Author Topic: David Wagner  (Read 25373 times)

Chafford

• View Profile
David Wagner
« on: May 19, 2012, 21:33:21 »
Came across these wonderful cars built (and restored) by David Wagner who imported a run of AC Mk111 427 'continuations' in the mid 1990s just before Brian Angliss's AC operation went under. David Wagner currently runs the operation with his son and also restores original '60s cars.

$140,000 (£86,000) will get you an exact (Kirkham) copy of an original down to the AC cars chassis plate.

Dave Wagner's work (including photos of CSX 2553) can be seen in more detail here (takes ages to download unless you have 'Download Accelerator Plus' freeware but worth waiting for).

http://images.ebizautos.com/sites/7863/pages/David_Wagner_Built_Aluminum_Cobras.pdf

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 14:55:07 »
I can attest to Wagner's work. I know him and met him at several events. His cars are built to the highest quality. He was very kind in assisting getting the springs for my Ace.

Gus

Mark IV

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 02:14:39 »
I actually gave Dave his first "Cobra" ride ever in an AC Mk IV at SAAC Pocono in 1985.

However the "AC Cars" VIN plate is out of place/borderline fraud on a Kirkham that has never seen the inside of any of the places "AC" has inhabited including Malta!

Just my opinion.....

Chafford

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:22:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mark IV

I actually gave Dave his first "Cobra" ride ever in an AC Mk IV at SAAC Pocono in 1985.

However the "AC Cars" VIN plate is out of place/borderline fraud on a Kirkham that has never seen the inside of any of the places "AC" has inhabited including Malta!

Just my opinion.....

David Wagner makes it 100% clear he is selling a reproduction and the chassis number isn't going to fool anyone. However, I take your point. [;)]

Mark IV

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 12:12:44 »
I am sure David is not trying fool anyone. I just am always amazed by people putting the Shelby or AC plates on a replica. They know they won't fool those who know, but certainly take pride in fooling those who don't and get off doing so.

jbottini

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 13:46:37 »
Well put MKIV

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 14:25:08 »
Oh, Rick, I don't think it's quite that serious in many cases. I have a Kirkham 289 FIA and I wanted it to look like the real thing. At no point in time ever was my motivation to "fool" the laypeople or pretend in front of others it is something it is not. The fact is people want the "legend", but most can't afford it. And let's face it (license or not) putting Shelby badges on a Superformance 427 is akin to the same. [;)]

Chafford

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 16:09:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

Oh, Rick, I don't think it's quite that serious in many cases. I have a Kirkham 289 FIA and I wanted it to look like the real thing. At no point in time ever was my motivation to "fool" the laypeople or pretend in front of others it is something it is not. The fact is people want the "legend", but most can't afford it. And let's face it (license or not) putting Shelby badges on a Superformance 427 is akin to the same. [;)]

Gus

I'm sure Mark IV aka Rick wouldn't dream of putting an AC or Cobra badge on his Superformances. [:D][:D]

And on the Kirkham, do you have a Thames Ditton or Brooklands plate. [;)]

Here's the original style AC plate from 1962:

An Autokraft Mk IV chassis plate from the early '80s (the Mk IV register has no information on AK1001):

An AC Cars, Brooklands chassis plate from 2002 (the car is a Mk11 FIA continuation):

And a Mk V plate from 2006/07 (AC doesn't advertise the Maltese origins!)

Mark

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 00:10:30 »
My Kirkham has a Kirkham chassis plate. I was referring to Cobra badges on the nose and tail. Again: not trying to pretend anything.

shep

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 01:30:02 »
Call me old fashioned, but I would rather wear a real Seiko watch than a fake Rolex. Am I getting too old and grumpy? Where's my cocoa?

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 02:09:21 »
Shep, you are a more fortunate man than most, so you get to drive and race the real thing. Good for you !!! Which makes it a bit easier for you to make that statement.

Gus

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 09:34:21 »
Gus.

There will never be enough Originals to Satisfy the Enthusiasts who hanker after the REAL THING,  Those of us with the Originals are only Custodians, who eventually hand them onto our Kids or new generation of enthusiastic Custodians.

For those unfortunate  who have not a original then a Copy is the nearest and best thing ( Flattery etc),  Lets hope our future Custodians are not passed on  Copies as originals..[:(]..[B)]..

Most Important, What ever one has,  Enjoy It, Use it and drive it like you stole it!..[;)]

PS...  Andy..  We might have grey hair, but at least we have our original thatch.....

Keith..[:)]

Chafford

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 09:56:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

My Kirkham has a Kirkham chassis plate. I was referring to Cobra badges on the nose and tail. Again: not trying to pretend anything.

You missed the smilies [;)]

Chafford

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 10:07:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol

Gus.

There will never be enough Originals to Satisfy the Enthusiasts who hanker after the REAL THING,  Those of us with the Originals are only Custodians, who eventually hand them onto our Kids or new generation of enthusiastic Custodians.

For those unfortunate  who have not a original then a Copy is the nearest and best thing ( Flattery etc),  Lets hope our future Custodians are not passed on  Copies as originals..[:(]..[B)]..

Most Important, What ever one has,  Enjoy It, Use it and drive it like you stole it!..[;)]

PS...  Andy..  We might have grey hair, but at least we have our original thatch.....

Keith..[:)]

How would you define 'Real Thing' and 'Original' in the context of ACs?

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
David Wagner
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 11:09:49 »
Designed, Engineered & manufactured by AC, & that probably only applies to the Pre War period with perhaps the 2-litre saloon post war!