Author Topic: Do AC still make aluminium bodied cars?  (Read 14020 times)

Chafford

• View Profile
Do AC still make aluminium bodied cars?
« on: February 04, 2007, 18:08:20 »
According to the AC Cars website, aluminium bodied cars are still made to special order to the original specification from the original tooling.

So where are these cars being made? Frimley? Malta? Brooklands Motor Company?

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 21:19:27 »
In their dreams! AC has no facilty or staff qualified to make alloy bodies. They would have to "sublet" the work. Perhaps they could rebadge a Kirkham!

There are people who have contracted for replacement bodies/panels who are still waiting for delivery from orders placed in the Frimley era.

Rick

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 21:38:27 »
I seem to recall a few months ago that AC placed an advertisement for an aluminium car they were completing. Never found out where it was being built.

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 22:10:10 »
I live about 10mins from the frimley building, got cleared out long time ago. I know a few of the AC guys, nothing is done in the UK at the moment. If they have Alu bodies, either Kirkham or someone else is doing them. I believe they have some of the original jigs, etc. in Malta.

John.

keithjecks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 22:21:55 »
What is a Kirkham? Is that the car that Gerry Hawkridge gets made up in an aerospace factory in Poland, or are they badged Hawk? I saw one of Gerry's cars a while ago being built. I must say that the quality of the aluminium was very impressive

Keith

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 22:34:54 »
Bodies, chassis and suspensions made at Kirkham's former MIG factory in Poland, cars completed by Hawk who are the European agents for Kirkham.

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/mfg/index.html

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 08:08:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mark IV
   In their dreams! AC has no facilty or staff qualified to make alloy bodies. They would have to "sublet" the work. Perhaps they could rebadge a Kirkham!

There are people who have contracted for replacement bodies/panels who are still waiting for delivery from orders placed in the Frimley era.
   Rick

I wonder if now that AC have appointed (according to the "AC Cars Manufacturing Ltd" thread)   The Brooklands Motor Company as their official service/repair agents in the UK whether the above orders might be fulfilled?
   I also believe that Brooklands employ several ex-AC craftsmen, so any parts or repairs from them have a 'certified bloodline'![8D]

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 10:07:35 »
'Certified' being the operative word (just a joke Steve - it's a joke.......aarrgghhh)  keep bending that aluminium - or is it now called aluminum??

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 12:06:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mark IV

There are people who have contracted (WITH DEPOSITS!!!!) for replacement bodies/panels who are still waiting for delivery from orders placed in the Frimley era.

Rick

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 12:49:27 »
quote:
I wonder if now that AC have appointed (according to the "AC Cars Manufacturing Ltd" thread)   The Brooklands Motor Company as their official service/repair agents in the UK whether the above orders might be fulfilled?
   I also believe that Brooklands employ several ex-AC craftsmen, so any parts or repairs from them have a 'certified bloodline'![8D]

There's a thought. Aluminium continuation cars produced by the Brooklands Motor Company under licence from AC Cars. The cars would be known as Brooklands ACs! AC would grant Brooklands a 25 year license to use the AC trademark and the chassis numbers would be prefixed by BL! [:)][:)]

Far-fetched? I'm sure it could be done! [;)]

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 13:38:21 »
Why bother to say 'far-fetched'? You should read the postings on Club Cobra more closely, especially those from Amy Boylan. (You know, Chief Executive, Shelby Automotive, or whatever it is today)

I don't think its a state secret to point out that AC Frimley (and 'AC Guildford') was kept afloat by the good services of dear old Basher of Brooklands, in the metal bending dept., nor that Hawk Cars came to the rescue by supplying/trading parts. Both companies hung out to dry of course, but that's not for here, but I might go so far as to suggest....arrgghhh....

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 14:02:37 »
That's the word on this side of the pond. Aluminum (that's also for this side of the pond) bodies were supplied, but not paid for is what I heard in the grapevine here. I wonder if David Kirkham was approached for production of Shelby's but after this experience and thus their short engagement, decided he was better off alone.

Gus

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 15:51:23 »
Kirkham supplied circa 100 bodies to Shelby before the AC/Lubinsky deal was done.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 18:43:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate

Why bother to say 'far-fetched'? You should read the postings on Club Cobra more closely, especially those from Amy Boylan. (You know, Chief Executive, Shelby Automotive, or whatever it is today)

I don't think its a state secret to point out that AC Frimley (and 'AC Guildford') was kept afloat by the good services of dear old Basher of Brooklands, in the metal bending dept., nor that Hawk Cars came to the rescue by supplying/trading parts. Both companies hung out to dry of course, but that's not for here, but I might go so far as to suggest....arrgghhh....

Agreed. But strange that Brooklands are the official service and repair agents for AC.

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 10:13:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by hawk289

I live about 10mins from the frimley building, got cleared out long time ago. I know a few of the AC guys, nothing is done in the UK at the moment. If they have Alu bodies, either Kirkham or someone else is doing them. I believe they have some of the original jigs, etc. in Malta.

John.

John ,you say you are 10 mins from the old AC factory in Frimley,so am I were abouts are you ?