Author Topic: 3000ME Heated Windscreens  (Read 7608 times)

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
3000ME Heated Windscreens
« on: April 26, 2012, 22:45:55 »
I still have these heated screens for 3000ME and can bring them to Dunkeld in June if anyone wishes to take them south. They are of course foc within A.C.O.C. You will get them in a large estate car, but a bit heavy and bulky for our sporting machines

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 14:14:50 »
Thanks Barrie. I am not sure whether any members are making the journey with a support vehicle in pursuit. If so, we will try to organise the transfer of screens at Dunkeld. Andy.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 15:56:06 »
As there has been a number of suggestions and expressions of interest I thought to see exactly what I have. So I trekked up to the hay loft to investigate: There are 27 windscreens, all Triplex, heated and Sundym 'tinted.' This colour is standard for MEs - it looks like a tint, but is some sort of clever UV limiting formulation. The heated element is not standard on the Mk.1 ME, but would have been on the MK.II hence all these 'screens being in the Triplex warehouse in Glasgow. They will fit straight in to all MEs. Each screen has two heating panels, from memory 10 amps each, so a couple of sturdy wires for 12v feed and two more to earth should see you de-iced and demisted. Not that the electric supply is mandatory of course. The Triplex system is not long lasting and you might just install it without connecting the heating. I remember on 169 that it was very useful, but within two or three winters there were individual heating elements in each panel which had gone open circuit. Personally I would take the trouble to add the wiring, relay and a switch, with a warning light, whilst fitting the new 'screen.
   All this glass together is quite heavy, but it would go in a decent estate car or Range Rover. I rather have my doubts about a pallet service as damage would all too easily occur. Anyway I will be pleased to fit in with any plans, if you have an urgent need I'm afraid you will need to do some long distance driving.

johnhannam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 10:20:13 »
Hi Barry,
   My heated screen is working fine [touch wood] but it may be useful to have a spare.How much are you asking?
   Regards,
   John
   ACOC member 4718

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 12:57:19 »
John the screens were rescued from Triplex and cost me nothing. They are, as I said, foc to the A.C.O.C. Of course once the Club takes them on then the spares system could be making some kind of charge towards Club funds - not my part of ship. We just need to get them south where most MEs reside.
   I am pleased to hear that your Triplex heating elements are all behaving . Most cars I have owned with this system seem to lose elements quite often. Must be me.......

johnhannam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 19:53:04 »
Hi Barry,
   Can I come and collect a screen from you. I am an ACOC member and could use a spare.
   John Hannam
   Club member 4718

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 23:30:00 »
John of course you can come and collect some glass. Maybe you could manage some extras for other owners if they contact you ? In any event email me at bird@oldmanse.net

johnhannam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 17:12:33 »
I was going to collect a batch of screens to bring them furtthur south but,
   Various club members have a cache of spares anyway
   It's a long way to Aberdeen!
   I am happy to be involved in a windscreen rescue initiative with the club but perhaps we need a plan to bring them all into safe storage. Over to you.
   Regards
   John