Author Topic: A 427 with an interesting history!  (Read 17635 times)

Chafford

• View Profile
A 427 with an interesting history!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 19:31:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by CRS9505

Come on guys lighten up, [:)] didn't it look good in the mud with the rest of us.......and as for value how much was that Aston - £1.27M for a new car... also in the mud with the rest of us!
   If you have that sort of money to spend on a car then you should be smart enough to establish for yourself whether the pedigree satisfies your own needs and standards. After all you are going to own it and drive it and at the end of the day you may never go to an AC meeting where the tutting finger of damnation will be pointed. After all were there not 2 fibreglass replicas on the Club pitch at Donnington? [:0]

I somehow doubt that there would be much tutting if this turned up at an ACOC meeting. More likely, polite requests for a ride!

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 13:05:29 »
This car is auctioned today at Coys... Let's see what it  will make !

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 13:53:14 »
BREAKING NEWS!

Email from Coys today proclaims that the Cobra is selling with NO RESERVE!

Breaking news from Coys

1966 AC Shelby Cobra - Now selling at No Reserve!

Coys are pleased to announce that a 1966 AC Shelby Cobra will now be selling at No Reserve later today at the Autosport International show at the NEC in Birmingham.

Featured on the front cover of Classic & Sportscar magazine in September 2012, this Cobra is beautifully presented in Rangoon Red paintwork with black leather upholstery and hood and tan tonneau and sidescreens, and the car still displays a delightful patina. The 427ci big block engine has been rebuilt by Knight Racing Services and is in fine fettle, starting easily and performing strongly accompanied by an outrageous, spine-tingling soundtrack from the side exiting exhausts.

As well as the Cobra, the Autosport auction also features some 50 lots of Grand Prix, Competition, Touring and Rally cars, as well as a large selection of associated collectibles.

The sale begins at 12:30 with the collectors items, with the motor cars following on at 3PM. For more information or to arrange to bid over the telephone, please contact Coys on 0208 614 7888, or email auctions@coys.co.uk.

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 16:44:18 »
The register classifies this car as a Replica constructed in 1979:
   Built by Lynn Park, using some parts that were discarded when CSX 3272 was rebuilt. This car was given the chassis number CSX 3140 in 1979, but renumbered 3272 in 2005.
   [Lynn Park, Rod Leach]
   (The original 3272 exists, in the USA)

SJ351

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 21:38:54 »
It is at least refreshing perhaps that the facts are fully available for the individual to guage himself what this car represents. Personally, I would rather own this car, that has original AC and Shelby DNA that the clone built by Brian Angliss, which to me is more the replica. 'Caveat Emptor' as they say.

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 00:39:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by SJ351

It is at least refreshing perhaps that the facts are fully available for the individual to guage himself what this car represents. Personally, I would rather own this car, that has original AC and Shelby DNA that the clone built by Brian Angliss, which to me is more the replica. 'Caveat Emptor' as they say.

Why would a buyer willingly purchase any Cobra with skeletons in the closet? I know, the answer will be "But it was a bargain". Bad or questionable history will not heal, it will be attached to the vehicle forever. Why live with a cloud surrounding your car. Not to mention the possibility of legal issues that some cars can spawn.

Just my opinion, now back to regular programming [:o)]

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 13:48:37 »
Sold for £185k +premium yesterday. Sluggish bidding & took a while to get going.

SJ351

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 00:37:59 »
Not a bad deal for a running/driving car with the original and undisputed AC built Shelby body-chassis unit. It would be nice to own this car and the clone together (which I suspect holds the original engine/transmission/running gear. Put the VIN plate back on the body-chassis unit and it would become the 'official' original car again. Get Brian Anliss to sign dash board of the clone he built then sell it for what it is - job done. Fantasy? I happened to a D-type Jaguar.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 00:43:54 »
Quote: "We are inviting offers around £425,000 for this epic 60's sports car."

Inviting, but apparently not getting.

A-Snake, I could live with the skeletons, bad or questionable history and clouds at that price, although possible legal issues might put me off a bit(There don`t appear to be any disputes over this car now, with it being well known to ACOC & SAAC)!
   I would say that all issues allowed for, someone has bagged a bargain.

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 00:47:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by SJ351

Put the VIN plate back on the body-chassis unit and it would become the 'official' original car again.

Isn't that called VIN tampering in the USA?[:p]

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 01:02:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Quote: "We are inviting offers around £425,000 for this epic 60's sports car."

Inviting, but apparently not getting.

A-Snake, I could live with the skeletons, bad or questionable history and clouds at that price, although possible legal issues might put me off a bit(There don`t appear to be any disputes over this car now, with it being well known to ACOC & SAAC)!
   I would say that all issues allowed for, someone has bagged a bargain.

Nik,
   The price paid is more than twice the price of a new aluminum Shelby CSX car without any clouds. [;)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 08:20:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by A-Snake: Nik, The price paid is more than twice the price of a new aluminum Shelby CSX car without any clouds. [;)]

Yup, and around a third more than a MkIV lightweight. [:D]
   All things are relative, I was simply comparing sale price to pre-sale estimate! Pays yer money, takes yer choice and all that.
   It IS a damned fine looking car though, and I`d be happy to give it garage space. [^]

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 09:37:04 »
A-Snake,

It's VIN tampering in the USA and unlawful in the UK. The unlawful is principally achieved by either false declaration or ignorant non-declaration of the 'facts', giving this car firstly VIN CSX3140 and secondly, many years later, VIN CSX3272.

Questionable registration will always be a factor in a car's market value and can preclude its sale in certain jurisdictions. Although often described as 'a bargain' these words are rarely used by the buyer once he becomes a seller.

RS

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 23:00:10 »
Did this car not get sold at Auction a while back ?

Now advertised a again.

http://www.duncanhamilton.com/cars-for-sale/1966-shelby-cobra-427/

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 00:13:48 »
Yes at Autosport show auction (coys) in Jan 2013 (see page one of thread)

I recall it was "no reserve" and was there & it sold, however Coys results don't show it.

http://www.coys.co.uk/past-auctions.php?auctionID=28

Graham