Author Topic: AK 1011 on Ebay  (Read 27742 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 18:57:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by REV...I raise a glass to the MKIV in all it's guises, and I make the  toast "Vive la difference!" It is what it is and they are what they are. But in the modern world they still stand out as a thing of beauty and a car of character...[:)]

Spoken with verve & gusto, Sir! May I join you to raise a glass to all of the above?
   Don`t just polish it; Get it out, drive it, love it. [8D]

quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes...I would have restored it with large overtones of 60's Cobra's. Hopefully we'll get to see the car on the ACOC forum in the future. Gus
Could you imagine turning up anywhere with it looking like it does now? [:0]
   I`d love that! Not quite like one of my top 5 Cobras, Lynn Park`s amazing never-washed 289 timewarp, but pretty darned cool!

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 20:55:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by REV

I for one really enjoy looking at the MKIV's on concours day. They all have personalities, some of which reflect their owners and others which are production differences.  Over the years of manufacture specifications changed, carburetors gave way to fuel injection, Aluminum gave way to CRS. head rests were added, then there were Lightweights and Superblowers. Dash boards changed and so did wheel diameters. They were not all different, but they varied from car to car sometimes depending on what was available. [:)]

But they won't have if they're converted into replica S/Cs in Guardsman Blue with Wimbledon White stripes and chromed side exhausts. This sort of radical change completely destroys a Mk IV's identity, in my opinion.

However as you said earlier, the buyer is entirely within his right to  turn his Mark IV into a car that will be confused with a Dax.

REV

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 01:20:19 »
So "Original" Cobras were never painted Guardsman Blue with Wimbledon white stripes? And if they were they are confused with Dax copies?

That is your opinion. Which is ok, but it is your opinion and no more. I would suspect that any MKIV owner that owns a car of those colours might find your comments offensive. Which I do.

So not being funny, but do you actually own an AC? And if so which one, and what glorious colour is it? Is it in its original colours? and detailed correctly?

I would be a fairly shameful thing to give such opinions and make such statements without actually being an owner wouldn't it? To deride others cars and put down fellow members of the owners clubs pride and joy? But that would only be my opinion.

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 13:21:51 »
This isn't a discussion about an individual's car, merely a wider discussion on whether the original features and appearance of a MkIV car should be kept when a car is restored. Expressing a view on colour won't I suspect offend anyone apart from the most sensitive individuals.

My view is that a restoration should keep the essence of the original car - a good example is shown on the thread covering AK 1106.

And no offence to Dax owners - great cars endorsed by John Tojeiro.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 13:55:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford
   My view is that a restoration should keep the essence of the original car - a good example is shown on the thread covering AK 1106.

So, you would say that the essence of a MK IV is the dashboard but not the engine?

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 14:18:30 »
The essence of the car is both the engine and the appearance in my view. Removing the original Ford V8 and replacing it with another Ford V8 doesn't alter this in my opinion, although ideally the original should be retained.

REV

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 14:38:48 »
I think you'll also find that it was originally a "T" dash car and not a straight dash as now is.

Harry Callaghan (AKA Dirty Harry) has a very famous quote about opinions!

CRS9505

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 14:47:59 »
DAMN! I was going to fit a 427 motor with sidepipes and paint my original AC (Ferrari) Giallo Fly CRS in Wimbledon Blue with white stripes plus put on one of those chrome roll hoop things and a set of 15inch knock offs on Goodyear rubber.(And a Monza filler cap)
   Now you say this will make it non-original, you've spoiled my dream.
   Almost forgot removing the carpet, radio, speakers, adding the Nardi steering wheel etc and eventually getting an old nostalgic to sell it as an FIA dated Cobra....[:D]
   PS Question - Can you fit a Kirkham or Hawk alloy body to a CRS? Will it make it a real MK IV and command some respect...[:o)]

REV

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 15:17:46 »
Never give up on a dream..... especially if old nostalgic thinks he can shift it for you!

I suspect you'd need an absolute load of sticky back plastic to secure a new kirkham body to your chassis though, so maybe that's a non starter.

Anyone have an opinion?

:-)

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 19:21:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by REV

Never give up on a dream..... especially if old nostalgic thinks he can shift it for you!

I suspect you'd need an absolute load of sticky back plastic to secure a new kirkham body to your chassis though, so maybe that's a non starter.

Anyone have an opinion?

:-)

Alan Faulkner-Stevens is probably the best person to answer that - there's a Kirkham on the PDF article on his website.

http://www.dragonwheelsrestorations.co.uk/Talking%20Shop.pdf

Apologies for any offence caused to you in previous posts. I was trying to make a general point and no malicious or deliberate comments intended. No question that AFS is a master builder and restorer if AKL 1408 (as helpfully pointed out by a fellow poster) is anything to go by. (I would have chosen British Racing Green though! [;)][;)])

AK1131

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 21:03:41 »
I showed the photos to my Labrador Retriever. His comment was RUFF!

TLegate

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 22:37:42 »
Ruff convert Porsches! Does your dog know nothing???? Good grief....

Mark IV

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 04:50:26 »
Trevor,

The high bidder called me today for any info I had on this car. I told him to register and post here for details and that the International Cobra Czar would have info for him.

As I had  both AK 1013 and 1017 and both were different, I said that it was likely that 1011 would be different again. He intends to restore to Mk IV specification....no blue/white with big honkin' side pipes likely!

French Frie

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 14:15:10 »
very interesting discussion, with valuable points of view on each side... To add my humble piece of  thinking: I must admit that, although I enjoy the MKIV specifications and think it's a milestone on its own in the AC history, I also love some of the MKIII particularisms, and especially the interior and dashboard...

apart from keeping it original, I assume nobody prefers the Ford column switches, as well as the heater rotative knobs [B)] ! and the dashboard is the part of the car you look the longer at !
   so, I'm stretched between keeping it as original as it can be (and AK1113 is still 99% stock, which was a part of the buying decision), and enjoying it the way I want it ... I don't want a MKIII replica, I just want that MY MKIV looks the way I love it!

as a classic car nut, I know how much keeping a car stock is important, and will be more and more, so the first criteria is that every single modification has to be reversible, and if I ever change to a MKIII dashboard, I'd keep the T-shape one and all the parts on a shelf, to allow me (or any other owner) to go back... but as for the engine, I assume the best thing is to enjoy the car at its best ! regarding stripes, sidepipes and other racing  features, I don't like them, because to me, the MKIV is more a 289 sports,as sold by AC, with street features, than a 427 S/C...

to calm the discussion, maybe could we talk about a lightweight dashboard instead of a MKIII [:D] ?

jbottini

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 00:31:03 »
FF, nicely put! JB