Author Topic: Plenty of ACs (and a Replica!)  (Read 9120 times)

Chafford

• View Profile
Plenty of ACs (and a Replica!)
« on: June 06, 2012, 21:08:12 »
Posted on the 289 Register site:

http://www.the289register.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1356

Perhaps it would be a good idea for the ACOC to develop a closer relationship with the 289 Register with,for example, joint events:

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 16:24:56 »
Which one`s the replica, Chafford? [;)]

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 17:38:34 »
You do ask some tough questions Sir Nik!

I thought this was the AC forum....must have pressed the wrong buttons....the medication is wearing off!!

Clive

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 17:39:23 »
I whole heartedly agree. There already is a certain amount of crossover between the two clubs. The 289 Register has members who are also members of the ACOC and own original cars and vise versa.
   In the past The 289 Register has organised events which has had members of the ACOC attending. As we all have a common interest, I'm sure The 289 Register would make any member of the ACOC most welcome.

kaiserbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 19:31:45 »
We have ten 289's and one 427 attending the Le Mans Classic, plus we have our national meeting at the Silverstone Classic, where we normally get up to fifty 289's attending over the weekend.
   If anyone would like to meet us whilst we are in Le Mans please let me know as we would be happy to meet you [:)]

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 20:54:00 »
The Hawks and Kirkhams are probably the closest replicas in spirit to the ACs so the two clubs should have a natural affinity. It's worth noting Andy Shepherd's comments in June's ACtion that 'new young blood is essential if we (i.e. the ACOC) are to survive'. Arrangements of this kind will help ensure that this will happen.

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 20:55:27 »
Chafford we all know why these two clubs dont meet ap at various events, its funny I remember seeing more real Cobras parked up at the 289 Register stand than the AC stand one year at a certain event. Trevor if the medication is wearing off,take some more !!

Nik, will you be at the Pageant of Power next weekend ?

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 21:06:16 »
Kaiserbilly1's invitation looks like a genuine one to me.

I'm off to Brooklands on the 16th.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 21:35:40 »
Thanks for the fantastic photo of Dad with Jack Sears, Bill! The last and greatest period racers of the best Cobra share stories at Silverstone. Gentleman Jack is an honourary member of the 289 Register and a regular visitor to their events.
   The 289 Register are a great club, as anyone who has seen their stands at (for example) The NEC Classic will attest to!
   Whilst some ACOC members may be a little 'sniffy' about replicants & the like, these guys are not the enemy!!!
   Yes, I`ll be at Cholmondeley, in an AC, and just pray for better weather than previously inflicted upon us!
   Chafford, a more genuine invitation would be hard to come across. [8D]

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 21:48:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Thanks for the fantastic photo of Dad with Jack Sears, Bill! The last and greatest period racers of the best Cobra share stories at Silverstone. Gentleman Jack is an honourary member of the 289 Register and a regular visitor to their events.
   The 289 Register are a great club, as anyone who has seen their stands at (for example) The NEC Classic will attest to!
   Whilst some ACOC members may be a little 'sniffy' about replicants & the like, these guys are not the enemy!!!
   Yes, I`ll be at Cholmondeley, in an AC, and just pray for better weather than previously inflicted upon us!
   Chafford, a more genuine invitation would be hard to come across. [8D]

Not sure about the use of 'replicant' - I thought this was some sort of robot in Blade Runner! [:0]

The 289 Register's stands are brilliant though and a credit to the AC marque [:)]

Clive

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 01:54:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

The Hawks and Kirkhams are probably the closest replicas in spirit to the ACs so the two clubs should have a natural affinity. It's worth noting Andy Shepherd's comments in June's ACtion that 'new young blood is essential if we (i.e. the ACOC) are to survive'. Arrangements of this kind will help ensure that this will happen.

This is exactly what Barrie Bird and I were talking about on Sunday at Dunkeld. I know it was a wee bit tongue in cheek for me to return with my Hawk, but hopefully the spares I brought with me helped Rodney to get his car going again.
   Unfortunately I will never be able to afford a genuine AC, but by owning a replica, albeit an expensive one, I have the next best thing. This is why, in my opinion, the ACOC can not attract 'new young blood' as the cost of ownership is outwith the reach of us mere mortals. I am however a member of both the ACOC and The 289 Register so perhaps we can forge closer relationships in the future.

kaiserbilly1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 11:17:47 »
Chafford, It's a very genuine offer to meet up at Le Mans.
   Our stand is in Zone 2 (beside the GT40's)so not far from the ACOC stand. Any ACOC member will be made to feel very welcome.
   We are taking part in a track session with the GT40 Enthusiasts Club on the Friday evening circa 20.00, so we will all be on stand prior to that.
   Thanks for the comments on our club displays, being the events coordinator for the last 9 years, it's great to get positive feedback and makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 13:51:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Clive

quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

This is exactly what Barrie Bird and I were talking about on Sunday at Dunkeld. I know it was a wee bit tongue in cheek for me to return with my Hawk, but hopefully the spares I brought with me helped Rodney to get his car going again.
   Unfortunately I will never be able to afford a genuine AC, but by owning a replica, albeit an expensive one, I have the next best thing. This is why, in my opinion, the ACOC can not attract 'new young blood' as the cost of ownership is outwith the reach of us mere mortals. I am however a member of both the ACOC and The 289 Register so perhaps we can forge closer relationships in the future.

Admittedly the Aces and Cobras are out of reach for most but you might be able to afford a 3000 ME, if you could find one. I've always fancied one of these - a very practical all weather car and ludicrously undervalued.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 20:17:36 »

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 20:47:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Flyinghorse

This looks good value:
   http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3964219.htm

£39,500 for a genuine AC Cobra - it will probably sell quickly.