Author Topic: Disappointed by this forum?  (Read 24605 times)

Roy Davies

• View Profile
Disappointed by this forum?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 11:36:12 »
I'm 44 and have a 57 Ace, AE206.  Don't know if that makes me a typical AC Owner but I absolutely love it!!

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 13:36:26 »
Hello folks,

My humble opinion is that access to this Forum should be restricted to members of the ACOC. That would certainly take some of the disappointment away. Also would it limit use of this forum to discuss matters of interest to AC owners. There are certainly enough subjects of interest regarding AC cars, from AC Sociables to MkVs and those of us who "play" here should have a genuine interest to "play" pro-AC.

There are enough forums on the web for discussing non-AC stuff.

Kind regards
   Constant Wagner
   MkIV
   Luxembourg

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 21:01:25 »
You all must have waaaaay too much time on your hands!! I own both a Kirkham 289 FIA and an Ac Aceca and love them both. Pretentious talk about who has or can own the real deal has no place here. I have enjoyed the forum a lot and made many contacts and gathered great technical information. i guess if you are trolling for reactions on the "kits" you will get it. Personally I find it ridiculous:here in Shelby land I feel that it is largely due to the enhousiasts that built the kits that the legend has stayed alive. Trevor Legate legitimately devoted quite a bit of space to the Replicas and kits and for owners of originals to look down on these enthousiasts i find not very befitting. I will agree though that this site should be used for the AC cars and somenone before me justifyably referred to club cobra or cobra country for forums on the kits. Hey, after all: the CSX cars were kits themselves!! Ac built the car, Shelby dropped in engine and trans: what's so different now??

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 16:54:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

You all must have waaaaay too much time on your hands!! I own both a Kirkham 289 FIA and an Ac Aceca and love them both. Pretentious talk about who has or can own the real deal has no place here. I have enjoyed the forum a lot and made many contacts and gathered great technical information. i guess if you are trolling for reactions on the "kits" you will get it. Personally I find it ridiculous:here in Shelby land I feel that it is largely due to the enhousiasts that built the kits that the legend has stayed alive. Trevor Legate legitimately devoted quite a bit of space to the Replicas and kits and for owners of originals to look down on these enthousiasts i find not very befitting. I will agree though that this site should be used for the AC cars and somenone before me justifyably referred to club cobra or cobra country for forums on the kits. Hey, after all: the CSX cars were kits themselves!! Ac built the car, Shelby dropped in engine and trans: what's so different now??

I agree 100%, right on the Mark, well said!

Emmanuel

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 21:16:49 »
I'll drink to the above comment also....

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2007, 02:11:54 »
I'll drink to most anything, rising of sum; setting of moon, but the issue is not the forum, but is the intent of select users.Do what youwill and so wwill the rest of us. But, if you are truly disappointed, I/we understand and will continue to if you chose not to come back.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 14:30:33 »
I think the forum is all the richer for allowing non-ACOC members(like myself)to participate, and whilst I did cringe a little at Emmanuel`s reception due to his "MkIV point of view", (which several of us tried to re-educate him on[:o)],)by no means do I wish to see members either banned or forced to leave for the odd harsh comment or response.
   Perhaps a few more categories would help channel the viewer to more or less relevant threads & postings.
   Agreed, this isn`t the place for exhaustive KitCar discussions, but many 'replica' owners have a lot more use from their vehicles than some members, and to discount their knowledgebase is to cut off one`s nose to spite the face.
   We`re all here for one main reason, a liking for the cars of AC, be we owners or not. [8D]

We`re all grownups here. [:D]
   Now where`s that drink?

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 17:49:50 »
Whimsical as ever young Nik - "we're all grownups here" indeed. You speak for yourself mate.....(now discuss)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2007, 06:37:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

I think the forum is all the richer for allowing non-ACOC members(like myself)to participate, and whilst I did cringe a little at Emmanuel`s reception due to his "MkIV point of view", (which several of us tried to re-educate him on[:o)],)by no means do I wish to see members either banned or forced to leave for the odd harsh comment or response.
   Perhaps a few more categories would help channel the viewer to more or less relevant threads & postings.
   Agreed, this isn`t the place for exhaustive KitCar discussions, but many 'replica' owners have a lot more use from their vehicles than some members, and to discount their knowledgebase is to cut off one`s nose to spite the face.
   We`re all here for one main reason, a liking for the cars of AC, be we owners or not. [8D]

We`re all grownups here. [:D]
   Now where`s that drink?

I agree 100%, It is good to have Non-ACOC members bring their experience and feedback. Kit-Cars have helped keeping AC alive in many peoples' mind. Also, today's kit car owner might be an AC owner tomorrow. As far as my MKIV point of view, it is what it is and it can not be changed easily, since it is based on personal experience. As I have written before, I once owned a MKIV some time ago and did not keep it very long since it was not what I wanted.
   There is nothing wrong about discussing the flaws or the good points or a particular vehicle, we have had no problem talking about the 428, but it seems that for some members, the MKIV is off limit. Funny. At the very least this thread has generated quite a bit of reaction and I think it has received more responses that many other.  [:)]

Emmanuel

terry3000me

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2007, 08:40:41 »
Quite a few of you owners, and enthusiast's, are not memebers of the ACOC. What can we do to get you to join? (You don't have to be an AC owner to join the club).

Terry

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2007, 14:04:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by terry3000me

Quite a few of you owners, and enthusiast's, are not memebers of the ACOC. What can we do to get you to join? (You don't have to be an AC owner to join the club).
   Terry

Pay for hypnotherapy for the other `alf to tolerate my 'interests',
   then I`m in![:D]

Years ago, there was an 'associate' member category for non-AC owners, as opposed to full membership,  I can`t recall the differences though.

quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate

Whimsical as ever young Nik - "we're all grownups here" indeed. You speak for yourself mate.....(now discuss)

Willing to bet I`m one of the youngest here, despite being the 'longest non-admin' member of the forum!
   But as the author`s dedication to me in my favourite Cobra book says: "To Nik, who knows about these things...and it sure beats the hell out of growing up!"[8D][8D][8D]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2007, 17:35:02 »
I have finally realized how I really feel about the MKIV, there is much ambivalence! I anybody cares to hear I will discuss otherwise let it be.

Emmanuel

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2007, 20:56:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

I have finally realized how I really feel about the MKIV, there is much ambivalence! I anybody cares to hear I will discuss otherwise let it be.

Emmanuel

You'd love the MkIV Lightweight! [:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2007, 02:29:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

quote:

Emmanuel

Looks nice, but can't legally be registered in the US! Too bad I probably would have liked it! Actually I have never seen a lightweight up close, where does it differ from a MKIII? Do you have any pics of the engine bay and of the dash?

Emmanuel

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2007, 08:51:32 »
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

quote:

Emmanuel

Looks nice, but can't legally be registered in the US! Too bad I probably would have liked it! Actually I have never seen a lightweight up close, where does it differ from a MKIII? Do you have any pics of the engine bay and of the dash?

Emmanuel

Here are some more pictures (unfortunately no engine pictures). I'm sure Trevor Legate has some though!

http://www.accobra.org.uk/gallery.php