Author Topic: AK 1011 on Ebay  (Read 28026 times)

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2012, 08:23:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by REV

I can see why you like British Racing Green now Chafford. That is a stunning car.

My experience of renovations is that it's cheaper to buy already restored... Much cheaper!

Not sure about the roll bar arrangement for the wife though!

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2012, 08:30:50 »
Also on the 60s cars were round lights and the rectangular ones used. Depends on the year.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2012, 19:09:59 »
Thank you for the responses regarding tail lights.  Very interesting.  Love the pictures posted.

Another question from a newbie....the two cars shown posted (silver and gray) do not seem to have the "Autokraft" script below the "AC" emblem on the trunk lid (boot).  The cars I have seen for sale here in the U.S. have the "Autokraft" script on the trunk lid.  Were the cars posted modified to eliminate the script, or is this how they were produced for the English market?  Also, the U.S. cars I have seen (except for the Dingman car) have a different dash area.  Most Autokraft cars I have seen have a center stack area that runs from the dash down to the drive tunnel, which area includes knobs for the ventilation controls.  Have the posted cars had the dashes modified to eliminate the portion running down to the drive tunnel?

Any idea how much Redline wants for their red, left hand drive car?

Thank you!

SB7019

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2012, 20:11:31 »
The Redline car is POA which normally means " if you ask it will be expensive"!  They have two other MkIV's for sale at around $130k.

Most MkIV's were built with the T shaped dash but AC would build pretty much anything you asked for so some owners specified the straight dash that is closer to the "original" look.  Lightweights were also built with a straight dash.  Some cars have also been modified in later life to have straight dashes.  The same principles essentially apply to the Autocraft script.  When my car was built I was able to specify exactly what was on it including badges, dash, etc.

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2012, 20:30:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by BBK

Thank you for the responses regarding tail lights.  Very interesting.  Love the pictures posted.

Another question from a newbie....the two cars shown posted (silver and gray) do not seem to have the "Autokraft" script below the "AC" emblem on the trunk lid (boot).  The cars I have seen for sale here in the U.S. have the "Autokraft" script on the trunk lid.  Were the cars posted modified to eliminate the script, or is this how they were produced for the English market?  Also, the U.S. cars I have seen (except for the Dingman car) have a different dash area.  Most Autokraft cars I have seen have a center stack area that runs from the dash down to the drive tunnel, which area includes knobs for the ventilation controls.  Have the posted cars had the dashes modified to eliminate the portion running down to the drive tunnel?

Any idea how much Redline wants for their red, left hand drive car?

Thank you!

Photos of the early MkIVs in England I've seen had the 'Autokraft' badge on the boot (trunk). Up until 1986, Brian Angliss's Autokraft was a separate company from AC and used the AC trademark under licence for the Mk IV. In 1986, Ford took up a 51% share in AC Cars and Brian Angliss also became Managing Director of AC Cars who were gearing up to produce their new Ace. The relationship soured in the early '90s and in 1992 Angliss bought out Ford's share in AC.

The grey car is one of a handful of Mk IV lightweights (26?) produced from 1990 onwards with the original dash from the '60s cars. The photos I've seen of the Lightweights either have the Cobra badge or the AC badge but not the Autokraft one. These cars are generally considered to be the pick of the Mk IVs - this one is on sale I believe for £150,000 ($237,000).

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/4100_results.asp?&dealerid=670&lCarID=1832353

The silver car is a late UK market Mk IV from 1994 and others of that time period also do not have the Autokraft badge.

I'm not clear when the Mk IV officially became an AC rather than an  Autokraft manufactured car but 1992, when Angliss took a majority stakeholding in AC, might have been the time.

In Europe, unlike the States, AC/Autokraft were allowed to use the 'Cobra' moniker until June 2002.

If you don't already have a copy, it's well worth getting hold of a copy of Trevor Legate's 'Cobra: The First 40 Years' which covers the Autokraft cars and history of the Company:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cobra-The-First-40-Years/dp/0955102006

Redline's contact details are at:

http://www.redlinepe.co.uk/contact-us

REV

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2012, 21:13:11 »
I used to own AK1023 which was a 1983 car, and that had never had an AutoKraft badge, so I'm pretty sure that these badges were either sporadic or a later edition. It also originally had small "AC" badges on both the bonnet and boot lids. These were the same size as the Cobra badges.

Incidentally quite a strange thing with the silver Nostalgia car that it has quick lifts on the front and a bumper bar on the back.

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2012, 21:21:26 »
Looks as if you get both, according to the advert.

SB7019

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2012, 21:38:22 »
Looks like you get different exhausts and rear view mirrors too.

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2012, 04:02:33 »
Lots of terrific information....thank you.  Looks like there was a lot of potential variance available on the car depending on individual preference and how the cars could be ordered.  Very interesting!  I will check with Redline on their car...thank you to all.

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2012, 12:13:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by BBK

Lots of terrific information....thank you.  Looks like there was a lot of potential variance available on the car depending on individual preference and how the cars could be ordered.  Very interesting!  I will check with Redline on their car...thank you to all.

This one is also lhd and has passed California emissions standards - AC Owners Club member's car:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C295826#

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2012, 17:07:40 »
The grey car is stunning.

Gus

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2012, 19:36:32 »
Chafford......thank you.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2012, 23:36:50 »
Holy Smokes!  Well, that sale result should make everyone pretty happy!

French Frie

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2012, 00:37:16 »
Everyone... But those who are seeking for one, and who see their dreams escaping [;)] !