his contact details are
    ' paul_baker@ntlworld.com ' i am sure he will assist with information.
   Incedentally Paul has one of my engines complete apart from Head & Cam Cover, but he is fitting my Competition Camshaft & Hi Lift Rockers, so expect him to be very fast in his F.N.
   Robin

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 02:39:08 »
Hi Gus,

This all sounds very exciting!

Looks like a company called AutoShippers arrange RoRo services between UK (Southampton or Bristol) and California (LA or Seattle). This service is, apparently, both widely used by car manufacturers and the cheapest service. It seems one can also drive ones own car to the port for loading -  much like we do to get from UK to mainland Europe.

Their link is:
   www.autoshippers.co.uk/Ro-Ro%20Ports.htm

Looks like there is some good general advice there too. Might be worth a try.

Please note too that people require documentation to get into USA. Requirements are heavily dependent upon ones nationality and status etc etc. For example, if ones country is part of the USA visa waiver programme the minimum requirement is a machine-readable passport with at least 6-months validity remaining, AND an electronic travel authorisation called an ESTA. Without BOTH one won't be allowed to board the aeroplane!
   British Citizens with valid passports and eligable for a visa waiver can usually obtain ESTAs on line in minutes for US$10. per person and they are valid for 2 years. All you need is your passport number and credit card!

The following link worked for us:
   https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html

This link is direct to the US Government ESTA application site. There is no need to use an agent or other intermediary!

Keep up the good work!

Best wishes

John

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 09:13:15 »
Hello Gus,

RORO shipment means cars roll onto (into) and off the ship like we do here boarding a ferry. Hence cars travel unprotected. This method is used by car manufacturers however they solidly protect their cars before the shipment, by means of special wax applied, to protect from the salty atmosphere while on the ocean. Upon unloading, cars need be devaxed by high pressure water spray. This is a rather standard job and may work well on sedans or coupés, but I can't see this happen easily on an open top car.
   Containerized shipment is more expensive but has the advantage that cars travel in closed containers and are hence protected from the salty atmosphere. I have been investigating with a Dutch company specialized in car transport from/to US/Canada.
   Their quote for Rotterdam to LA (one way) in container shipment is 895 € / 1,098 $ (4 cars per container) or 1175 € / 1,440 $ (2 cars per container. Containers are specially designed for the purpose. Insurance (on top) is 2% of declared value for all risk with a 1,000 € deductible. This is quite expensive insurance. I need to get some more clarification on the rate for roundtrip and on the services included at port of destination.
   Nonresident exemption for temporary import EPA needs to be granted individually per car to the owner beforehand through the EPA.
   Will keep you posted.
   Constant