Author Topic: AK 1011 on Ebay  (Read 27992 times)

French Frie

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2012, 23:17:53 »
Oh, I see... C'est la vie ;)!
   Is there any chance that it will be ready for the "real" 24h, ie Le Mans Classic in July ? I'll be there with AK1113 (never missed since 2002)...

REV

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2012, 23:34:28 »
It should be finished by then but I won't be there. Hopefully in two years time we'll come over and have a look.

It would be a great trip.

:-)

French Frie

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2012, 23:46:07 »
Yep, great trip... Maybe not as huge as Goodwood Revival, but a myth... And more exotic to you, Brits [;)] !

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2012, 08:59:57 »
Olivier, do Your dashboard in the way you like it. It is quite simple because the main shape is a L. The outer ends are not bended forward as with the 60s cars so it can be done(the dash only) in 2 weekends if the paper patterns for all the cutouts are prepared in advance, all the parts are on the shelf inclusive glue and cover material. Just the flange for your glovebox, if needed, has to be formed or welded in shape and position.
   One of the 2 side covers arround the door hinge area needs to be fabricated new because it will not fit the straight dash.

Together with steering column, switch and harness changes it should take you not more then 4-5 relaxed weekends during the winter if you organize all the parts before.

Use the same attachment points as the t-dash and build ourself a harness with  the original connectors to the main loom and you can rework it to original t-dash in 2 days
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2012, 17:37:54 »
Hello to all.  I am new to this forum.  I was the high bidder for AK 1011 and it has been a bit of a saga in terms of the auction.  Not sure where to start, but perhaps to advise that the sale has unraveled...not due to interest on my part!  The seller was starting to flake out on me and then emailed me that he wanted to back out of the sale a couple of days ago.  It seems that the seller was not quite prepared to sell the car, after owning it for 21 years, and due to being very busy, issues mechanically with the car (brakes seized), and seeming personal things going on such that he did not have the time to deal with the sale, he requested that we cancel the auction.  I have to say I was disappointed, but it is probably for the best based on the way things were going.  Here is the background on the car from my various discussions and emails with the owner.  It is an early car and was imported directly from England by a friend of the current owner.  The seller in England was a dealer (don't know who) and the first owner of the car was a Saudi prince who had two AK Mk IV's...a red one with white interior that went to France, and AK 1011 (the Ebay car) which is black but had a white interior at one point.  I do not know when the interior was changed to black.  AK 1011 was in England and then imported by a friend of the current owner.  I was able to speak with Mark IV, a poster on this forum, and he kindly spoke with me about Autokraft cars and said he had heard a story from Mr. Angliss about the Saudi prince cars and relayed other interesting stories to me (thank you Mark IV!).  The current owners's friend who imported the car was in a front end accident the badly tweaked the fenders and hood.  The current owner purchased the car from the friend and then ordered an entire front clip from Brian Angliss.  The new front clip was 427 style vs. short nose.  The original engine is not with the car as it blew up at one point.  The owner put in a stroker engine that apparently runs quite well. The original windshield was replaced with a more raked windshield but the one that came with the car is still available along with the A/C components and many other parts.  I saw some photos of the chassis...mostly dry but some surface rust and one area that needed some attention.  I had planned to fly into Miami to see the car and transact the sale.  The owner was not easy to reach and not particularly communicative on when I could come there.  He did not provide additional photos of the car and title as promised and did not have the parts together.  When he got the car from storage, one of the rear brakes and front brakes had seized up.  He wrote and asked to cancel the sale as the car was not in a condition for me to see and he did not have time to deal with the brake issues.  As I was getting a bad feeling on how this was all coming together and changing stories from the seller on when i could come there, and then also pushing the details of the sale off on a friend as he was too busy to deal with it, I agreed to withdraw from the sale.  So...I guess that is how it goes sometimes.  As for the auction price, I felt I had room to not only acquire the car, but to invest some dollars to bring it up to proper snuff.  My plan was to  bring it back to original specification...its former glory.  The end product would have been fantastic.  I live in the Bay Area of California and had a shop lined up to work on it too.  So, at some point perhaps the seller will be ready to sell the car again and hopefully be ready to conclude a sale with a buyer.  For me...well, I am still in pursuit of an Autokraft car. The AC heritage, aluminum body, fantastic looks and performance have me sold to get a car.  That's my story on AK 1011.  Thanks for listening

REV

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2012, 18:50:40 »
Sorry to hear you were let down.

