Author Topic: COB 6054  (Read 19584 times)

100 IAN

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 18:02:14 »
Since trying to trace my wife's uncle's old Cobra - COB6054, two and a half years ago i found nothing except some pictures of it purporting to have taken part in an oldtimers meeting at the Nurburgring in 2010.

Bonham's auction catalogue has now landed on my doormat and COB6054 is to be auctioned in the New Year!

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22528/preview_lot/4779740/

Comparing Bonham's pictures with those posted here

http://www.cobracars.be/cob%206054.html

there seems to be some marked differences between the two cars, wheel arches, engine bay details etc and very worryingly the chassis plates don't seem to be identical if you look closely ..............?

I'm not a Cobra expert but i'm sure some of you are, what do you think?

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 18:18:41 »
Now that's amazing. It would almost lead one to believe that some folks might hide their authentic Cobra in the shed while building a replica from a Hawk/ Kirkham to go race. But surely, that's not possible, right?

rstainer

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 21:38:58 »
The norm for 'cobras' with newly-issued FIA HTPs is for the car to be a replica of an original destroyed many years ago. A smaller replica subset (about one car in ten with more generously budgeted owners) is the replica-clone, with the original in the garage. The Register leaf-spring replica appendix's 37 cars include four clones. The above evidence suggests that this should be 38 & five.

Happy thanksgiving, and roll on non-historic historic racing.

RS

TLegate

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 17:24:53 »
Quite right Cobra-Ned. No gentleman would ever consider stooping so low. I have faith in human nature and honesty will prevail at all times :)

nikbj68

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 18:46:11 »
Having noted the exact same, unusual layout of switches on the dash in both sets of photos, It`s clear to me that all of the period parts removed from this car for racing have now been refitted, the body mods have been reversed, 30 years of patina regenerated and there is only 1 6054 after all.

OR maybe not. [;)][:D]

shep

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 15:05:28 »
I watch Dr Who, and therefore know is quite normal to travel backwards in time! The Bonhams car is obviously one which came straight from 1966 in the Tardis

rstainer

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 15:00:36 »
The vendor has 'cloned' 6054 for racing purposes. This is increasingly common, the majority of newly issued FIA Historic Technical Passports being for recently-built Cobras.

I believe Bonhams will obtain the vendor's undertaking that he will neither sell the clone as COB 6054, nor continue to claim or assert that it is COB 6054 or JGF 272D.

RS

aaron

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 11:48:05 »
At least someone had the sense to build a clone and not wreck the real car for racing.

rstainer

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 13:22:13 »
This is not a view that is shared by any racers of historically correct cars (as opposed to recently-built lookalikes or much modernised continuous history cars). As Appendix K puts it “Historic competition is not simply another formula in which to acquire trophies, it is a discipline apart, in which one of the essential ingredients is a devotion to the cars and to their history. Historic Motor Sport enables the active celebration of the History of the Motor Car”.

I know of no historically correct Cobras that have been damaged beyond sympathetic repair in historic motorsport. The principal causers of carnage are recently-built hotrods that have no historical value with drivers who don’t know what historic motorsport is. All race licence holders who drive historic machinery will know what I’m talking about.

For spectators who want an example of what historic motorsport is not about, see grrc.goodwood.com/goodwood-revival/goodwood-revival-2014-race-highlights-rac-tt

The leading candidate for the 2014 idiotic driving in a recently-built cobra hotrod prize demonstrates his difficult-to-improve-upon qualifications at about 1min 35 secs.

RS

nikbj68

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 15:49:23 »
Looks like we have a replica Aaron onboard, too. [;)]

aaron

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 06:46:23 »
I do appreciate what you are saying Robin, at least the real car has not been butchered to build a race car . I would rather see real cars race at historic events, I dont think I have been cloned Nik , not as far as I am aware ! [:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 09:36:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by aaron... I would rather see real cars race at historic events, I dont think I have been cloned Nik...[:)]
Aaah, relief! [;)]

TLegate

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 18:04:52 »
I'm working on cloning myself so I can photograph Cobras at different corners during the Revival. Twice the number of snaps! Strangely, Lady L seems a bit cool on the idea....

I feel a bit sorry for those owners who do bring the real deal to the circuits. Maybe they should be given a 30 second advantage over the hot-rods? For what it's worth I think it makes the double victory on the Tour Auto by 2130 (non-cloned)driven by Lynn/Kivlochan all the more remarkable. I am told on first-hand authority that every single part on that car was gone over at scrutineering and everything had to comply to the letter, down to road exhausts and 7.5-inch wheels. Every other Cobra was waved through on race pipes and 8.5 inch wheels. So they just drove a bit faster and won the thing! And with a modicum of luck, they'll do it again....

rstainer

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2014, 17:16:12 »
The giver of this first-hand information is neither an authority nor correct. FIA Recognition #115 allows for 6” (153mm), 6½” (165mm), 7” (178mm) & 8¾” (223.5mm) as well as 7½” (190.5mm) rims. The position on exhaust systems is also clear.

RS

nikbj68

• View Profile
COB 6054
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2014, 17:58:47 »
BUT, the event in question was the Tour Auto, which has it's own regulations, some Brits have previously been penalised for not having French air in the tyres!!! [:o)]
   However, a certain entrant of 'local' origin did eventually incur a penalty for using said 8.5" wheels having been told not to... [B)]