Author Topic: AK 1011 on Ebay  (Read 27749 times)

REV

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 12:12:10 »
What is critical is that these cars are loved. AK1011 hasn't had that love and nor had the car I'm currently restoring.

When a car is cast aside for sometime it deteriorates quickly. Things that were a tad rusty and tight become seized and they just generally become much more tired than one that is doing what it should. They sit in a barn and fill with dust and grime that becomes engrained and embedded. If no one is there to buy and restore these cars then they will be lost, and the costs are substantial.

So as long as the cars are loved and cherished then they will survive. Many will hopefully be restored several times during their lives to varying degrees, and originality will probably be totally the future name of the game. But before we get to the future they need to pass through the now.

My personal car has shades of the 60's running through it. We have removed the heater controls from the dash and placed them into the glove box. No headrests, 60's gear shift and a 60's steering column. Under the bonnet we have a weber style stack fuel injection system, which it should have had before we started, but somehow it had been replaced with a carb. Reel seat belts have been fitted to PROPER added fixing points (if you have harnesses fitted check where they're connected). It even has heated seats. Mechanically it is totally upgraded and pristine.

And then the colour..... Yep Guardsman with Wimbledon.... I know it's a little passe, but I like it. I grew up in the sixties and Ken Miles is still my hero. So no apologies, it's mine and I love how it looks, and when most people see it they usually do as well.  The quality of the vehicle means it is not confused with a kit car. It is stunning.

All of the above could though be easily reversed back to stock without a great deal of fuss. The fabric of the car has not changed.

The important thing is that it is in glorious condition and will hopefully be preserved now for several decades, and when its time to once again restore it, then the next man can have his say.

TLegate

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 12:35:28 »
And I can second all the above - tis a veritable work of art, a bit of mobile perfection!! The only creatures who might mistake that MkIV for a 'kit car' are those who breath through their mouths

French Frie

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 13:21:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by REV

The quality of the vehicle means it is not confused with a kit car. It is stunning.

I think we all agree about that ! even if some (very few) kit cars can equal the MKIV quality, it is obvious ... one little story: when I picked up AK1113 at LE HAVRE port facilities, the guy who delivered the car lead me to it, and said : "we put it there, in a quiet place, because of the quality of the car... we see a lot of replicas coming from the USA, but this car is really different!" [|)]

apart from the dashboard (and you're right, Shep, stickgear and housing!), my other wondering is wether to keep the interior in its original color (ie tan), or change it to black, which is more common, but has my favour on a red Cobra ! but it also involve changing seats and doors uphosltery, and as already said, I want to keep everything reversible, so it means buying new black seats (easy) and finding or making from scratch door panels (harder)...

I must admit that the combo red/tan is very "american" (no offense), and each time I see a red/black MKIV, I love it... but sometimes, I look at my car and want to change nothing [:o)]!

an example of a tan straight dashboard (from a Superformance - but for illustration only ;) !):

what do you think of it (colour essentially) ?

Mark IV

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 13:24:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

are those who breath through their mouths

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Painting a MK IV blue/white is NOT a crime! Letting one linger until it is worn and forlorn is!

Use it or lose it..............

French Frie

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 13:27:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by REV

We have removed the heater controls from the dash and placed them into the glove box.

very clever ! I was thinking of using straight pull switches (like those for manual choke), or fitting them to a larger horizontal return of the dashboard (hidden) but you solution is better... do you have any picture of this solution, please ?

REV

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 15:06:57 »
The Heater controls are the originals, but just relocated.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 15:51:44 »
Very Nice Nick,

My thoughts exactly. I would have done similar things with it. Why don't you post a bunch of photos of your car. I would love to see it!

Gus

TLegate

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 16:07:04 »
Not much room in there for your string-back driving gloves (or a bottle of Tizer)

French Frie

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 16:18:28 »
thanks for the pics ! who cares for a glovebox, anyway :) ?

don't want to be thick, but your dashboard layout looks like a S/C one... so is a glovebox logical ? or is it a lightweight dashboard ?  for my car, I'd prefer a street version layout, anyway...
   last, I noticed the "MkIII" door panel ? was it also converted ?

thanks !

Olivier

Edited : ok, I got it ! I noticed the AKL name of your picture [:o)] ....

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 16:32:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by French Frie

Edited : ok, I got it ! I noticed the AKL name of your picture [:o)] ....

Yes, but the sub-directory is AK1023 [:)] So, if the car is AK1023 it would be very interesting how the doors are modified (pictures, pictures, ...)

dart427

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 18:07:10 »
Go to dragonwheelsrestorations.co.uk

REV

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 19:21:39 »
One has to have somewhere to put you string back gloves!

It's not supposed to be a faithful repro of a 60's car. It was just done as I felt I wanted it. The dash is part of the original modified and part new.

The doors are standard as it is a lightweight and not a standard MKIV., but I did convert the doors on AK1023. I would though advise that it's a very difficult job. Probably easier to make new doors. All the hinges need to be altered and the doors are made in a completely different way. Getting the door catches right is a nightmare! Very tricky. All my pics of AK1023 are now gone and so is the car so I cant take anymore photos.

As Dart says the link is Dragon Wheels:

http://www.dragonwheelsrestorations.co.uk/concours.htm

French Frie

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 21:18:23 »
Very instructive ! Quite off topic,but  As I already ordered a bent gearstick, may I dare to ask if the use of it is easy, and if it doesn't "throw" the gearknob too far from the seat ? I assume the gearlever is not as the same place the Toploader was on original cars,but I stand to be corrected...
   Other question: I asked about shocks few weeks ago (Spax ones), and see that you (or AFS)  fitted Gaz shocks ... Are you pleased with them and do you know the references # ?
   Thank you for sharing!

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 21:37:20 »
Very nice, my kinda car! And I like the Blue and Stripes!
   I Shoulda bid the high bid on that thing!

Gus

REV

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 21:37:45 »
I'm sorry but I can't answer that as yet as I've not driven it!

At the moment it has only been registered a few days and we are awaiting the man to do the final calibrations on the fuel injection system. He is at Le Mans until after the 24 Heures.

I am promised that It is his first job upon his return.

:-)