People become emotionally attached to these cars and it seems the current owner probably is. I'm sure given time you'll find a suitable car or maybe even this one!

Good luck.

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2012, 19:04:39 »
Sorry to hear your news.

Here's a Mk IV being advertised in the US at the moment- more expensive than AK 1011 but less to spend on restoration!

http://www.bellevuecars.com/newandusedcars/8663/1735514/a2fb5e81-ca32-423b-8106-4fd2f2c869cf/none/1988-AutoKraft-Cobra-Bellevue-WA-98004.aspx

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2012, 20:05:39 »
REV, thanks for your reply.  I agree....I think that letting go of the car was a factor in all of this as well and that he was pretty attached to it.  I beleive he plans to address some of the issues with the car as it needs some work and may place it for sale in the future.  In the interim, I plan to keep looking! [:)]

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2012, 20:09:08 »
Chafford, thanks for the lead on the yellow car.  I had called on that one yesterday and the salesman said that it looks like they have a deal in the works on it.  They took my information and will call if it falls out.  Thanks!

SB7019

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 20:27:28 »
There is always the Dingman car at RM auctions due in a few days - though I suspect it will not be cheap as it is a very nice spec and looks absolutely gorgeous!

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 20:53:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by BBK

Chafford, thanks for the lead on the yellow car.  I had called on that one yesterday and the salesman said that it looks like they have a deal in the works on it.  They took my information and will call if it falls out.  Thanks!

Mk IVs are being snapped up quickly in the States. You could however check with the seller of AK 1121 whether the sale has gone through.

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/4564/cat/2/perpage/12/sort/1/date/1164778912

The Dingman auction car is beautiful and is offered without reserve:

http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=DM12&CarID=r147

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 22:43:32 »
Thank you for the leads.  The Dingman car looks very nice but the estimated pricing is beyond what I would want to spend.  It being a no reserve auction means that I could get it for less possibly, so I will look into how to bid on that car.  I would have to bid by phone I guess as the auction is in New Hamshire.  I looked into the red car (AK 1121) as it was on EBay at one time.  The owner and I communicated via email and it appears he has sold it to someone in Europe (Belgium or Switzerland I think?).  He was very helpful and gave me Mark IV's name and that is how I was able to get a hold of him.

REV

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 23:30:52 »
I can see why you like British Racing Green now Chafford. That is a stunning car.

My experience of renovations is that it's cheaper to buy already restored... Much cheaper!

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2012, 02:02:27 »
A question I have that I am hoping someone can answer.  The Dingman car has different tail lights (one oblong light each side).  All Mk IV's I have seen have the two rounded tail light on each side in the rear, one on top of the other.  Were the tail lights on the Dingman car an alteration from the norm, or was this a possible way of ordering a car from Autokraft?  I have noted that most Cobras (actual Shelby cars and clones) are equipped with the oblong tail lights vs. the rounded ones.  Not sure how the AC's came equiped normally in this regard.

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1011 on Ebay
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2012, 08:19:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by BBK

A question I have that I am hoping someone can answer.  The Dingman car has different tail lights (one oblong light each side).  All Mk IV's I have seen have the two rounded tail light on each side in the rear, one on top of the other.  Were the tail lights on the Dingman car an alteration from the norm, or was this a possible way of ordering a car from Autokraft?  I have noted that most Cobras (actual Shelby cars and clones) are equipped with the oblong tail lights vs. the rounded ones.  Not sure how the AC's came equiped normally in this regard.

All the Mk IVs I have seen have the two light arrangement at the back.

So it is likely that the Dingman car has had the lights changed.

As far as I'm aware all the original Shelby 427s had the single light arrangement. The coil sprung AC 289 Sports sold outside the US in the late '60s had the twin light arrangement on the first cars and the single light arrangement on later cars (information from Rinsey Mills' book 'Original AC Ace and Cobra')

The AC 427 Mk111 'continuations' built in the '90s and '00s by AC (and currently by AC Heritage) had the single light at the rear.

This left-hand drive MkIV is on sale in the UK at present at Redline Engineering:

http://www.redlinepe.co.uk/ac-cobra-mkiv-red