Author Topic: Question Regarding Tires  (Read 6613 times)

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Question Regarding Tires
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 17:29:10 »
If you mean the small mufflers/silencers up in the wheel arch they can be removed and replaced with pipework. They are quite restrictive and make little difference to the sound or volume. I had them removed some time ago and when fitting the Avons and 15 inch combo one of the tyres still rubbed the exhaust when cornering. But there are enough joints in the system to “tweak” the exhaust pipework enough to clear the wheels.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Question Regarding Tires
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 17:33:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by DGoose

Hi John,

Having witnessed a number of your "controlled" hill starts at Brooklands I would suggest that 4k miles is very good [:)]

Hi David,
   Well I did get a bit of a talking to at my monthly review when the Rev-Limiter noticed two new rear tyres and two new half-shafts in the same month[;)]
   She wouldn’t believe me at first that it was just coincidence. [:)]
   John.

BBK

• View Profile
Question Regarding Tires
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 17:35:54 »
Yes, it is the mufflers in the wheel arch area  Thanks for the tip.

Rob

quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra

If you mean the small mufflers/silencers up in the wheel arch they can be removed and replaced with pipework. They are quite restrictive and make little difference to the sound or volume. I had them removed some time ago and when fitting the Avons and 15 inch combo one of the tyres still rubbed the exhaust when cornering. But there are enough joints in the system to “tweak” the exhaust pipework enough to clear the wheels.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Question Regarding Tires
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 10:08:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

.....I usually would get about 4K miles on the Good Year rears. ......

Mileage and grip is what ultimately makes the value of a tyre...
   I have put 12 K miles ond the Michelins already and they are still about 2/3 of the useable thread!