Author Topic: Copper fuel line  (Read 7334 times)

AK1131

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« on: April 22, 2012, 00:11:26 »
I am in the process on installing fuel injection. My buddy leading the project in concerned the existing copper fuel line may not be large enought to deliver the proper volume for the fuel injection system. A 45PSI electric pump is being installed at the tank. Please advise.  [?]

jbottini

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:37:38 »
The fuel line for the 302 EFI and carb is the same I believe

ak1234

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:20:56 »
.... the line on my 88 EFI is 1/4 ID ... what concerns me is the use of copper which doesn't normally hold up well to vibration.

Ron

jbottini

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 09:23:12 »
It is not copper, but has a coating that looks like copper. Line is legal and will flowvsuffient fuel. mKIV can you assist here...wasn't line steel ot something coated with a copper looking coatin?

Mark IV

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 13:57:15 »
JBo is correct, it is a steel line with a copper typr anti-corrosion coating. Very common in the UK

Up pretty early for a retired person, aren't we?

AK1131

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 15:13:37 »
We are going to run braided line on the supply side and use the existing copper coated return line. By the way, when I was removing the supply line at the tank. It looked fine until I moved the line. At that moment it started to leak.

ak1234

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 02:24:39 »
... good to know .. in 28 years in the Pipefitting Industry that would be a first ... great idea I must say ... only seen copper coated stainless once before. Now I know I can use SWADGELOCK fittings and SS braided hose ... excellent.

Thanks JB and MKIV.

Ron

westcott

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 22:22:18 »
If You want to keep the original Material stay with the copper coated lines. if You have the rectangular channel beside one main frame tube and need to keep the emission lines as well maybe You  dont have the room inside the channel for 2 braided hoses plus the emission lines.

I normally use plastic covered aluminum tube 10mm OD and close to 8mm ID from the tank  to the engine bay or firewall position, this is enough for any fuel injection. From these tubes up to the carb or EFI unit I use the dash -6 braided hose.
   You can buy these fuel line tubes at any race shop in Europe, they are connected to any -6 AN  fitting by cutter type rings and a tube to AN  adapter.

With these aluminum tubing You shouldbe able to run a new, durable and easy to install delivery and return line in a limited package inside the steel channel or beside the frame
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

AK1131

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 18:20:52 »
Dear Westcott,
   where/how did you route the aluminum tubing?

SB7019

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 18:54:10 »
AK1131

I'll e mail to you a couple of pics that show the routing of mine following an upgrade of the fuel pump, filter and lines.

AK1131

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 23:21:49 »
Please send photos

AK1131

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 23:54:32 »
Can the steel fuel supply line be removed from the box channel without damage? I would like to replace it with a larger fuel line. The FI manufacturer recommends a supply line larger that the existing 1/4"

westcott

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 11:43:07 »
You have to remove the silicon sealer completely on both sides of the box section. Then you must work in steps  straightenIng the line at front and pull it to the rear of the car again and again until the complete length is pulled out of the channel.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

SB7019

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 20:38:06 »
AK 11311
   Photos should have come through  on 22nd, April .    Am away photographing at World Superbikes at the moment but will resend as soon as I return on Sunday night.

AK1131

• View Profile
Copper fuel line
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 15:15:04 »
Westcott, Thank you for the information. I am still at odds with my buddy regarding the adaquacy of the existion fuel line. Everyone on this forum tells me it is large enough but the FI manufacturer suggest 3/8's to 1/2 OD. Here is my question, With a 45 PSI fuel pump at the tank, what is the amount of fuel at the intake using the existing 1/4" OD fuel line (GPH)?