Author Topic: Brooklands Double Twelve Photos  (Read 10131 times)

Chafford

• View Profile
Brooklands Double Twelve Photos
« on: June 16, 2012, 20:08:37 »
Plenty on ACs to be seen at AC Heritage:

378 GT Zagato:

Cobra 289 (COB 6036):

Cobra CRS:

Cobra Continuation (COX 2615):

Cobra FIA Continuation (CSX 7503):

Superblower (ACSB 7020):

Latest AC Mk11 Classic Aluminium:

MkIV undergoing restoration:

Cobras:

Aces:

Frua:

Not many ACs elsewhere but this MkIV wasn't bad![;)]

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 23:32:52 »
The ACOC stand was somewhat hidden today behind Concorde and a large Lotus F1 transporter.  We will be closer to the action tomorrow near the banking where the driving tests are being held.  Today there was a racing Ace, a Brooklands Ace, a Greyhound, a 428 Frau, a MkIV and a Superblower.  Should be 7 or so cars there tomorrow.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:28:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by SB7019

The ACOC stand was somewhat hidden today behind Concorde and a large Lotus F1 transporter.  We will be closer to the action tomorrow near the banking where the driving tests are being held.  Today there was a racing Ace, a Brooklands Ace, a Greyhound, a 428 Frau, a MkIV and a Superblower.  Should be 7 or so cars there tomorrow.

Pity I missed it. [:(]

However an enjoyable show overall with some very interesting cars:

1933 Napier Railton 24 litre W12 502hp Max speed 168mph - great engine   note!

SS100 Jaguar

Bentley 3.5 litre

300SL Gullwing

Other photos from the event:

Old Crock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 23:26:09 »
There’s a couple of strange cars in your photos there Chafford, and neither original.

An SS100 with cycle wings and external exhausts (I wonder why? Does the owner want it to be an Invicta?) Also, what looks like a Derby Bentley with a replica body seemingly out to copy that of Woolf Barnato’s Bentley of about 1930. Still, I suppose if Cobras are readily copied, some would say why not a famous Bentley….

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 00:12:48 »
Young Murray and his friend Sam took our Ace Bristol on Saturday, and I took the Red 428 Frua. It was a shame we didn't meet Chafford as I would like to have said hello. I had a long chat with Steve Gray at the top of the Test Hill, and was impressed with the new 378 GT Zagato. I really think they need a better name which I can remember. Perana comes to mind easily, but I find 378 GT is quite hard to remember. Top memories of the day were the sight of John and Dee Norris leaving two black lines of rubber up half of the Test Hill, and the sound of Peter De Rousset Hall's Superblower's engine revving up!!!! Wow! I saw several ACOC members enjoying the spectacle, and talked about our cars to many visitors who managed to find our ACOC stand . The weather was 100% better than the forecast, and a good time was had by all. I took the flags which Barrie and Bill Bird sourced for the Scottish International, and they worked a treat. Going home on Saturday evening following Murray driving our Ace was hopefully the shape of things to come. On Sunday I got bogged down at home with all the work I should have done last weekend after the Scottish International, and that which I can't do next weekend when I will be racing at Silverstone on Saturday, so didn't manage to get to Brooklands. I hope all went well on the ACOC stand.

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 12:18:50 »
Hi, I went down on Sunday with my 3 girls and joined up with Peter, Mike, John & Dee for what turned out to be an excellent day.  The strong winds felt on Saturday afternoon had died down to a breeze, with lots of sunshine between short bouts of light cloud.  Overall, a long-awaited spring day!

Because the parking on Saturday had been a little out of the way (and hidden behind a transporter), John's request to relocate the AC stand resulted in our 3 MKIV's and Mike's Greyhound finding new parking on the Brooklands banking at the end of the driving test stage just beyond the bridge - a perfect spot from which to enjoy the action and display our cars.

When the time came to take our turn up test hill, we took up Steve Grey's invitation to joined in with the 4 Heritage Cobra's (who were in turn closely followed by the Mustang club).  Egged on by the organisers and crowd, we gave the spectators an enthusiastic demonstration of Cobra's doing what they do best - being loud and going fast!  The organisers did a great job marshalling everyone around and in their efforts to to keep the atmosphere going, encouraged us to enjoy multiple turns up the hill, resulting in us all enjoying at least 7/8 turns up the hill.

Following the Cobra's & Mustangs were a variety of other vehicles and motorcycles or varying ages and sizes.  Some very impressive vintage machinery did a good job entertaining the crowds with spirited runs up the hill, many accompanied by smoky exhausts and rich octane vapours!  An unusual test hill competitor was a Sinclair C5 that did the hill remarkably quickly (and in near-silence!).

The only wrinkle on the day was an unfortunate half-shaft failure on one of the MKIV's mid-way up test hill.  Hopefully it will be fixed soon and be back on the road in time for the Le Mans Classic.

