Author Topic: AK 1073  (Read 27417 times)

Hobo

• View Profile
AK 1073
« on: July 31, 2012, 10:50:33 »
Dear all,

let me introduce first:
   I’m 55 years old, living in Germany and a Cobra enthusiast for decades.
   I went all the years along with different replicas.
   Until now I was reader (reader-only) of the ACOC-forum for month and I got many useful information from. (Congratulation to this qualified forum and the experienced members) and with help of Bryan I can communicate via the forum from now on :-)).

Beginning this year I decided to go for a more original Cobra.
   I believe a MK IV is the best for me, as this reflects the compromise between budget and historical bloodline back to the original best for me.
   (Yes I’m aware of the discussion what is an original and not  – I will do it my way - anyway :-))  ) .
   I let pass some opportunities to buy a Mk IV in the last month to learn more about the market and now dedected  in my neighbourhood a car for sale, however the car is confusing me a little bit.

By registration it is AK 1073, VIN SA9AK3023HA017073.
   It should be a pure Mk IV, however it has some details of a  lightweight-version respectively it is heavy modified in the style of an 427 S/C car.
   AK 1073 is - to my knowledge - NOT described in the SAAC registry.

In detail:
   The car is LHD (and I believe just from the beginning, as footboxes have unequal length and drivers side (left) is deeper than passenger side)
   The car is equipped with stainless steel sidepipes, single rollbar and 15”(!!)-Halibrand-style wheels (knock off) and bucket seats without any head rest.
   The dash is 427-style equipped with Smith Instruments (Classic range, chrome bezel).
   On the right rear fender you can find a recessed (!!) build in big Le Man fuel cap.
   The fuel tank is build in flat under the luggage compartment.
   The doors have the typical Lightweight equipment with MGTF door latch and no strengthening bar through the door (!!)
   It has a heater build in – however I couldn’t see any knobs to control the heater (inside the glove box ???)
   The footboxes (on the motor compartment side) are covered completely with a second layer of aluminium (I believe some insulation in between) and unfortunately no signs, chassis plate, identification plates or whatsoever are to be seen.
   The VIN-No is stamped on the frame (to be seen in the motor compartment)  and the AK-No is also to be seen at the top of the left front suspension.

By registration it is a car from 1987 – therefore it should NOT be a “Lightweight”……however who put such a huge effort into a conversion of the fuel cap (recessed, relocation of the fuel inlet to the tank) and the doors only to get an 427 S/C style car??

Due to my confusion I would like to ask you whether you know anything about AK 1073 – any information is welcome inter alia what has been the original configuration.

Many Thanks.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:27:23 »
If you were to join the club you would have access to the Mkiv registry comments which might explain what you see with the car. Can join by paypal.

http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/ac_membership.asp

Alternately ask the registrar.

Graham

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:19:22 »
Welcome Speedy, sorry Hobo,[;)]

Glückwunsch zum neuen Auto, you received a personal mail (2) via the forum.

Uwe
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

AK1161

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 19:51:52 »
Dear Hobo,
   Please contact me on my e-mail address as I may be able to help you.
   luke@stonesetltd.com

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 22:12:00 »
The Word Registry entry is: AK 1073. Completed '85; LHD. Blue exterior. Shipped to M. Starke (GER). Present owner not known.

Michael Starke in Münster, Germany was in the 80s and early 90s a well known Cobra dealer with a  workshop where he fabricated also aluminum bodys for RAM chassis with stainless sidepipes.

So he was able to convert a car in the way you described it

The workshop burned down and this was more or less the end of Starke's active cobra business. A burned down MK IV chassis out of this desaster was sold by Starke and is still offered today for 20 k € from Ralf Gorei.

Untill today Starke is a oldtimer dealer and may help You with details.

Hobo

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 22:42:18 »
Dear Westcott, thx for your PM and your information out of the World Registry.
   Exactly this things drive me crazy.
   Looking to the VIN SA9AK3023HA017073 the "H" means - to my knowledge - YEAR 1987 (date of completion) which is in line with the sellers information and the German documents.
   First ownership in Germany makes also sense, as I have seen 3 other German owners in the title(including the present owner - not me).
   I will ask the present owner to sent me a copy of the title to check whether Mr.Starke is in or not.
   Seems to be that the car has been converted into a "Lightweight"-version (by AutoKraft?? ) in 1995(?)

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 23:54:21 »
Hello Hobo,
   What is the configuration of the bumper suspension? Each side and each end, dual small diameter rods or large telescopic damper units?
   Is it short or long nosed?
   Is the single roll bar proper MkIV type?

"however who put such a huge effort into a conversion of the fuel cap (recessed, relocation of the fuel inlet to the tank) and the doors only to get an 427 S/C style car??"-- car might have been crashed before??

Is there any pictures of the car as offered?

REV

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 00:16:51 »
MKIV Lux,

before you scare him to death..... Not all cars have been crashed!

Hobo,

Many people put far more time, effort and money into these cars than you'd expect. It's certainly not unusual for people to change the configuration of there car to what they like and feel suits the car. Dashes and doors are normal stuff.

If the stampings say AK and not AKL you can be pretty sure it's not a lightweight. Quick signs are leather edging around the cockpit and bumpers on dampers as opposed to solid bars. Lightweights have neither.

All the rest will be down to the cars configuration when it was ordered, history and previous owners quirks.

Relax, get the registry details, talk to people who've seen the car before and previous owners and then enjoy.

Welcome to a wonderful world.

:-)

Hobo

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 07:10:47 »
Good morning MkIV Lux,
   good morning REV,

"scare me to death" ....no! Still far away from this.

To make it more clear, I have an option on the car for next 10 days, car is not in my hands.
   I want to use the time meanwhile to check whether all and everything is bullet proof.
   If it turns out that something is wrong when car and money changed hands it will be harder to settle solutions. If the car is wrong - I will go for another offer.

Back to details:
   There are no leather edging around the cockpit and bumpers on solid bars (no dampers).

If the first “owner” has been a dealer and has used the car as a demo-car, than this could explain the difference between year of first registration (as to official title 1987) and year of completion (1985).

Photos, yes in my hands on paper, but I have you scan them first and upload them - not today due to time constrains.
   (Can someone explain step by step how to upload a photo in this forum and what is the limit for the size?)

Question of short or long nose and proper single roll bar MkIV type:
   Could someone tell me how to see the differences on a first sight?

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 08:00:14 »
You need to have a Photo Bucket account to post pictures here.

302EFI

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 10:15:26 »
Hello Martin,
   Welcome to this Forum! I sent you an E-Mail.
   Best wishes,
   Jürgen

nikbj68

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 11:36:26 »
Hi Martin & welcome. I did a little tutorial on posting photos HERE, 5th post down. Good luck, hope the Cobra is all you hope it to be.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 23:38:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by REV
   .... Quick signs are leather edging around the cockpit and bumpers on dampers as opposed to solid bars. Lightweights have neither.

hello Rev,
   Gramatically spoken, your statement is not clear.
   I guess you really meant: lightweights have neither leather edging around the cockpit nor bumpers on dampers.
   On each side, Lightweights have two superposed solid bars holding the bumper (or the quick jack brackets).

REV

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 00:48:03 »
Grammatically written, you mean!

I'm fairly sure we all knew what I meant, but hey ho!

I bow to superior grammar-logical fallacies.

I was just trying to help.

:-)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AK 1073
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 01:50:16 »
Gotta love it when a Luxembourger is correcting a Brit on proper English!

Although, if I'd get a buck for every time I'm asked how to spell a word in English by a native...

Gus