Author Topic: 1958 Sebring ? / Neat Old Photo  (Read 41356 times)

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
1958 Sebring ? / Neat Old Photo
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 07:08:28 »
A friend of mine just missed out on buying BEX 258 earlier this year, it sold within 24 hrs of appearing on Gullwings website!

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 13:09:12 »
The comments on barnfind.com were all about how overpriced it was @ $89,500...if you factor about the same for restoration(maybe that`s not enough!), you`re stood at $180,000 for a $200k+ car, so someone obviously thinks the sums add up.
    Although the sellers said the engine is correct & turns over, where is the gear lever?
   Here`s a front end view too:

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 16:49:43 »
BEX258 is a good restoration project especially with the racing history. I saw a file of over twenty pictures from Gullwing and all the parts were present and correct, even a spare cylinder head.
   Also, although  the car had obviously been stored for a long time, it had not been subjected to the normal V8 conversion with all the attendant modifications.The chassis although covered with suface rust
   also appeared straight and unmolested. Al in all I think the price for this car was just about spot on hence the quick sale.

ANTOINE PRUNET

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 19:07:59 »
T is certainly for "Testing" or practice only.
   #38 in 1958 was the Love/Jackson Moore that came 22nd.
   It's obviously a different Ace from 38T
   Cheers

slotcarone

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 01:46:49 »
I see a paragraph about BEX 1147--I used to own this car.  I bought it about 1972 and at the time I was told that it was originally purchased from Grossman motors but I had no idea it had racing history.  It did have a small windsreen that could replace the stock one and also had a roll bar.  The windshield was curved like a Cobra rather than flat like most other Bristols.  Here is the real kicker--I sold it for $1900!!!

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 19:54:15 »
Hi Mike & welcome to the forum!
   Keith(BEX333) the master archivist came across your old mount at the Le Mans Classic in 2008 and took this photo of the old girl:

Sorry you sold the Ace when you did, my Dad sold his Cobra in 1973 for £2500, it`s now worth £1.5M+ !!!
   Oh well, it`s only money!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 19:44:27 by nikbj68 »

slotcarone

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 00:39:06 »
That is the one--I have seen that picture before.  I put those rear view mirrors on  when I had it since it only had the small one on the dash. It was marooon back then and the registration said it was a 1962 but most likely that was when it was first registered.  At that time a potential buyer contacted the AC factory and found out it was made in 1960 and was originally green.I have lots of pictures if anybody is interested. Thanks for posting!!

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 09:53:04 »
Mike.

Welcome to the Forum,  Would be interested in a few period pictures of BEX1147 when owned by you in the 1970s.
   Could you please email pictures and I will forward to Tony Bancroft the official ACOC Ace Bristol Registrar..[;)]

Pity you were n ot aware of it's earlier racing history, do you by any chance have any other data on history prior to your ownership.[?]

my email :  keith dot lessiter at faac dot co dot uk

Cheers for Now

Keith..[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 10:31:56 »
Mike, it would be great if you could start a BEX1147 thread with photos (instructions HERE) and stories of your time with the the Ace.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2012, 11:51:13 »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nikbj68</i>

Reposted  picture ,  please scroll down  below the following two pictures... .. ;)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Oh dear, BEX 258 didn`t get much love after Bill Love!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Taken from <u><font color="blue">Barn Finds.com</u></font id="blue">: "<i>This Ace was SCCA raced  by Bill Love in the fifties and sixties. The last owner purchased it back in 1974 and it has sat in Texas since then. It looks like somewhere along the line one of the owners attempted to start a restoration by stripping off the paint. The car was originally red with a black interior, but you cant tell by looking at it. The sale includes the car’s original California pink slip. There are no photos of the engine, but Gullwing claims that the engine is correct and that it does turn over. It is missing a few pieces, but it looks complete enough to warrant a full restoration.</i>"<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
   It is off Gullwing`s books now, so hopefully is in restoration as we speak!
   <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b>Nik</b>

<b>BEX258..  ..  To be loved again</b>..[;)]

<font color="green"> Pictured above,  <b>BEX258</b> in Period and as recently Bought by a True AC enthusiast, who has owned, restored and maintained various AC's over the years.</font id="green">

<b>Car now in  really good hands and serious restoration in progress</b>, priority in maintaining originality where ever posiible..[^].

A future 100 point car that will be used, [;)] As intended when it originally left Thames Ditton in March 1957 heading for sunny  California..[:)].

Hopefully regular reports will appear on the Forum.

<b>Keith</b>..[:)]..[:)]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:18:25 by AC Ace Bristol »

slotcarone

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 23:17:36 »
Regarding BEX 1147 I don't have any other info about the past history before I bought it other than it came from Grossmans.  It did have disc brakes and a roll bar at the time and the small "Brooklands" windscreen.  When I bought it the engine was not running too well which turned out to be a rotted head gasket.  I did the job myself after contacting the AC factory and arranging the purchase of the gasket set. I remember getting the price in pounds and shillings and going to my local bank to get the exchange rate and sent a check.  A funny story about when I first brought the car home--It was about 40 miles from my house and I went there to get it with my brother and my girlfriend planning to tow it with my brothers 1957 Mercury with a rope.  We could not find any place to attach the rope so we decided I would drive it even though it was not registered or insured.  I was able to get it up to about 35 MPH tops and we had to take a few different highways and go over a toll bridge back into Queens.  I was going from one highway to the next around the exit ramp that I was not familiar with making a right turn and when I turned the wheel we found out that the seats were not fastened to the floor and not only did my girlfriend come flying into my lap but the drivers door flew open at the same time!!  My brother was riding behind us and was cracking up!!  We did make it home though!!

