Author Topic: AC 427 S/C Continuation  (Read 30352 times)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2008, 14:20:46 »
Hi 2 U All

Dont wont 2 B a KILL JOY  But I thought this was THE AC OC Forum??
    Wot a load of COB lers

Y so much time wasted on KIT CARS,, Surely they should remain in / on  the KIT CAR Forums,  lets cut the Crap and raise the Bar to the correct level.

Flattery is the best etc etc But surely ACs built in Thames Ditton are No 1,  with Anglis ACs etc built in Weybridge and even ACs built in  Frimley 2nd.

Kirkhams have produced a bloody good Body and chassis combination which sets the standard for Kit Cobras, often with superior materials and specification,   After all we are now in the 21st Century.

Please, Please lets be serious and keep the Kit Cars off this Forum....... I know I haven't A Cobra.... just £125K AC Ace Bristol but without the Ace there would never have been a COBRA !!!!

Well,  enough said,  I think that has put the cat amongst the pigeons...  better keep my head down and watch the Six Nations !

What ever you have / drive....... Enjoy !!

Keith

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2008, 15:50:47 »
Keith, I don't want to be rude but I would like to make two points:

1) If no one talks about so called "Kit Cars" this board will go to sleep! and let's face it, the Bristol  and Ace people have not been the most eloquent nor the most active on this board. (This is unfortunate as a matter of fact)

2) If your car may be worth 125K it's precisely because of the kit car people and the Cobras which have generated interest for the older cars.

As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with Kit Cars and especially Kirkhams who supply a great deal of parts for our genuine cars. You might even need their help one day for a part for your car. Besides Angelis started in the "Kit Car" business in the 70's and what is Malta doing at present, they sell rolling chassis which are another name for "kit Car".

Regards, Emmanuel [:D]

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2008, 17:02:49 »
AC Offer original (none GRP) bodied cars,if Malta are only making the GRP Bodies where is AC Making the Aluminium bodied cars? Do i assume these are made by a su-contractor & not AC Ltd?

Robin

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2008, 19:31:16 »
Emmanueld

I dont take your comments as being rude,  but you have shown your true colour with point number 2 !!!

Please elaborate,  How many parts on a AC Ace Bristol (1957) are common to / with a Kirkham Cobra ??  The boot handle, the AC logo pedals, the Mota-lita steering wheel & .. maybe the Smiths instruments.

Sorry Emmanueld,  you cannot compare the two.  They are as different as Chalk & Cheese.

As stated earlier....  Kit Cars will always be Kit Cars....  Many  a Cobra enthusiast has built a Bloody good, very accurate Cobra  Kit Car which has eventually cost him /her  more than buying a AC Cobra MK1V,  Now be serious a Kit car is a Kit car whilst the  Cobra Mk1 / 11 / 111 & the MKIV represent the AC Marque........End of Discussion.

However, Enjoy your set of wheels!!

Keith

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2008, 20:46:46 »
Keith,

What do you mean by my true colors? I just want to say that since Kirkham is now producing an exact replica leaf springs Cobra, there are probably quite a few parts that are common between an early Cobra and an AC Ace or Bristol. Suspension parts, bushings and even some body parts. So owners of these early car should be able to benefit from this as well. For example, for somebody wishing to install a rack and pinion system for racing.
   I owned a MKIV, I drove a couple other, no comparison with the Kirkham. Just open the hood, the whole inner fender system is completely different, open the hood of a Kirkham and it's exactly the same as a MKIII. A couple years ago, I had some engine work done and the car was sitting next to an SC MKIII owned by LA's biggest car collector, his engine was out as well, both cars were identical except that the chassis welds on my car were far cleaner.
   I just sold my MKIII Kirkham 427 for almost twice the price of a MKIV here in the US, it is virtually indistinguishable from an original. You can see some pictures of it below. As far the little hardware you mention, it is available everywhere, The smiths instruments, I had them made since the modern cheap plastic parts made today don't resemble the original. The car went to Europe, I am sure the new owner will be as happy as I was.

And Yes, let's face it! What is generating this renewed interest in vintage ACs' lately? It's the Cobra people, with Mark IIIs' going for a $ million + and "Leaf Springs" 1/2 of that, people are now looking at the old ACs'. And this is good, they were really undervalued until recently here in the US and they deserved more.

For anyone interested, this is what a Kirkham looks like under the hood! These pictures taken before I painted the car.

And my MKIV, no comment.

Regards,

Emmanuel [:D]