Author Topic: New AC Mk VIs for Sale in France  (Read 8705 times)

Chafford

• View Profile
New AC Mk VIs for Sale in France
« on: June 09, 2012, 21:51:28 »
There are a couple of Mk VIs on sale at AC's French dealer for those with deep pockets. The cheaper car costs £109,000, the more expensive supercharged car, £129,000:

http://www.formulalease.com/occasion-ac-mk-6,13.html

Spantik

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 21:12:27 »

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 21:35:15 »
Emmanuel

Welcome to the AC Owners Club. I understand you have a Mk VI on order. What's the specification and when is your car being delivered?

Mark

Spantik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 07:58:36 »
Hi Mark,

Thanks, I really enjoy reading through the forum and ACtion (looking forward receiving the last edition).

Specs are quite simple as only two models are offered, the GT and GTS. I opted for the (modest) GT with the 6.2L - 437 BHP Chevy crate LS3 engine, midnight blue metallic body and sand leather interior. No side pipes as during the test drive I almost lost my hearing on both ears after two hours (my wife drove the second hour) and also due to noise regulations in Switzerland (the side pipes will be modified for this model in Switzerland). Last but not least, I prefer the profile view of the AC without side pipes.
   No Le Mans roof, but normal tonneau cover and a foldable cover with windows, all in sand color.  Chrome rear fender protection, optional traction control (not that I expect to drive in Winter, but this might help in slippery Swiss conditions), and roll-bar for both driver and passenger.

Delivery is expected between October 2012 and April 2013.

Actually, the manufacturer in Germany spent quite an extensive time in developing a few prototype to deliver what is advertised as the most modern AC (Cobra) from the technological perspective in the shape of a car from the 60's. Which I might agree, the model we saw in Geneva was very appealing. The series manufacturing started in July 2012 according to Mr. Mohr. Really looking forward owning and driving such a car.

The GTS was formerly offered with 650BHP, but I guess due to CO2 emission regulation, the compressor engine has been bridled down to 550BHB. The optional traction control as well as drivetrain control comes in serie on the GTS.

Emmanuel.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 13:35:06 »
I'm looking forward to reading about the car here and in ACtion when it's delivered. As far as I'm aware, traction control and launch control will be a first for an AC Cobra.

Spantik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 19:50:34 »
I'll be more than glad and honored to contribute to the ACtion.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 21:47:08 »
The car has certainly been developed since the first version was announced in 2009, but I'm a little surprised that it has taken AC Automotive 3 years to put the car into production. As yet, there is no rhd version for the UK, but I would expect that to change once AC announce their new dealers.

The editor of ACtion was impressed with the build quality of the car in the photos when he attended the Geneva Motor Show in March. It's very much a modern interpretation of the Cobra as was the Mk IV 25 years ago.

Spantik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 08:44:08 »
Well, if you read the press back in 2010, the manufacturer anticipated to have 40 cars produced in 2011 and reach 120 cars a year produced in 2013. But prototyping took a heavy toll on the timing, as engine, gear, brakes, interior, tires, etc... had to become a perfect fit and match Mr. Mohr's expectations for the Mk VI. It is not bad to be a perfectionist, as the delivery is quite amazing and I share ACtion editor's observation in Geneva: the car made a quantum leap between the prototype of 2009-2010 and now (I saw also a prototype 2011, which was also behind what I saw in Geneva). The fine tuning of all components and dealing with suppliers to achieve that result has been very time consuming.

I am convinced that such development is far from a pleasure cruise, and I salute Mr. Carroll Shelby as he was the first seed of my passion, he went through this back in the 60's.

http://www.sz-online.de/nachrichten/artikel.asp?id=2614767 (in German)

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 09:09:24 »
Now where are the 40 cars now that Mr. Mohr claimed in the article (this was before 17 November 2010)to be the yearly capacity??  "We are unable to follow up with the production" (translation of his quote).... The article further mentions that Mr. Mohr stated he could sell at least twice as many cars than the factory's production capacity....

Must have been other cars than AC Cobras!

sorry for my critical mind - my dad used to say: believe what you see, and thereof take only half .. and that might just be a bit closer to the truth!

Spantik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 12:19:55 »
Just the difference between marketing and bare reality. Mr. Shelby himself used to re-paint cars to give the impression the production was running like hell...

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 19:46:57 »
The limited production capacity of AC Automotive's facility was covered in the recent Telegraph article. We're not going to see an increase in production until ACs are being built by Hi Tech.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/9272536/Fresh-start-for-AC-Cars.html