Author Topic: Disappointed by this forum?  (Read 24599 times)

Chafford

• View Profile
Disappointed by this forum?
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2007, 10:11:19 »
And here's a later MkIV with the 'lightweight' short nose and MkIII style dash:

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/4100_results.asp?&dealerid=10296&lCarID=1717106

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2007, 12:16:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

You'd love the MkIV Lightweight! [:)]
   ....Here are some more pictures (unfortunately no engine pictures). I'm sure Trevor Legate has some though!
   http://www.accobra.org.uk/gallery.php

CAROL who built what????
   CaRRoLL Shelby installed engines into chassis`/bodies formed on Thames Ditton AC built wooden bucks! OK, the coilsprung chassis design came from Shelby with much Ford input, but that`s it.
    What a gorgeous timewarp Cobra though. One  of the 22 of the limited run of 12. I`d love to put some miles on it! [:D]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2007, 13:26:28 »
Unfortunately, It's still has the not so good looking fiberglass inner fenders and the wimpy exposed master cylinder. Also the gearshift comes out funny! I thought the lightweight would be closer to the MKIII! Also an expansion chamber for the cooling system would go a long way to prevent over-heating! It's warm over here and my MKIV would overheat in traffic! It's alright guys' but I still like my Kirkham better, it's just too far from the original!
   Emmanuel

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2007, 16:37:53 »
Why can't a Lightweight be registered in the States? I know of at least one, including the one I almost (should have) purchased in Florida.
   Yeah I got loadsa pics thanks.....

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2007, 17:06:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate

Why can't a Lightweight be registered in the States? I know of at least one, including the one I almost (should have) purchased in Florida.
   Yeah I got loadsa pics thanks.....

Trevor, some states are easier than other, but as a general rule the markIV is seen by the government as a car coming from a bona-fide car manufacturer (AC/Autokraft), as such, it must meet all emissions and safety requirements for the year of manufacture (5MPH bumpers, air bags if from the 90s' or newer, etc) The MKIVs met the requirements for their specific years but the light-weight, not having 5MPH bumpers would not.
   However, when there is a will there is a way! In some states, it might be possible to register a light-weight as a kit car of if the car can be imported with a title from the 60s' or early 70s' it should be ok!
   Some states like Utah or Florida ask very little, some other like California ask for the "World"
   Incidently, California is mainly concerned about emissions, so if one wanted to bring a 1993 for example, one would have to install a 1993 or newer Mustang motor/geartbox with all the required pollution control that came with that year mustang, including wiring, engine warning lights etc. plus a mountain of paperwork and it would have to be inspected every 2 years!
   When I had my MKIV, I tried to re-register it under California SB-100 rule to avoid smog requirements. SB-100 is a California law that was sponsored by a local Hot-Rodder politician. It says that a Kit-Car can be registered according to it's looks or the date of the engine manufacture, for example a Cobra looks like a 1965 car so 1965 it is, or the engine is from 1966 so the car is 1966. The problem is that they will allow the first 500 cars per year to be registered that way. When I tried that with my markIV they said that AC/Autokraft was a bona-fide manufacturer and that the car did not qualify! Incidently, I think it is the main reason for the relatively low MarkIV resale value, this is also why Shelby chose to import rolling chassis and not finished cars (althought the rules were a lot more relaxed in the 60s').

Emmanuel

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2007, 11:19:30 »
How Ironic. That this thread should be brought back on topic by the one thing which is really disappointing about this forum!

quote:
Originally posted by untommupbox

<a*********************************">Three hip-hop artists have key parts
   in American Gangster.</a><br>
   <a **************************index.html">Andre 3000 takes a turn with
   Charlize Theron in Battle in Seattle.</a><br>
   <a***************************/">Robert De Niro and Al Pacino reunite next
   year in the crime drama...</a><br>
   <a ****************************.html">MORE big screen...
   </a>

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2007, 14:01:11 »
Perhaps no-one's really interested ?