Author Topic: AK 1216  (Read 20424 times)

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1216
« on: June 10, 2012, 06:26:30 »
As the old saying goes, when one door closes, another one opens.  I was the buyer of AK 1011 (the black EBay car) as covered in my post in the recent forum topic on AK 1011.  That sale fell apart when the seller decided to back out of the sale.  While disappointed that I was unable to buy that car, everything happens for a reason I guess.  It ends up that I found AK 1216 just a 45 minute drive from my home at a classic car dealer in Burlingame, CA, south of San Francisco.  The dealer is Cammisa Motor Cars and they had a 1987 AC Mk IV, BRG over tan leather.  The original owner was a local man who imported the car directly from the AC factory in January 1988, and subsequently sold the car to his business partner about 7 years later.  This second owner was the party who consigned AK 1216 to Cammisa for sale.  I saw the car last weekend.  I had a PPI performed at a local well known repair shop that specializes in classic cars and it passed with flying colors with the exception of a few small items I will take care of.  The car is beautiful.  It has been driven and has around 23,000 miles on it.  It has been well maintained and I have all of the service history back to the beginning and all of the correspondence with Autokraft regarding the purchase and the importation of the car to Oakland, CA.  I have left the car at the dealer to have them provide an estimate for filling some paint chips and to possibly dye the leather as it is worn a bit.  I should have it in about a week.  It drives amazingly and is very fast and sounds terrific!!  I am very excited to finally own an AC car, which has been something I have wanted to do for many many years.  WIth the 50th anniversary this year of the Cobra, I am hoping to attend the Monterey Historic races at Laguna Seca raceway on the Monterey peninsula in August and drive my Mk IV there for the races.  I do not know how to post photos of my car on this site, so I have provided a Photobucket link if anyone is interested in seeing the car.  It is a CA smog legal car, so that is a big hurdle that I do not have to deal with as I would have with AK 1011.

http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/bb1kitty/2001%20Discovery/Hetchins/AC%20Mk%20IV/

[:D]

REV

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:33:16 »
Congratulations!

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new car.

I've posted most of the photo's but there are still a few left to see at photobucket.

:-)

1984MkIV

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:40:42 »
Congratulations and welcome to the AC community. The seats have a nice patina - leave them as they are if they are not damaged (what cannĀ“t be judged from the photos).

Michael

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:11:56 »
Thank you both for your well wishes and for posting many of the photos. I have gone back and forth a bit regarding the leather. I may end up just leaving the seats the way they are with 25 years of use. I too like the patina.  The leather is more worn looking on the tops of the seats and looks to be starting to crack a little thus my thought on trying to restore and protect the leather. I will see what the dealer's interior man has to say and then decide.  Other than that the car is as it came from the factory except for the radio and electronic ignition and addition of the wind wings. There's a car show in the next town over that I hope to display it in this fall. The show is the Danville D'Elegance that benefits Parkinson's Disease. The show has grown and gotten better each year. Should be fun to have it in that event!  Coincidentally Cammisa is a show sponsor and they encouraged entering it in the event. I'm not sure if AK 1216 is in the AC registry.  If not, how do I go about entering it?  Is it through the process of filling out the application that is part of the home page?

REV

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 09:25:02 »
Private message Alan.

He is the MKIV registrar.

http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=20

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 11:11:37 »
Congratuation, nice car. I do not know what you have payed for it but I am quite sure that this is the better/cheaper deal than AK 1011 [:)]

French Frie

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 11:23:23 »
Congratulations ! A friend of mine, who's seeking for a MkIV, was in touch with them... You were quicker (and much nearer !) , well done ! The BRG/tan combo is gorgeous...
   PS: IMHO, the leather can be restored with the appropriate products...

SB7019

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:23:43 »
+1 on dkp's comments.   The register shows it as Jaguar Racing Green with tan trim/tonneau and wind wings.   Other than the build date (1987) and chassis number there are no other details.   I am sure Alan would be happy to know of any gaps that can be filled in.

French Frie

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 11:31:47 »
Ps: FYI, Peter, it was advertised $85,000 [;)]...

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 11:56:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by French Frie

Ps: FYI, Peter, it was advertised $85,000 [;)]...

Then, I am right [:D]

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 12:32:29 »
Congratulations. Your patience has paid off. Fabulous car!

Covered in June's 'ACtion', there's an 'AC Owners Club and Cobra Owners Dinner' on Friday August 17 7.30pm at:

Fandango Restaurant
   223 17th Street, Pacific Grove, CA 93950
   (just north of Pebble Beach Property)

Cost $60 per person inclusive of tax and gratuity (paid in advance)

Cheques only payable to:

JERRY F. ROSENSTOCK
   7754 BALBOA BLVD. SUITE "A"
   LAKE BALBOA, CALIFORNIA
   USA 91406

Email address: jfrosenstock@hotmail.com

Jerry owns a 1956 Ace Bristol (lucky man!)

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 16:33:23 »
Thank you to all for your welcoming and helpful posts.  I will be sure to get a hold of the registrar and join the club too.  Chafford, thank you for the mention of the dinner in Pacific Grove (a lovely town). I will be sure to get a hold of Jerry Rosenstock.  Advertised price for the car was $89,000. Gave them a lower initial offer somewhat based on a midnight blue Mk IV that sold a few months ago at a dealer (Fast Lane Classic Cars in Missouri). That car sold for $65,000 per the dealer. Absolutely gorgeous car with side pipes that the dealer said was ordered that way from the factory (but I digress!).  I was disappointed to have missed that car though happy nonetheless with mine!  I offered in the low $70's and was shot down. Made another in the upper $70's and it was accepted.  With this, I will need to invest some money to fix some of the paint issues (cannot tell in the photos) including a good size chip in the passenger door and to deal with a wheel bearing that needs attention and to tune it and change all the fluids.  Hoping for no other surprises, but as the car has not been driven much the last few years, I am expecting a few things to crop up.  I believe I paid a reasonable price. French Frie...timing is everything!  I was lucky to have found the car when I did.  Best
   wishes to your friend in finding another car.  I will keep my eyes opened over here and let you know if I see another another car.  The BRG paint over tan is a fantastic combination and was ordered by the original owner this way.  I imagine that fixing AK 1011 would have cost more in the long run.  The original owner, who is a good client of the dealer, has a couple of beautiful old Jags there on consignment.  A good buying experience if anyone is interested in a car at this dealer.

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 17:47:20 »
Robert

You can join the ACOC electronically:

http://www.acownersclub-shop.co.uk/shop/category_4/New-Members.html?shop_param=cid%3D%26

You can order without registering or register during the ordering process.

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 18:09:54 »
Mark, thank you for the help.  I just joined the ACOC!  Very easy to do via Paypal.  Thanks!

Rob

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1216
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 18:51:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by French Frie

Congratulations ! A friend of mine, who's seeking for a MkIV, was in touch with them... You were quicker (and much nearer !) , well done ! The BRG/tan combo is gorgeous...
   PS: IMHO, the leather can be restored with the appropriate products...

This may be of interest to your friend:

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4607