Author Topic: 15" wire wheel conversion  (Read 3857 times)

Bernie

• View Profile
15" wire wheel conversion
« on: July 29, 2012, 17:50:43 »
My 16" wheels are going out for restoration and I'm looking to convert to 15" in the meantime. Any recommendations on 15" wheel suppliers,and tire size that will perform satisfactorily? BEX 494 has disc front/ Alfin drum rears........Thanks, Bernie

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 20:02:53 »
Motor Wheel Services UK probably ship to you,  ' www.mwsint.com ' 44 1753 549 360 mail  ' info@mwsint.com '

Look on their web site for recommended wheels & tires!

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 20:50:09 »
Bernie, In addition to MWS you can also try Dayton Wire Wheels.

http://www.daytonwirewheels.com/

However, the MWS web site is full of very good information so it is worth checking out.

Jay

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 13:37:28 »
I have Daytons. They are excellent quality and I use Vredestein Tires.

Gus

Norman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 21:44:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie

My 16" wheels are going out for restoration and I'm looking to convert to 15" in the meantime. Any recommendations on 15" wheel suppliers,and tire size that will perform satisfactorily? BEX 494 has disc front/ Alfin drum rears........Thanks, Bernie

Norman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 21:53:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie

Your wheel and brake spec is the same as mine (RSX 5006). I use 185 70 x 15 Avon ZZ tyres, as recommended by various racers of Big Healeys. The come in standard and soft grades and I have found standard fine for road use. Previously I had 185 x 15 Vredesteins and they were hopeless, after 12,000 miles there was not the slightest sign of wear, but then neither was there any grip, especially in cold weather or in the wet, when I considered them downright dangerous. The 70 section of the Avons lowers the gearing a bit and reduces ground clearance, neither of which is advantageous, but they are a small price to pay for staying on the road.
   If you fancy getting hold of these tyres, you may struggle, last time I looked Avon weren't listing them in their catalogue as they only make small batches to order. Try Denis Welch motorsport first: http://www.bighealey.co.uk/