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 19:44:34 »
Tim

In response to a recent group email sent to various US ACOC members reference Information on the Team Pellandini Ace Bristol.

I have received the following from:-

Jerry Rosenstock (BEX229)......

Hi Keith

Sorry, I do not have any information for you. I do have one person, with whom I will do some follow up. If it leads to anything I will get back to you. There are some miscellaneous AC's floating around California. I have had several owners talk to me about theirs , I usually point them to the ACOC. So I really have no solid leads for you.

I read the link and the information. Really very enlightening and worth while reading.

I have very little information about my BEX229 other than the Sebring Class win.
   The second owner when he joined the ACOC stated he was a flag worker in the East USA and saw my car
   running many times. However I have not been able to substantiate that information. If in your quest, you find some information I would very much appreciate hearing from you. Dr. Richard Milo was the first owner who raced the car, he lived in Ithaca, New York. The second owner/flag man was M.L. Bennett also from Ithaca New York.

Good luck hunting for Pellandini Ace Bristol and History of Aces at Sebring in 1950s/1960s...

Best regards

Jerry Rosenstock..
   BEX229

Cheers

Keith ...[:)]..[:)]

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 12:31:47 »
December 93 ACtion extracts posted on Keith's behalf.....

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2013, 19:51:02 »
   Bryan.

Thank you for posting the letters of Richard Cramer & Frank Schroeder as published in the  December 1993 issue  of  ACtion. Vol 17 # 8 ..[;)]

Hopefully a ACOC member, AC enthusiast or Classic/Historic Sports Car Racing enthusiast reading and following this thread, Knows of
   FRANK SCHOEDER or a relative of Franks and has access to Franks archive of period racing photographs and racing data..[:p]..[:)].
   (Or can confirm tel number and / or email address so Tim and Jay can follow up in due course..)

To complement this thread on Ace Bristols raced at Sebring with the potential bonus of material relating to other AC Ace Bristols raced during the mid 1950's, late 1950's and early 1960s, throughout the
   USA..[;)]

Keith..[:)]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 20:01:38 »
   Copy of Letter Published in ACtion Vol 14,  No2 page 4

January 20th 1964.

Mr Randy Smith (Secretary)
   The AC Owners Club Ltd
   3630 East 56th Street
   Tulsa 35, Oklahoma.

Dear Mr Smith.

Thank you for your letter dated January 1st 1964, regarding AC Owners Club.

My particular AC was one which the factory raced at Sebring in 1958.  It has a large gas tank and a 4" filler- the whole bit.

When I first acquired it, I dropped a 327 Chevrolet in it with the chevrolet 4 speed, used the standard ENV and Axles, stepped on the gas very lightly and had
   absolutely no problems.  At the same time, I can assure you I never punched it until I was way past the wheel spin stage.

My first project was to throw away the lousy steering set up and install rack and pinion from Morris Minor.

Next stage was to throw the front end away and install a standard Ford Fairlane strut type suspension, utilizing drum brakes with a Lincoln aluminium Drum,
   11" x 3 1/2". For the rear I installed Corvette Stingray centre section, made steel fabricated hub carriers, using stub axles with permanent lubricated ball bearings,
   instead of their mickey mouse taper bearing set up, with .007 to .001 clearances.  I made up spicer half shafts using 13-10 U joints all the way.
   So far this has proven to be a very rugged chassis, as I have never had any problems.

Now I run the 289 High performance stock engine around town, When I go racing, I use anything from 221 to a 350 cubic inch job, all based on Fairlane blocks.
   It depends on how fast I want to go on which engine I use.  I have Ellborn Fuel injection which I feel does a very fine job.  I use standard 289 cam and kit,
   and I do use Chevrolet fuel injection valves throughout in stadard 289 cylinder heads, ported.  For compression I use deflector type pistons.
   I use standard Chevrolet 4 speed transmission with the short tail.
   All in all I find this to be a very enjoyable car.

In one recent trip to Bonniville, I put up an average speed of 100 miles per hour for 780 miles, most of this in Nevada where there are no speed limitations.
   Some stretches of road I achieved an overall average of 126 mph.  needless to say, I would not have felt very safe with the standard components,
   even though my car still tips the beam at 2040pounds, using 50-50 distribution.

I plan to run this car for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb this year (1964) and I am now in the process of dumping the body in favor of a Devin fibreglass,
   so about the only thing from AC I will have left will be two pieces os 3" tubing!

I certainly enjoyed your letter, and enjoyred reading your monthly bulletin.

A K Miller
   Ford Performance Advisor.

But such tubing, and where are they now ?  Ed.

Chassis Number ...[?]
   Does any of this Ace exist... [?] , What became of the Body...[?]

Fasinating reading but I'm left  speechless....[:0]...[:(]

Keith..[;)]