No doubt photos and videos will appear here and on the internet in due course.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:27:10 »
Thanks to everyone that supported the club over the weekend. FYI – on the Sunday we were able to move from our asigned location ( behind the Lotus truck ) to the top of the main start/finish straight near the banking. This worked much better for everyone as it was close the driving tests and far more accessible to the public.
   Andy, I appreciate your kind words of support for our attack on Test Hill and the other driving tests. I think we got FTD on the hill and cleaned the other tests, beating the green Morgan in our class by two seconds on one the on the banking. I think the rev-limiter was pleased when it was all over and she no longer had to be the passenger (a passenger was a requirement of the VSCC completion). Unfortunately my demon run up the hill on Sunday afternoon ended with a big bang two thirds of the way up the hill when a half shaft snapped.[V]
   If anyone has a suggestion for a replacement of a standard or heavy-duty replacement I’d appreciated it as I’m supposed to be giving hot laps at the Top Gear track this weekend and then it’s time for the LM Classic in a couple of weeks.
    Old Crock, the SS100 was created for the owner by J D Classics and has been quite well received  http://jdclassics.co.uk/Uniques-Special-Ones-2011

Chafford  - pleased you thought the car “wasn’t bad”.

Young Mr. Legate : I was very fortunate to find a copy of your first Cobra book for sale at Brooklands last weekend and snapped it up. Do you think £800 was about the right price? [:D]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 14:53:38 »
Sounds like I missed a good weekend,  Unfortunately Couldn't make it due to family committments and finalising Le Mans Classic Road Book and paperwork.

Hopefully John and Rev limiter have their Black Mk1V up and running by next week,  John you should have asked Steve Gray to give a demonstration on Changing Half shafts, dare say Steve has some heavy duty units in the comprehensive AC Heritage stores..[:p]

You still have plenty of time before Le Mans Classic ......Departing Portsmouth  Thursday evening 5th July........[;)].

Keith..[:)]

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 15:09:48 »
Hi Keith,
   The boys at Thunder Road are already trying to get replacements but it would appear it’s not an off the shelf item and there isn’t a heavy-duty version apparently (because no one is silly enough to break one). We may have to get a new pair made. Fingers crossed it’s just the half shaft and not the diff, though Thunder Road have already found a diff if needed.
   We'll be at Portsmouth even if it’s in a modern, but hopefully TACO will be back to full health.

It’s funny how things work out, the chap who owns the property where my car is stored was at the Brooklands event exhibiting one of his cars. He offered to take his car home and return with his low-loader to recover our car back to the storage facility. It certainly made life a whole lot easier and is a great example of car people helping one another out.[:)]

Cheers – John.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 16:54:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by C9OBY

Hi, I went down on Sunday with my 3 girls .....

Hi Bruce,
   Nice to read that it is 3 now !! .. Have not seen you since Castle Combe in September 2009.. you seem to have been quite busy [:)]

In the spirit of our new chairman's introduction letter in the last ACtion: the ACOC needs young blood to ensure the club'y longtime continuity  .... [;)]

All the best, and hope to see you at LMC

Constant

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 18:53:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by MkIV Lux

quote:
Originally posted by C9OBY

Hi, I went down on Sunday with my 3 girls .....

Hi Bruce,
   Nice to read that it is 3 now !! .. Have not seen you since Castle Combe in September 2009.. you seem to have been quite busy [:)]

Hi Constant,

My reference to '3 girls' is based on 1x wife and 2x children.  I can tell you that living in a house with the 3 of them is more than enough... I'm not brave enough to try for a 3rd in case I end up even further in the minority!  Spending time in the garage playing with my MKIV helps to keep me out of any further trouble... [;)]

Cheers
   Bruce

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 13:08:54 »
I've managed to track down one of the photographers at the event, who has kindly passed on some of his photos to me.  Graham has some excellent photos of the event and it's well worth taking a look through them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamchrimes/
   http://portfotolio.net/grahamchrimes

The youngest passenger of the day!

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 15:12:56 »
hey, lovely passenger learns it early!

New car Bruce!?

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 20:24:03 »
Some good pictures of the Double Twelve event and the AC Heritage factory on the AC Heritage website. Click on 'more pictures' on the left hand side:

http://www.accars.co.uk/

Page 2 has some good shots of the 'factory' and cars and pages 2 & 3 some good action shots of the Test Hill

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 23:03:02 »
Hi Chafford. I have only just had the opportunity to view the photo images you have taken of the Double 12 event. They look superb!

Thank you for taking a couple of images of my car (ACSB7020 Superblower- brushed/polished aluminium). It's the first time it has had an outing really since it left the AC factory on 2001. I hope to complete the build in the next year or two (but don't hold your breath)and be able to join the ACOC at a number of events. Thanks again.
   Gary