Author Topic: Ace/Bristol for sale in USA  (Read 12975 times)

Jim A

• View Profile
Ace/Bristol for sale in USA
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 23:20:11 »
BEX 1090 had been sadly treated as well

http://www.acaceca.de.tl/BEX-1090.htm

I wonder if the grill misalignment came from the damage shown there.
   $345,000 seems like a lot of money for this car.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 23:57:24 »
the nose on my Aceca is also flat, not like Peter's car. It seems that the AC bristol rakes back and is not correct, but is being hand built cars, I doubt that they all are exactly the same...

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 17:55:33 »
Here is a link to another post I had started a few weeks ago about some of the Ace's and Cobras at Fantasy Junction.  The first photo is of the blue LHD Ace in question which has a close up of the front end

http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2513

Photobucket seems to have changed their format so was unsure how to post this particular photo, so pasted in the link above instead.

Jim A

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 19:18:51 »
It is hard to be sure if the defect that seems so obvious in the brochure photos shows on this one.
   I guess you are going to have to force yourself to visit FJ again and get an eyeball confirmation or not.
   I was there years ago.  It was a little slick, but maybe that just came from being unable to approach the kind of money they deal in.

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 02:33:56 »
Such a hardship going there (not!) [:D]

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 16:23:14 »
I see what you mean about the upright nose. It doesn't look right at all, but nothing a few thousand wouldn't sort out. Looking at the Fantasy Junction photos it appears to have another major problem. Lack of oil dripping from the engine, gearbox and diff! Perhaps it has been stored dry, but I have never seen such an oil free Ace underside!

jrlucke

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 20:02:16 »
If you look at other cars they've sold (BEX307, 378, 450) with similar photos, BEX1090 appears to have the upper lip of the nose more laid back. The closeups of the front headlight area seem to show a lengthening distance for the grill opening bottom to top for the 3 sold cars vs. BEX1090.

It also shows in the side profile as the line from the hood to grill drops more rapidly much more like the Ferrari 166.

As to the cleanliness, I believe this car has been on and off the market for a couple years and probably has very few miles since restoration.

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 07:25:33 »
An other one, not so far away.

http://home.mobile.de/OAKFIELDSHOOK#des_168063452
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

302EFI

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 08:10:37 »
It's a replica though. Anyway, a nice car.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 13:36:25 »
wow, quite the drop in asking price from last year. If I recall correctly the asking price then was 147K UK pounds.... This is probably more on par with reality.

Gus

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 13:55:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

wow, quite the drop in asking price from last year. If I recall correctly the asking price then was 147K UK pounds.... This is probably more on par with reality. Gus
...As discussed HERE, from 2010.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 16:34:16 »
Thanks Nik!
   I was off by 2 grand. Still, at the current asking price you would not be able to do this for less.

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 17:40:17 »
Found this video of BEX 1090 on YouTube when it was for sale at another dealer. Lots of good information and shots of the frontal area that seems in question.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=E13JzdbGr8k

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 16:10:44 »
Here is a photo of BEX 1090 that I took a few months ago posted on the forum in another topic.  When I am over toward the dealer I can go in and get more detailed pictures if anyone is interested.

Jim A

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 18:34:22 »
I went back to the original FJ brochure photos linked in the beginning of this post.
   All the pics show the raked-backed grill. Looking at the closeups (http://www.fantasyjunction.com/img/cars/large/64157.jpg and http://www.fantasyjunction.com/img/cars/large/64160.jpg) of both sides of the grill, one can see what the bodyman did.  The side of the grill opening should taper from top to narrower at the bottom; in this car they are the same, causing the grill and grill opening to be vertical.
   I don't think that this variation is in the realm of being "hand made."