Author Topic: AK 1073  (Read 27429 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2012, 18:38:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Hobo: @ nikbj68: Tell me How to create from the copied link of a photo a real photo - to be seen in this forum
Posting photos, 5th post down. We look forward to lots of photos!

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2012, 00:43:07 »
here is AKL1417 in sideview; longest pipes; however side view like this brings in an effect of viewing angle!
   actually they are extending to the edge of the most remote part of the bumper (centre); car has flat underboot tank, so exhaust pipes sit  perfectly aligned with the tail lights;
   end of the pipe is cut at 90° angle

Hobo

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2012, 09:59:50 »
@ MkIVLux:
   Did you every had any problems with clearance between tail pipe and street while loading the car on a trailer?

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2012, 12:22:53 »
indeed, yes, that is a bit bordeline, especiall when as on this photo, the car's suspension was adjusted low.
   Also, my car sits on 16 inch tires (255/50 ZR 16 Michelin Pilot Sport), giving less ground clearance than with 15 inch rims and appropriate /60 or /70 tires. The end of the pipe is exactly 106.5 cms from the centre of the rear wheel nut, and ground clearance of the end of the pipe is 20 cms (now after I have raised the suspension for better overall ground clearance).

Hobo

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2012, 18:30:29 »
Many Thanks, very useful information...I will take these into account for converting to underfloor exhaust system next week.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2012, 12:16:25 »
Hi Hobo,
   welcome to the club and to MkIV ownership. Below are a few photos which may help you with your exhaust questions - John.

nikbj68

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2012, 12:39:51 »
Very good of John to pop out to the garage & take a few quick snaps, eh?! [;)]

SwissAKL

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2012, 22:25:10 »
Dear Martin, I sent you an email I hope you'd be able to answer it. I have a German market car that appears to have the stock exhaust line (although differing from German type approval/ homologation TüV/file) I can send you some picture of it. I may also have to correct my whole exhaust line, so interested in any progress on your side too !

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2012, 22:40:21 »
7ACO has got a vertical tank, hence has better clearance under the boot to fit pipes closer to the body than we have with AKL cars featuring under boot horizontal tanks

Hobo

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2012, 07:48:05 »
@ SwissAKL:
   Congratulations to this nice car.
   I will check the Email, however no answer before evening (I'm still busy with AK1073)

Cheers
   Martin

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2012, 14:40:09 »
Ho Ho Martin,

back from my long vacation, what do I have to read? You bought a MK IV? What's next? An Aceca or an Ace [:D]

My gratulations?

Peter

P.S. Did you get your Jag Diff back?

Hobo

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2012, 11:56:08 »
Dear all!!
   It’s done.
   Sidepipes demounted and underfloor exhaust system installed.
   Many thanks for all the photos and information I got, all this very useful informations input have been used to create this wonderful installation.
   The cut-outs for the sidepipes are still open, this work will be done during the winter period.

The system consists of:
   •   Single headers
   •   slip into a 4in1 piece (which will ease the installation of the headers of a smaller engine one day)
   •   the 4in1 piece is connected to a 70mm single tube
   •   on each side O2-Sensor can be installed for carburettor-testing/adjustment or later EFI
   •   the underfloor is really filled up with two dampers as long as possible to achieve max. noise reduction
   •   the pipe through the wheel house and tail pipe are 60 mm diameter.
   •   even the car has a fuel tank under the trunk,  the tail pipes could aligned as close to the body as possible
   •   as length of the tail pipes I choosed a solution in the middle not too long but not too short.

I’m personally very satisfied about the whole installation.

But the best is: I could reduce the loudness significantly.
   With idle loudness is now down from 94 dB(A) to 74 dB(A) !!
   (Remember 10 dB(A) reduction means half the loudness)
   With 3000 rpm reduction is from 104 dB(A) down to 90 dB(A).

Sitting in the cockpit you even can listen to the sound if the carburettor starts sucking the air into the engine, you really hear the engine not the exhaust.
   This is the most quiet Cobra I had in my life – I will like it.
   Don’t worry, there still enough sound to generate attention.